Click for JetForums Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Burger

10 Kohler Gen in 370 Carver Aft Cabin

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Kem, Nov 10, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Kem

Kem New Member

Can anyone tell me if there is a simple way to get a 10 kw Kohler Gen set out of a 370 Aft Cabin Carver? Could someone tell me if you had someone remove it how long would it take?
  2. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

In mine I was able to take the gen out with 3 people fairly easily. Its interesting you have a 10KW gen in that boat though, Gas or Diesel?

Mine came right out of the hole in the salon floor and up and out the cabin doors.
  3. Kem

Kem New Member

It is gas. The 10 KW is is killing me trying to get it out.:eek:
  4. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Generator

Start stripping the Jewellery first, then heavier stuff next...till it comes out.
  5. Fireman431

Fireman431 Senior Member

This may sound stupid, but does it have a sound shield around it and are you trying to remove it with the sound shield in place?
  6. Kem

Kem New Member

No got it out of the hole now trying to get it out of the saloon:
  7. sam356

sam356 Member

I would build something so the generator will sit on . Fasten to a 3/4 in pylwood. Have strong handle on all 4 corners and walk it up the stairs.Make sure everything can get threw the door.Looks like it weighs 447 LBS thats 223 lbs with 2 guys , I would have 4 guys there .
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I don't mean to be mean here, but,,,
    Are you doing this on your own or, are you at a yard? A service yard? A yard that has done this before?
    If your putting your own time and back into this, Tear that sucker down to pieces. Little pieces.
    Next bunch of silly questions, Who is putting the next unit in? Yard? Full service yard?
    To honor warranties, You (yourself, personal) can not tear much down.

There could be a big point here, service yards get paid to use the proper equipment, remove and install equipment with out (imagine that) damaging your boat. Install equipment within warranty guidelines.
    What may sound like a cheap plan, may just be that. A proper plan may cost more up front but protect your investment better.
  9. Kem

Kem New Member

No such thing as stupid questions. Will end up having Marina finish taking it out I think and you are right if I take it out had rebuild no warrenty if someone else does it there will be warrenty. :confused:
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Next thought
    Your rebuilding a gas gen-set? Do you run your gen-set often?
    Consider this;
    A properly maintained diesel gen-set will out last a gas model.
    A newer model diesel Gen-set may weigh less and take up less room.
    A diesel gen-set is safer in several ways.
    Dual fuel system is not unheard of.

More thoughts
    Do you need a gen-set?
    Batteries and inverters are getting better every day.
  11. Kem

Kem New Member

Yes i do use my gen-set frequently, I did look at diesels the draw back was where do I put the tank not much room in the 370 Carver that is why I did not go any farther on that idea. Another situation with boating on an inland lake in Ok, i have to use the marina to work on the boat or I do it myself. Have not had much luck with the marina setting a price and sticking to it. Out of the 3 items I had repaired by them, they only stuck to the price on one, the other two were 2 to 3 time the price given. Love to boat thinking about going back to 33 Sunsation I can pull it out of the water and work on my self. Just venting a little
  12. sam356

sam356 Member

I did mine last year I took out my genny Replace the wood that supported the genny with starboard. Took my genny to a repair shop that can repair it. His charge was not bad at all put the jenny back it was done in no time at a price tag of about $600. What is wrong with yours, generators last a long time.
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

It's diesel. Pick up a carry tank, pre-made or make your own. You can stow diesel below decks. 10 kw diesel is going to burn 1/4 gal / hr.

Off road diesel is cheap and your burn is a fraction of what your burning now.

On a couple of my other post, I'm a big , BIG fan of safety and CO. If your into gen-sets and like to go vertical in the morning, you may want to look again at a diesel gen-set.

Keep us all updated on your final and send pictures. We all like to see other installations, big & small.
  14. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I am not an expert, so please confirm this:

I am pretty sure, You cannot put a diesel generator in the same Engine Room as a gas engine or compartment as a gas fuel tank.....

believe it or not, most diesel generators are not ignition protected....because they dont have to be.

On a diesel generator, the starter and alternator will not have the "screens" that are in gas engines protecting them from ignition of explosive gasoline vapors.

If your engine room is under the salon and your generator is under your cockpit you may be ok as long as you dont have gasoline tanks in the same compartment.

I guess you could make a box or sound shield around a diesel generator that would comply w ABYC standards....

I would recommend getting a surveyor and your insurance company to approve if you put a diesel generator in a gas boat.
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

It would be scary for any sparking device to be in any closed area. Gas or diesel driven. Most come covered but if not, easy to fix.
    Consulting a surveyor is a great idea. He would have access to ABYC and other building guides.
    I would be very interested on what ABC says about introducing a diesel appliance into a gas environment. I don't think much if anything new over any other installation. Probably painting and labeling the support lines and hoses different.

Think safe and go like Kirk.
  16. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Generator

10 KW will burn more than a 1/4 gall per hr when loaded,,try .75..

Also, mixing two different fuel engines in the same boat is not really a good idea, one moment of forgetfulness and bingo, up she could go...gas is gas and diesel is diesel, never the two should meet...
  17. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

All electrical components in a compartment with a gasoline engine or fuel tank must be ignition protected. Also, the ventilation requirements for compartments containing gasoline engines or tanks must be met.

There is no law against mixing gas and diesel powered equipment on a boat, but the gasoline standards must be met unless the the diesel bits are located in separate compartments from the gasoline bits.
  18. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

With gas engines I doubt the fuel savings on a diesel gen would be worth the expense and trouble. You also have to keep track of the separate diesel fuel suppply level. There's also the matter of pumping 2 types of fuel while at the fuel dock. People will love you gloming 2 fuel pumps on a Saturday morning. Again there is nothing insurmountable, but is it worth it? Personally I'd stick with gas running off the same tanks. Easier to pump, easier to keep track of and you're already set up for it.
  19. captnrontx

captnrontx New Member

10KW sounds like overkill. I have a 7.2 KW and it is plenty for my 370.