Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Westport

35 Bertram deck questions

Discussion in 'Bertram Yacht' started by Pat Spaeth, Jan 5, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pat Spaeth

Pat Spaeth New Member

I have a 1983 35 Bertram, deck is original teak over glass. In the process of preparing deck to be lifted out to replace leaking fuel tank. Anyone have experience in removal of this type of deck. It appears that it is screwed thru teak- down every 18” around perimeter. I’m hoping I can remove screws and perimeter chinking and it will pop out??
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Assuming it is a gas boat. Tanks never failed with diesel.

The last of the old Bertram support I know of is;
    http://www.hightidemarine.cc/

Some complaints on e-mails have been had. Call them directly.

They may have a new government proof tank, ready for your model.

Welcome to YF.
    Keep us up on your adventures.
  3. Pat Spaeth

Pat Spaeth New Member

Ya it’s gas. The tank replacement isn’t a big issue. More worried about getting deck lifted off without damage. Glass underneath teak looks great looking up from bilge
  4. Pat Spaeth

Pat Spaeth New Member

Mostly looking for anyone who has lifted my type of deck to see difficulty
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

<-- 58 Bert MY there.
    I am a Bertram fan, Sadly can not be of help.
    Those kids may At hightidemarine may be of help.
    A good group of Bertram fans here. Sadly, Not a lot of gas 35 owners.
    Maybe a similar design owner may come on this thread and help.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

YES, there is a boat yard on the Miami River that makes/made tons of those decks for Bertram and for Bertram owners. They may have even made the origionals. Call them. The name of the company is Glasstech in Miami,FL. Here's their website.

Glass-Tech Corporation
  7. Pat Spaeth

Pat Spaeth New Member

Thank you,
  8. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

I removed the screwed down teak deck on previous 1979 Bertram 38 111. Under it was the original wood deck that once had Nautolex covering. Removed in cut up pieces & replaced it all with a fiberglass deck from Glass Tech that 4 of us simply lowered into place. More recently removed teak on top of factory fiberglass deck on current 46 but the gelcoat under it was a mess so refinished with Awlgrip. Owner at Glass Teck is: Nelson Fernandez, but good luck getting him on the phone. Wound up driving to Miami but he was not there and only one I found that spoke English was a girl in the office. Not at all impressed with the yard so wound up using one in Ft. Laud instead.
  9. Pat Spaeth

Pat Spaeth New Member

Ok, just wondering how difficult it is to pull whole deck up (teak attached to fiberglass) don’t need a new deck. Mine is in good shape. Just trying to get at fuel tank
  10. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

Best guess is it's going to be extremely heavy with the teak still on it and if you have a fighting chair we had to attach a keel mount when replacing the original wood deck on the 38. Once did a repair on both of the gas tanks under the front deck in a 27' Magnum Sport where they never should have been placed. When the MarineTex repair of the topside seam cracks did not hold up, the MarineTex people were very helpful in providing a more thorough prep procedure but I had already replaced the aluminum tanks.
  11. Lunderic

Lunderic Member

I've pulled the deck on a Bertram 33' Sportfish. The Deck was fiberglass only no teak. I removed all screws and cut the caulk around the perimeter. It came out no problem although it was much heavier than I expected. In my case the balsa coring was soaked which is why I was pulling it. I ended up using the gin pole and block and tackle and a few people, but all was straight forward. Let us know how it goes.
  12. Pat Spaeth

Pat Spaeth New Member

Spent couple days removing chinking around perimeter, and pulling screws. Crane was able to pull deck out in perfect condition. Came out a lot easier than I thought. Next cutting apart faulty tank and replacing with new aluminum tank
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

aluminum tank??
    Ug
    Whats wrong with a proper fiberglass tank?
  14. Pat Spaeth

Pat Spaeth New Member

It degraded like 100s of other Bertram tanks and was leaking fuel
  15. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

My 1979, 38' Bertram had a large single fiberglass fuel tank. Never a problem due to diesel but ethanol is bad news for fiberglass tanks and fuel lines not ethanol rated and evidently some backward run states don't allow non ethanol which is all I ever use in the small outboard boat even though she has an aluminum tank.
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I know how the old tanks were ate up, but the new tanks are built with a new government proof resin.
  17. Pat Spaeth

Pat Spaeth New Member

The problem also is showing up on diesel tanks. Ethanol is an issue, but it appears that the bigger issue is tank design. They all have baffles which are riveted to the glass. Approx 300 rivets for a 285 gal tank. The start of tank failure seems to associated with rivet/s. I wouldn’t count on any of these original tanks holding up- nothing lasts forever.
  18. Pat Spaeth

Pat Spaeth New Member

I personally know of 5 Bertrams on Lake Michigan in past couple years with tank failures. 4 were gas, 1 was Diesel. All original tanks late 70s to late 80s. 33, 35s and a 38”
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Would not a new glass tank resolve these issues?
    Sorry for me to push this but I am a luver of glass tanks.
    I know there are replacement glass tanks that resolve the government fuel issues.
    I do encourage exact drop n play options.
    Anything other than a square alloy tank.
  20. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

Maybe that's why they changed to using aluminum.