Click for Nordhavn Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service

1997 Carver 310 Santego - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by JFraser419, Mar 10, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. JFraser419

JFraser419 New Member

Hi Everyone,

Over the past year, I've been looking into boats in the 30-40ft range to keep on Lake Michigan in Chicago. I have a family of three (wife and daughter), and our plan is to utilize the boat as a weekend city condo since we now live in the suburbs. I've done quite a bit of research and have been out to look at Carvers, Silvertons, Mainships, and Sea Ray's. I am leaning towards the Carver, as I enjoy the "living area" that the wide beam allows for.

Recently, I started looking at a 1997 Carver 310 Santego with twin Merc V-8's. Low hours on this boat and is in very good condition. I've read about all I can about this boat, and i've been aboard both the 310 and the 380 Santego's. I believe the 310 is a great start onto Lake Michigan, but i'm curious to hear if the folks on this forum have any feedback on this model?

Some of the thoughts i'd be interested in hearing about...

• Is the Santego 310 a comfortable ride in 3-4ft waves of Lake Michigan, OR do you really need to stay in with waves over 3 ft?
    • Is the 310 comfortable for a family of 3? It seems sufficient space, but I sense it could feel a bit cramped if it's over a long weekend.
    • Any unexpected maintenance with the I/O Mercs?
    • Overall feedback on the Carver 310 Santego?
    Lots of valuable info on this site. Appreciate all of the info i've been able to read thus far. Thanks
  2. MikeK

MikeK New Member

Welcome!

The 310 is a nice boat for what you're looking to do, but it will not be comfortable in typical 3-4s in Lake Michigan unless they are unusually wide spaced rollers. No planing hull boat in that size and price range really will though. It should be safe in those waves, but will knock your fillings out at cruising speed and pitch and roll at hull speed. again, that isn't because it isn't a well-designed boat, just because that's the way it goes on Lake Michigan. Roomwise it will get cramped over the course of the weekend, but carvers are typically thoughtfully laid out and generally "live" like much larger boats. The 310 is roomier than most boats in its class. The Merc drives are fine and inexpensive to replace should that ever need to happen. I would prefer inboards on this boat, but just as many people prefer sterndrives. The Santego should be pretty quick for a cruising boat this size, cruising comfortably in the high twenties and topping out in the low 30s (mph).
  3. JFraser419

JFraser419 New Member

Mike, appreciate the feedback. It sounds like the 310 is as I suspected, a nice entry point into boating on the lake. I realize there are some concessions to be made in a boat of this size, but overall the 310 should help us accomplish much of what we're looking for. I agree with the comment on the inboards, but I've also heard good things about the Merc's and the longevity and hp that they will provide. So, in the end, it's all a bit of a give and take in this range. I was pleasantly surprised at how "roomy" the interior felt while onboard as compared to 38-40ft boats that i've been on. Obviously, there isn't as much space, but the wide beam does accommodate a fairly comfortable space for a "weekender" type situation.