Click for Delta Click for Furuno Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay Click for Westport

1990 Tiara 3600 convertible information

Discussion in 'Tiara Yacht' started by Sdlineman, Aug 19, 2022.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Sdlineman

Sdlineman New Member

I’m considering purchasing a 3600 convertible with 375 hp Cat 3208s, and wanted to hear everyone’s opinion of it, performance, and fuel consumption/range at trolling speed and cruising speeds. I guess Tiara changed from a 14 degree vee to 18 at some point, and was curious if anybody knew when. Thanks!
  2. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Tiara would probably tell you that.

-Chris
  3. Prospective

Prospective Senior Member

I owned a 1990 Open with that same power. Great boat. I do think the hull is pre-change of deadrise but can't recall. I will say the boat ran great and cruised very comfortably at about 21knts. Burned around 28gph combined at that speed. I didn't fish it so cant say about trolling. I do know it could be a bit rolley if we were drifting on a beam sea. But I ran it in plenty of snotty conditions and was very pleased. The experience in the convertible may be slightly different due to the higher helm position and center of gravity. Quality was pretty good but we're talking about a pretty old boat at this point so owner maintenance will be key. Known weak points for the open were wet coring in the cockpit and helm areas. In fact, I'm guessing every Tiara of this vintage is wet around penetrations. But it was a very sold glass lay-up so never felt weak. But be prepared for your surveyor to tell you about all of the wet spots. Those CATs are old school but considered very reliable at the HP level. I never had any major problems with them in 5 years of use. A bit smokey but always ran. All in all it was a great boat but buying one now will have everything to do with prior owner maintenance and updates as well as how wet the boat is.
    Sdlineman likes this.
  4. motoryachtlover

motoryachtlover Senior Member

Prospective gave a good summary. I owned a 1989 31 Tiara years ago and I loved that boat. Wet core in places will be a potential issue and the engine room will be cramped. If the generator is in the lazarette take a close look as they didn’t age well in that location. I think Tiara modified their hulls in 1992. Atleast that is when they changed the hull on the 31s. Mine was not a great head sea boat but with tabs down they did fine (tabs down made it throw more water). To me it was a very good overall sea boat with no major strengths or weaknesses in different sea states. As Prospective said a lot will depend on its ownership history.
    Sdlineman likes this.
  5. Sdlineman

Sdlineman New Member

Thank you guys, I appreciate the replies.