Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning

1994 440 ACMY Water System

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Oddysea, Jul 8, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Oddysea

Oddysea New Member

Hi Everyone. This is my first post, so please bear with me.

I recently bought a 1994 Carver 440 ACMY, and I am having an issue figuring out the water system, specifically the water tank(s) itself. The tank is supposed to hold 140 gallons (I believe). My issue is, the water had ran out but the meter was still reading exactly half full. I have all the manuals for the boat, and it says nothing about having two tanks. The diagram shows one center line tank, right around where the door is to the forward stateroom. Now, I know there is no way I could have gone through 140 gallons as quickly as this tank appeared empty, and I find it odd that it happened exactly where the meter showed half full. The meter is an electronic meter, which also displays the forward and aft holding tanks if you shuffle through the settings. I guess my question is, are there two tanks on this boat, and the diagram is wrong? Is the meter not accurate for the water, even though it is accurate for the holding tanks? Is there a switch somewhere to get to the other half of the water? Is the tank separated somehow, and half of the water goes to the galley sink, and the other half goes to the heads? The boat manuals don't really explain any of these things, so and help here from someone more experienced with these systems would be much appreciated. Thanks in advanced. Oh, and just an FYI, the head is NOT a vacuflush system that takes fresh water from the water tanks, which just adds more to my confusion. Thanks again.
  2. g36

g36 Member

i would bet you only have one tank, yes it can read wrong on one tank and correct on others. eacjh tank will have its own sensor/sending unit. if the meter reads other tanks and the guage is reading those correctly then the only thing common would be the wire and sensor/sending unit on that one water tank. check connections etc. to that tank. what is the manufacturer of the guage? theres a way to check the sending unit/sensor, . the manual or a call to company would verify their test. it also could be out of calibration if its an electronic guage, i installed a electronic guage on my carver 405 and to calibrate it had to fill the tank with a jumper installed then completly empty the tank to set the correct range,no big deal to do but it wouldnt read correctly till this was done. could be something like that but knowing more about the brand of guage would help
  3. Monepit

Monepit Member

I had the same problem on my 450. I replaced the sending unit in the tank and it is fine. Until I did I would go to the tank in in the dark. Mine is in the engine room, and put a flashlight on top of it and you could see where the water legal was.
  4. Oddysea

Oddysea New Member

Thank you for the suggestions that you two have given me. I will check the sensors and see if that is the issue. Would either of you guys happen to know where they might be? I am new to this boat, so I am not quite sure where everything is located yet.
  5. g36

g36 Member

gain access to you water tank these will be there could see a few different ways here but a couple ways you might see are.
    sensors or sending unit look at the tank and if electronic you might see 2 strips of copper tape on the side and a small box somewhere close with wires going to it, check that the tape is adhered well to the side and no wires are hanging loose open the little box if you can and verify no wires are loose etc.
    or you may see a screw in (about 3" or so ) wide port on top of the tank that will have wires going to it. same thing look for any wires that are loose etc. if you can unscrew the piece and take it out look for a float which may stuck or depending on brand may not even be there.could be internal or use a different way to measure fluid and not knowing what you have is hard to guess my thought you likely will not see anything visually wrong with anything although i hope you do to get it fixed easily

please try and find out what brand of guage/setup you have? it will make helping out easier.
    you could also rearrange the inputs or swap them on the guage to temporarily have it read another tank and verify the guage is operating properly in this tank (water) postion
  6. Monepit

Monepit Member

Call Brett at carver 9208227227. Give him your hull number and he can help you with anything. He is the reason I have stuck with carvers all these years.
  7. Oddysea

Oddysea New Member

Thank you g36 for the suggestions. I plan on going down to the boat within the next couple of days, so I will take a look to see what exactly the brand of the gauge I have. I know it is an electronic read out. It has 3 settings on it. The water level, the forward holding tank level, and the aft holding tank level. I will grab a picture of it next time I go down. Thanks again.
  8. Oddysea

Oddysea New Member

Thank you for the reference. When asking for Brett, what division does he work in? Manager? Mechanic? Design? Where is he out of (City/State)?
  9. Maybe Knot

Maybe Knot Member

Parts Mgr
    Pulaski Wisconsin
  10. seldomdry

seldomdry Member

My 95 355 Has a tube sensor from Centroid. You can find them on line. There will be a terminal head with 3 wires. Test the unit by jumping the wires on the top of your tank. If it responds with a jump it is dead. There is no float, It is electronic. Remove and measure the length. I ordered and had a new one and had it in 4-5 days. They are GR8 to work with.

CENTROID PRODUCTS 386-423-3574