Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Perko

1983 Carver 32

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by keepsthabeat, Feb 10, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. keepsthabeat

keepsthabeat New Member

My girlfriend and I are brand new to cruising and have decided to find a boat we can live aboard. We had been looking at real estate in a building downtown but after getting on some nice Cruisers last week that has all changed. We have been doing a lot of research and talked to some firms that we can get financing through. We are wanting to keep the price at or below50k so we can pay it off in a year...
    We looked at many but the carver aft cabin seems to have the room we want. I have found that Caver gets a lot of love but also gets a lot of hate. The reason for this post is I am hoping to get some opinions and advice on the 80's/90's model Carver aft cabins. One we walked through was a 32 and it had everything we wanted. some of my concerns are 1. Original engines that are gas. 2. original generator 3. fumes. The broker told us that it would need a bottom job within the next year. since we will be moving the boat to our local lake that would seem to be an opportune time to have it done. The engines fired up no problem and sounded great; That said I am not a marine mechanic so what do I know? Also I have heard that the gas powered Carvers are particularly inefficient. The broker had to work the throttles back and forth a couple times before starting the motors, is that normal? We have had a lot of days below freezing lately so I was not surprised when the generator had a little trouble turning over. It took 3 times to start it. generator did not seem to struggle or misfire. Once the engines were running I notice a slight gasoline smell even with the blower running; is that normal?

The Carver we looked at was priced at 17.9k , the broker said was a misprint and it was more like 22.5k but after calling his boss, said he would honor that price. Now after contacting our financing prospect we looked up the NADA book price at was more like 19k. Does that seem like a fair price? Are there any conditions where a 1983 Carver would be higher than book price?

Appreciate any feedback,
    Zack
  2. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

Zack, there is no "normal" when it comes to a boat.

Where did you notice the gas fumes? If it was in the engine room it could mean one or both of the engines might need a tune up or at least new plugs.

If you are smelling it outside around the exhaust it means the fuel is not being completely burned...again tune-up.

As to the price, look around at other Carvers in similar shape and year. From my perspective, Canada, I think if the boat is in good condition, $18,000 is not too much,, but always, always offer less and see how badly the owner wants to sell.

I bought a boat for less than half the asking price because the owner just wanted it off his hands.

And if you need the bottom sand/soda blasted and re-painted expect to spend around $5,000
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Welcome to YF Zack. Let me try to address the points you raised.
    As for Carver love/hate, Carver are notorious for having a lot of space and amenities, but they're not the most seaworthy boats. So it all depends what you plan to do with it. I suspect that on a lake and living aboard you won't find yourself in seas it can't handle. One thing I'd be concerned with on a Carver that age is the balsa cored decks. Walk all around and feel for any spongy areas.
    I suspect that the motors have been rebuilt a time or two. Do you know how many hours are on them? A good rule of thumb might be to figure 1500 hours on a gas motor before rebuild, and about $8,000 to 12,000 for the rebuild although it could be far less depending on how extensive.
    Bottom painting you'll do every year or two, and change the zincs every year. If you're moving it to a fresh water lake you'll want to change the zincs over to magnesiums.
    Have a marine mechanic check over the motors and in particular have him do a compression test on them. The broker moving the throttles before starting tells me that they're carburated motors. That also explains the smell of gas. Too many people pump the throttles on carburated motors. They develope a memory and soon need it. Ideally you want to pump the throttle about once at most. Better though simply advance the throttle as you're turning the key until she turns over. You may be stuck with this situation though at this point and age.
    Sure gas is less efficient and more expensive, but I suspect if you're on a lake it'll be much easier to find than diesel. So no worries there.
    Some gens start easier than other, but it may just be because he didn't hold the pre-heater on long enough.
    The price seems fair, and a good price for your first boat. You'll probably find this boat to be a good learning experience without laying out a ton of cash.
    I generally strongly recommend having a boat surveyed before purchase, but in this case and at this price I be more inclined to recommend that you have a marine mechanic check the motors & gen, sea trial (and check the bilge for water intrusion and leaks as you do), and turn on all equipment to see that it's in working order.
    Understand going in that this is not a good financial move. Buying a house would be far better. But it will be a great adventure for you and your GF. Enjoy and good luck.
    P.S. Believe nothing the broker tells you. Check everything for yourself.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Two people living on a 32 Carver? Full time or weekends?

If it was an older gas engine with carburetors, pumping the throttles may be necessary to start a cold engine. EFI not.

On a boat probably older than you, I would say it has carbs and required some pumping.
  5. keepsthabeat

keepsthabeat New Member

Thanks for the responses. When I walked the boat we started up the gen. ran it turn on all the AC/heat systems, lights, nav stuff, radios. Everything seem to be in working order. The gas smell was only noticed in the main cabin, which i later learned was right above the engine compartment. Again, the shop has had the boat on sale since July, So I imagine the boat is only being run a couple times a month and it has been extremely cold here for the last couple month(i say extremely cold but I mean for Texas, it has been below freezing for a long time). I look scrupulously at the cockpit and breaker, All much cleaner than I had anticipated. Yes, we are intending to live on it! We combed through tons of boats to find this, it was the only one that had everything on our list of "must's".

My GF and I are both HAM radio operators so we will installing a lot radio gear onboard. IS the electrical system in Carvers robust enough to support a lite duty cycle of 100watt transmitters?
  6. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You didn't mention the battery charger. Check that also. I DK much about ham radio systems, but a friend had one on his 26' Sea Ray, so I assume you're ok. Check the amperage draw. You should have twin 30 amp shore power. One side will be for your air conditioning and the other side for everything else. Managing load is always a concern as you add things not designed for boats. Another thing to consider is that those radios are not marinized and the marine environment is corrosive(damp). Keep them in a dry location.

One other thing to give serious consideration to is the appliances and closet space. You probably won't find better on a boat that size, but the boat is considered more of a weekender than a live-aboard. Have your GF take a close look at those things while considering her lifestyle. (Women think differently than us about creature comforts).
  7. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

QRA

QRV

Gad. It's been along time since I thought anything about amateur radio.

Your going to have allot of fun and adventures if you use multi x-miters. Plan on an isolated dyna-plate for every stick or di-pole.

Other than old Icom stuff, old Yeasu had pretty tight and sealed boards, coils & equipment. Newer tuners may be weather forgiving still.

Instead of a power-supply, get a nice 31 series AGM battery per rig with it's own (newer/not cheap or noisy) charger/converter. Keep the gear isolated from the ships stuff. While copying a weak signal, a bilge pump of head vent fan can QSR aggravation.

Marinas are full of metal shed and building roofs. Every snailbote around you has a grounded reflector in it's mast. Long wire di-poles between piles could be fun. Horizontal effect was a science.

Of course, if your 2 or 10 M,,, Newer hand held,,, Never Mind..

CL