Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Ocean Alexander

1999 450 voyager slow speed

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Monepit, May 27, 2013.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Monepit

Monepit Member

I bought a 99 450 last sept. we brought it 700 miles home. No problems, ran great. According to the factory and 5 other 450 owners I know, this boat should run 29 mph at 2600 rpm. Mine does 20 mph at 2600 rpm. Runs great, no smoke, but only 20. Drop it to 2350 cruise and it does 17. Bottom is pretty clean and trim tabs work fine. Any thoughts on where to go from here.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Are you props the same size and pitch as the other boats?

Yours might be more heavily loaded and couldn't get to rpm so the props were chopped, one might have been damaged and they were chopped.

Do you have the same HP Engines/Gears as the other boats you are comparing to?

How are you getting your actual speed? By this I mean using a GPS? Log?
  3. timjet

timjet Member

In addition to what K1W1 said, what are the no load WOT rpm's of the engines.
    First you must determine if you have an engine problem, over propped problem or dirty bottom/prop problem.
    Eliminate the easy stuff first; clean bottom and props. After that check no load WOT, you will then know where to go.
    Trying to compare similar or even like boats doesn't always work. If your boat is heaver or bottom more fowled or weight is distributed differently or fuel is loaded differently, all have an impact.

What engines do you have?

Have you ever got 29 mph at 2600 or is the loss of speed sudden.
  4. Monepit

Monepit Member

They do have the same engines and gears. Mine is all stock other than personal gear so I would say the load is average. I am getting the speeds from 2 separate iPhones, an Ipad and a chartplotter so I'm sure it is right. I have a diver going down to determine the prop size, hopefully, and then I will know more. According to the original parts list, the boat was delivered with 30 34 props so I will see if that is what it still has.
  5. Monepit

Monepit Member

I just talked to carver. This boat is hull #1. They have test data on it. It did 28 in the test. I've rav the boat about 1000 miles since I bought it. It has always been at the speed it is now. No change.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It s a big loss... First thing I'd do is check the wheels but probably taking them off as it may be hard for a diver to find the pitch on the hubs with the props installed. And make sure the bottom and especially the wheels is clean. A few barnacles on the props will cost you dearly...

What happened at survey and sea trial when you bought the boat? Was the weight recorded when the boat was hauled out for survey?

If you are turning rated RPMs, then I would think the wheels have been changed to make up for loss of power, extra weight, etc.. Start with checking the prop pitch and size.
  7. timjet

timjet Member

Carver more than likely over-propped the boat to get the speed figures. The worst thing you can do for the engines. My Carver 355 came with 23x28 props and are now down to 23x22 in order to get loaded WOT.

My guess is you are not getting loaded WOT rpm.
  8. Monepit

Monepit Member

Well I dove beneath the boat with a flashlight and dive mask. Believe it or not I was able to read the prop stamp. 28 30. Carver said the boat was built with 2 to 1 gears and 28 30 props. 1 year in it was changer to 2.476 to 1 gears and 28 33 props and that is what it should have now. I checked and it does have the 2.476 gear but as I saint it has 28 30 props. That doesn't mean the props weren't re pitched. I will have to pull and scan the props to know for sure. All that said it looks like I should need 28 33 props but it is running at the correct WOT so if I change props that would lower the rpm below the ideal speed and the fact they want $8700 for a set of props that might not help so, I'm guessing I may just have a 20 mph voyager unless I figure something else out. I am going to have a diver clean the bottom next week and see if that makes a difference. I'll let everyone know the progress and any ideas would be appreciated.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

If you can reach WOT with smaller props it does not mean you won't if the props are the correct size.

You engines are Turing at the correct RPM , they are probably not developing the maximum amount of power they are capable of as the smaller props don't exert the same load as a larger set would.
  10. Monepit

Monepit Member

I would agree except wot with no load is 2870 so I would think that is where the governors are set at.
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The governor yes but not the rack
  12. Old Phart

Old Phart Senior Member

Change tire size on your auto and notice the change. :rolleyes:
  13. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

I suspect the boat had 2 sets of props at one time. The originals and the new pitched ones. By chance are you the third owner? Is it possible the second owner didn't know about the change and put the old props on.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

29 mph or knots. While everybody loves big numbers, how are you recording your speed? paddle wheel, P tube, GPS over the ground or Gps both way average?
    You have to load the gear correctly, Pursue the wheels questions for sure.
    But more questions arise? BBQ grill? Dink? Lots of rum stashed (my problem)? Extra anchor, chain, spares? Mother in law on board (my problem again)? Lots of little things ad up from the factory (empty boat) specs.
  15. Monepit

Monepit Member

I am the 3rd owner. When I talked to carver, they were very helpful, they told me this boat I'd hull #1. They said it could be heavier than the others because the mold was made off this hull. I thought that was the problem so I did some work. I measured gunnel to water at 4 spots. Found 4 other 450's and measured at the same spots. 1 was 2 inches higher, I was one inch higher, one was the exact same and I was 2 inches lower. So I believe weight isn't the problem. Carver also told me the speed numbers were taken from my boat, after they changed the gears and props so back to the drawing board.
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I assume the 2 inches lower was in the stern. What extra is back there?
  17. sam356

sam356 Member

What engines do you have. If it is the cummins 480 hp you should cruise at 2250 rpm 25 mph.
  18. sam356

sam356 Member

Your top speed should be 32.7 mph at 2650 rpms. Sounds to me your props are wrong.
  19. Monepit

Monepit Member

Actually the 2 inches was across the board front to back. Of all 4 I measured , weather it was higher or lower than mine, it was pretty well the same front and back.
  20. sam356

sam356 Member

The weight of your boat is less than the new ones. The difference is your boat has less hp which is why you do not have the speed you are looking for.