Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Furuno Click for Westport

1995 Ocean Yacht 48' SS leaking rails-gunwales?

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by Hooked, May 8, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Hooked

Hooked New Member

Seeking advice from those with experience with the 48 Ocean SS having leaks when it rains at the gunwales. I already re-bedded the bow rail stanchions with 4200 and this did not fix my leaks. I am about to start removing gunwale strip guarding. Am I headed in the right direction?
  2. Lunderic

Lunderic Member

Not an Ocean but I was chasing down a leak for a while on a Viking. I re-bedded everything I could find that went through the deck. Didn't work and then I suspected the windows but one day I was washing the helm area on the bridge and my wife tells my there is water leaking into the master SR and the Salon. It turned out the somebody drilled holes to run wires up instead of just running them up the conduit. I got in there and sealed everything up and never had another drop. Just a thought as you look for the leak.
    Hooked likes this.
  3. Hooked

Hooked New Member

Funny you say that. First year I've owned this boat. I did notice an unusual place for someone to drill a hole up on the bridge where people sit in front of the helm. It has a full enclosure but will check it more closely. Thanks
  4. Hooked

Hooked New Member

I have a funny suspicion that it is where the hulls are connected
  5. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Don't know Ocean...

But the deck-to-hull joint could be the culprit. In some boats, that might just mean re-caulking the rub-rail (which is over the joint); in others, it'd be more appropriate to remove the rub-rail, reseal the joint, then re-install the rail. We did the latter, in our previous boat, not actually too horrible...

-Chris
    Hooked likes this.
  6. 45SS

45SS Member

Oceans are notorious for having window leaks. Mine is a 97 so similar to your 95. I had leaks where water appeared down below in one of the staterooms. It was cured by digging out the old caulk from the salon side windows and recaulking. I think the hole your referring to on the bridge floor is a drain.
    Hooked likes this.