Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Abeking

1979 carver camper top

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by waterlover79, Mar 5, 2010.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. waterlover79

waterlover79 New Member

hey everyone! let me start out by saying that this site is awesome! ok so i have this 1979 carver montego that i am restoring and im almost done so very close! but im trying to find the camper top. you know to make it fully enclosed... i have a boat slip on lake superior for this year and i dont want it in the weather. can anyone help me find one! any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks everyone! :)
  2. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Call a marine canvas guy near you (often the same people as your nearest sail loft) and have one made. These things only last a few years so for a boat that vintage, I doubt you'll find one around that somebody isn't using, and I seriously doubt anyone is "manufacturing" them. You might find the hoop frames somewhere, that would be a pretty oblique find, but if they were the right basic configuration but for a different size boat, you could probably modify them and save yourself a few bucks on having them made, probably not much though. When you have them made, use the higher quality, preferably 316, Stainless tube and fittings rather than aluminium tubes and chromed pot metal fittings and save yourself a bunch of headaches in the future.
  3. waterlover79

waterlover79 New Member

yeah thats what i was kind of thinking i actually do have the original hoops. they are in perfect condition. i was just hoping i could find some that someone had. like they sold the boat without it or something of that nature! but i am going to try find someone to do that for me. thanks for the advice!
  4. Henning

Henning Senior Member

Get Sunbrella, the heavy Eisenglass and get screens as well, screens make a huge difference in enjoyability up there. If you have the frames already, it's a no brainer. I doubt you'll find a top end one especially for a boat like that because they will be a selling point. Have a nice one made, some storage pockets even and a wire chase to a couple of lights. Treat it with exterior grade Scotchguard at the beginning and end of every season on the canvas, and use a good UV filter cleaner/polish on the "glass" frequently and you'll enjoy it for 7 years, especially if it winters indoors or at least under cover.
  5. waterlover79

waterlover79 New Member

yeah my father inlaw mentioned sunbrella! im going to look into it tomorrow being that everything is closed today. thank you for the great advice! and im not too sure if im going to store it out doors any more or not... i stored my bayliner outside this year and i had a tree come down on it! :'( im still working on getting the insurance money out of it. but anyway im going to look into it tomorrow! thanks again!!! :)