Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko

1990 38 santego fuel problem

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by dallas66, Dec 25, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. dallas66

dallas66 New Member

I have a problem with fuel supply, looking for a schematic of the fuel system, tank location, access, etc.
    After running motor and stopping for a while the fuel drains from the fuel pump, motor will start and run a little on the fuel left in the carb than stall, have to crank the motor for a long time to get the fuel back up to the carb. replaced fuel pump, filter and rebuilt carb, might be a vapor lock, I insulated the supply line but didnt help. Does generator draw fuel from the starboard motor? fuel line?
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Remove the wasp mud from the tank vents.
  3. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

Sounds like ethanol has done its work .. Find the fuel pickup from the fuel tank .. There should be a couple of one way valves at that location and they may be clogged ... Mine had a jelly like substance clogging the one way valves ... I removed the substance .. And it happened again the following week but never again .. Run stabilizer with EVERY fill up.
  4. dallas66

dallas66 New Member

well I replaced the anti syphon valve, checked all the fittings from the fuel pump to the carb, checked the fuel filter and connections, the motor started great ran at idle and thru full throttle range , late idle for about 30 minutes and than it lost fuel and stalled,

sounds to me like I have a bad fule pump but would it work sometimes and than not work than work again?
  5. talexander38

talexander38 Member

I'd look at the air vent to make sure you're vent isn't clogged up first. How full are your tanks ?
  6. dallas66

dallas66 New Member

carver fuelproblem

vent screen is clear, both motors feed off same tank
  7. talexander38

talexander38 Member

can switch the feeds. port to stbd , stbd to port to see if it still happens to the other engine ?
  8. dallas66

dallas66 New Member

reeplaced the fuel pump and made sure all connections were tight, problem is fixed
    must have gotten a bad pump
  9. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

If the problem comes back in the next few trips, you will know the problem was ethanol and like me, you will never again fuel the boat without adding the stabilizer fluid.