Click for Furuno Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker

30SI issue

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Capt Ralph, Apr 14, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

So my starboard, 32v, 30SI alternator stopped working 2 weeks ago.
    It is a brush less unit and usually very reliable. But now, just sits there and does nothing.
    I have a large diode charge isolator that allows for the port engine to help the stb batteries so not an emergency, just the port engine is taxed enough with an air compressor and second alternator for the inverter 24v bank.

Lets fix the stb alternator this week.

While still bolted on the engine, it is mounted on the port side of the stb engine. Just slide up a 5 gallon oil pail, have a seat and 99% is in hands reach.

Once I removed the back tin cover, I immediately reached up for a drink. What have I done to my poor lil alternator.

Attached Files:

2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

During my PTO seal service, Coolant was drained, All was rinsed off with a fresh water hose,,, AND SAT while I replaced the oil seal, serviced the H/E, replaced the old hoses and reassembled all.

20230414_142702a.jpg
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Pulled out more bourbon, contact cleaner, brass tooth brush and cleaned it all up.
    This evening I am so happy to report to Josie (wife) that we don't need to order a new alternator.
    Whewwww

Seems there are no rotors or stators around (this week) for rebuilds. Nobody wanted to offer a rebuild/exchange.
    My cost on a real Delco, new, 32v, 30SI was $550 plus tax and shipping.

So, near a bottle a hooch, half can of contact cleaner, old fingernail file, lots of naval language, darn lil thing is working better than before.

Reminder to all, Blow your alternators out with compressed air or WD40 after a hose down.
    Or call me, cover my bar tab and I'll have to fix it.

Owl Sideways.png
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
    Sarnico, leeky and Robertoman like this.
  4. cleanslate

cleanslate Senior Member

Da-Gum it , CR ! Didn't you ever read the directions on the back of a can of Gunk? Cover up things that you don't want to get wet before using and rinsing off!
    Cover up that alternator next time, and get a grip on your hose. Don't hit the seat.

But , yeah great job on the repair.
    I saved my old one I just replaced...think I'll take it apart and learn a little. You give me inspiration. See if I can get it to work again. Other wise it's going to the scrap yard.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

DuRecTons??
    Strange word to be??
    When I finally get involved and starting to work on things (14 years later), I don't stop to read any stinking DuRecTons.
    Ha
    Usually, things air dry as I know better to crank stuff up when wet.
    This time it bit back,,, dry..

As always, Thank you for your thoughts.
    I'll keep in mind this reading the label next time idea (ha)..
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2023