Click for MotorCheck Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Burger

1981 Broward Low Voltage

Discussion in 'Broward Yacht' started by Henry Sandow, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Henry Sandow

Henry Sandow New Member

Hello. I am the proud new second owner of a 1981 Broward. Unfortunately, when using dock electricity, any source, I have a low voltage problem, around 97 volts. It's shore power only. I have 115 volts on the end of each cable coming in to the boat. I have "LaMarche" Model A42200 transformer. Any ideas?
  2. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

A google and search of LaMarche web site does not turn up anything for a Model A42200 transformer. No product by that name. If you get the correct model number, then maybe you could get the tap schematic to see if the transformer is bucking or boosting ( raising or lowering ) incoming voltage.

Might be a tap drawing on the transformer too.

Where are you testing the voltage ?
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Where are you testing (assuming at the panel) and more importantly is that before applying any significant loads

Have you actually checked voltage at the dock pedestal?

Problem is definitely between the shore power inlet and your panel incl wiring and transformer. Start with a visual inspection of all connections and wiring and take measurements long the way starting with behind th shore power inlet and fuse/breaker at the point of entry
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I believe La March transformers have a switch/knob on the side of them to either lower or boost voltage. Your lower voltage could be a poor connection on the ground side and not the line side. Could also be your shorepower cable(s) if they're old.....carry 120 volts with no load, with a load the old wiring can only carry 97V.

Also are you reading the voltage from a 1981 voltage meter on the panel, or a reliable multimeter where you're testing voltage from an outlet or where the power comes into the breaker panel?