Click for Northern Lights Click for Walker Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Mulder

355 swim platform ?

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by seldomdry, Mar 6, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. seldomdry

seldomdry Member

Is the 355 platform form hollow core or solid? Need to add dinghy davits.

THX
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

If it's the closed type (about 4"+ thick) it could be cored or hollow (very unlikely it's solid). You'll want to bolt all the way through anyway to put on a backing plate. In any case, tapping with your knuckle or drilling a test hole will tell you what's in the middle. You can close up the hole with a little Quick Fix if needed.
  3. timjet

timjet Member

Did you add the dinghy davits?

On my 355 I used the previous owners weaver davits and added the weaver leaver which allows the outboard motor to stay on the dinghy. The motor rotates 90 deg while the dinghy is rotated vertically. The dinghy and motor do not move once in position, even in rough seas.
  4. seldomdry

seldomdry Member

Thanks timjet.
    Are your davits bolted thru the swim platform? I am going to use 9" SS bolts with a 1/4" aluminum backing plate on bottom side of platform.
  5. timjet

timjet Member

seldomdry

The davits clips were installed by the PO and it looks like there were screwed into the swim platform. Not bolted or supported by a backing plate though I can't see to confirm that.

I had to install a pad eye to support the motor support rod and that was simply screwed into the swim platform with probably inch and a half SS screws and plenty of caulk.
  6. sam356

sam356 Member

Be careful there is a fuel tank there, if you go into your aft bedroom you can take draw and back panel off to see what you have.