Click for Mulder Click for Walker Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Perko

1987 Ocean Yachts 63SS Hull Construction

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by Migajaba, Nov 9, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Migajaba

Migajaba New Member

I recently purchased a 1987 Ocean Yachts 63SS. I hauled her out to do some minor hull work and to tighten the rudder boxes that were leaking (items noticed during pre-purchase survey). Once on blocks we noticed the keel had crushed in a couple sections toward the aft part of the keel. We drilled a couple holes and water drained for roughly 14 hours. There was no water in my bilges or visible anywhere else inside. The water draining stunk pretty bad. Which tells me it’s been in there for quite some time.
    Now I’m having the entire hull soda blasted to do a thorough inspection of the hull. During the pre-purchase survey the hull was sounded and passed, no blisters or delamination.
    My question is, can anyone tell me how the hulls were constructed? Is it cored, solid fiberglass…if cored what material? How thick? How was the keel constructed?
    Thanks
    Michael
  2. Trinimax

Trinimax Senior Member

Hi Michael we used to own a 1989 38 ft ocean and from wat i saw the hull was solid fiberglass below the waterline, and the core above. I also experienced keel damage from improper blocking. From what I recall reading in the vessel manual, as was common in oceans of that era, the keel is non-structural and is only for directional stability. So with regards to blocking its crucial to put more blocks on the chine and not to rely heavily on the keel. I have also found the blocking instructions that was sent to me from someone at ocean back when I had the 38.

Attached Files:

Migajaba likes this.
  3. vacser

vacser New Member

4. vacser

vacser New Member

I owned a 1987 48SS. The hull is solid glass. The keel is only for keeping the boat tracking straight. It was foam filled. Many yards did not know that and put the weight of the boat firmly on the keel cracking most. You can drain it and glass over or just let it fill back with water.
    Migajaba likes this.
  5. Migajaba

Migajaba New Member

Awesome!!! Thanks Trinimax
  6. Migajaba

Migajaba New Member

Thanks Vacser
  7. Migajaba

Migajaba New Member

I find it interesting that the keel is not the strength of this boat. A first for me. Thanks for the replies guys.