Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger

3208's @ 375HP

Discussion in 'Engines' started by RossC, Jun 7, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. RossC

RossC Member

Any reason to run away from these at 7000 hours? The boat is not close so don't want to make the trip if 3208's have a internal self destruct at 7000 hours. They are in a 49' Classic Grand Banks so doubt they have been running flat out.
  2. mapism

mapism Senior Member

No reason to worry.
    The factory self destruction timing on those engines is set at 6000 hours, so obviously someone already hacked it, and you can now safely run them forever. :)
  3. RossC

RossC Member

General consensus around the internet seems to be that if you don't run 'em like you stole 'em, they can go 10000 hours+. Heads and head gaskets seem to be the only complaints, but not something that seems to be what I would call a common problem.
  4. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Yeah, sorry for the previous joke, I just couldn't resist following up your idea of self-desrtucting engines. :D

Back to the point, I'm far from being a 3208 expert, but also my understanding is that they are very durable engines.
    Possibly aside from the higher power version (440hp, if I'm not mistaken).
    But someone with a more specific experience will soon confirm or correct, as appropriate.
    captainwjm likes this.
  5. RossC

RossC Member

I was joking about the self destruct timer too, but I got a chuckle from your comment.

Looks like GB went away from the Lehman to the 3208 at some point. Almost all that I've seen in the late 80's/early 90's are sporting 3208's.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There is nothing positive about high strung 3208s.
    Non replaceable liners. High HP blocks are different from the original design.
    High HP core blocks are getting harder to find.
    And yet, some folks here have had good luck. Back to that divine blessings.

I have witnessed just to many horror stories.

There could be a reason that you keep asking about old & over HP - hour engines.
    Are you looking for another dock queen?
    I remember in another post you wanted to cruise to FL.
    There is no savings in picking up old abused engines.
    Unless your going to rebuild or repower.

With a rebuild or repower attitude, find a solid boat that fits what you want.
  7. RossC

RossC Member

No, not looking for a dock queen or a project. These 3208's are in later model GB's in the $200 - $300K range. I'm done looking at the lower price spectrum. Better to buy later model with fewer problems. I'd rather spend the money up front and enjoy the boat than be constantly working on it.

We started off looking under 100K. That yielded nothing but junk and repower candidates. Then we bumped the budget to $200K and the options got much better. At $300K we can find a turn key, low hours boat with new electronics that needs nothing. A 48ish pilothouse MY or a 42/46 GB would be my preference. We will be living aboard 6 or so months out of the year running the ICW from the Chesapeake to FL so livability is important. In the summer cruising the Chesapeake and New England coast.

The list is getting shorter and the least expensive boat is $219K. Everything on the list is turn key, low hours, modern electronics and newer than 2000.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I remember Fleming's with the high strung 3208s in them. Decent boat, insane engine selection.
    There was no redeeming values below her decks.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If you don't mind, I'd like to type a lil more;

I have a dream;
    Some way, some how, some body builds a serviceable boat with correctly match power.
    The Hatt 58 LRC can fit that tab.
    I was on a Deerfoot 64, that exemplified a properly built boat for a long life.
    I am told others are out there that compare, my view from this swamp does not reach far these days.

IMO; A boat of any quality should be used and maintained well.
    Anything mechanical needs service and will need access. Blowers to windlasses.
    The main engines should be in long life HP tune.
    The main engines should be in a real and proper sized engine room.
    During her extended life, engine work will be done including overhaul.
    The main engines should be rebuildable. This includes replaceable liners and room to work.
  10. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

What is the year and HP rating of the 3208's you're looking at? The 3208 is a good motor until you try to squeeze too much out of it. Up to 325hp is pretty safe, some will say the 375 hp is OK but absolute top. I think 375 is pushing it but depending on maintenance and how they were ran maybe not a deal breaker if you love everything else about the boat. If they are 400+ hp I personally wouldn't touch them.

I got a laugh out of your comment that with a $300k budget you can get turn key that needs nothing. There is no such thing at virtually any budget. Boats always need something. Even if its perfect today something will happen tomorrow. That's just the nature of the beast.
  11. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Duh - you listed the HP right in your title. Sorry, my bad, I know I saw it somewhere.
  12. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Amen to that.
    And just in case someone might raise the objection, nope, not even brand new boats "need nothing".
    A boat that needs nothing is the perfect definition of what wishful thinking is all about!
    Capt Ralph likes this.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Just found a 2000 cut sheet on a 450HP Cat 3208 TA. Listed for one year.
    Shortly before and after a 435HP was offered.
    The madness.
    These were disposable engines in fancy and short sport fishing boats.
    These were not rebuilt but replaced. Hence large saloon doors.
    Modern outboard rationale.

Replacing was the preferred method for the performance minded.
    Call your local Cat distributor. Ask what support is still available. Have your Depends ready.

You don't want these grenades below decks of a plush yacht.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Now, in natural tune, the 155 or even the 3208 T in 260 HP, could run and run and run.
    But, the rebuild day is coming. It's not rebuildable on board.
  15. RossC

RossC Member

Reminds me of when I would spend hours/days doing a simple repair on the airplane that should take 10 minutes. Sometimes you just want to get hold of the engineer in charge of that decision and kick him square in the nuts. Don't know why GB went this route but when I stepped the budget up and started looking at 1990+ boats, I see a lot of boats with 3208 375HP power. Older ones were mostly Lehmans and Cummins.
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If you needed twin 375 HP engines in a trawler, this may have been a cheap and short viewed answer.
    I'll never understand the need to try and over power a trawler to begin with.
    I've got to stop pounding this. Sorry to keep throwing negative waves at ya.
    th-1253447029.jpg
    T.T. likes this.
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Lets find you kids a nice boat.
    We have not got any styles from you yet?
    You need speed? Cockpit? Head room? More that 1,2 or 3 cabin & heads?
    Fly bridge? Sun pad?
    Hello pad?
  18. RossC

RossC Member

I agree. No reason to have 375hp x 2 in a trawler. We are gravitating toward pilothouse MY's. I'm more interested in the mechanicals than the brand of boat. Good reliable engines and systems. We are looking in the 42-48 range.

Looking at a '99 Bayliner 4788 tomorrow with Cummins BTA 375HP. I know it's a Bayliner, but I honestly can't find many complaints about this boat. Forum discussions are basically talking about owner mods and basic repairs. Owners seem to love them and usually own them for years, then just sell to move up to the larger version. Also seems to be pretty economical with fuel burn at hull speed about the same as a trawler the same size.

Pilothouse MY's that small aren't that plentiful. Plenty of them in the 50+ range. Really trying to keep it under $200K , great loop capable with comfortable liveaboard accommodations. Air draft has to be under 19' to do the loop.
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I don't have anything real bad to say about Bayliner or Meridian boats.
    They are solid and have a good engine package. Mostly cummins and I feel properly powered.
    Not a lot of displacement, nor a lot of V.
    Having lived on the Huckins dock for over 10 years and studying this similar hull design, it is a good (not great) compromise.
    You will still have to pick the weather days but they don't twist apart.
    They had built on Friday issues as most cost/point boats have. Survey them well.

For good service with common service parts.
    Just watch for sharp edges as I have spilled much blood in these.

You didn't mention the Great Loop before (or I didn't notice).
    One of these puppies can work well.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
  20. RossC

RossC Member

Yes, it's not a ocean explorer, but short of a possible fair weather run to the Bahamas, our mission is near coastal, ICW and possibly the loop. I've hear that the light displacement and shallow draft can make them roll a bit in beam seas. From the time I was 8 until 15 I spent summers on my grand parents 48 Alaskan. My mom would drop me off in Albany and I would go through the canal with them to St Claire MI for the summer. Then I did the reverse in the fall and mom picked me up in Albany. Now that we are retired, capable and can afford it, I would love to retrace those steps.