Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Cross Click for Furuno Click for MotorCheck

Yachts in St. Barths (2012 and beyond)

Discussion in 'Boat Shows & Yacht Watching' started by Yacht News, Dec 31, 2012.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Did anyone notice how may yachts are off St. Barth's west coast at the moment? Wow! Anyone on here anywhere in that vacinity that could take photos? I know that the yachts congregate there every year after Christmas to spend it for old years/new years celebrations but it is just refreshing to see the large crowd.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

having lived there from 82 to 93 i'd love to see pictures. i left when big boats started coming for new year eve, and back then big boat meant 100 footer! Endeavour was among the biggest regular...
  3. Yacht News

Nostalgia Pascal!!! Reminisce there my friend!
  4. Felipe

Felipe Senior Member

St Bart's in the new year has the largest congregation of megayachts anywhere in the world. Forget Monaco (not even at the MYS), forget Antibes, forget Porto Cervo, nowhere else can you find what must be a third of the largest yachts in the world. If you check MT, you can get an idea, although many more there don't show.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I haven't be back since i sold my house back in 94 and I don't really want to go back, afraid to be disappointed.
  6. Yacht News

You have a point Felipe!
  7. Yaku

Yaku New Member

Here are some shots from a few days ago. Credits go to Rosita Magras.
    The panorama is much bigger, but it appears that this website has automatically resized it.

Attached Files:

8. Yacht News

Nice pics especially the first and the last pano!
  9. emtychev

emtychev New Member

Nice pictures, this must be the place to be when there is winter here.
  10. ombreetsoleil

ombreetsoleil Senior Member

I understand that St barth is pretty, but with so many yachts around I would think that place is so overcrowded.............What's the fun in that?.........Dont get me wrong I love yachts.

But why all at that location? Do all these Charter guests or owners know each other and go for a drink on each others yachts?
    Usually big swells there too.

Or is it see and be seen?

There are so many pretty and remote locations in the Caribbean...........The water isn't more clear at St barths............or is it?

Compare it to St lucia There are hardly any big yachts around, but the scenery is breathtaking.

Seems like somebody in St tropez in a nightclub with the microphone says " let's all go to St Barths" ...................and everybody follows without even checking out any of the other islands.............Such a same..........
    But for yachtspotting enthousiasts it's heaven.:rolleyes:
  11. ombreetsoleil

ombreetsoleil Senior Member

12. Yacht News

Well the island has become almost the traditional gathering spot for luxury yachts around Christmas and especially Old years/NewYears. It is like a little St. Tropez of the Caribbean. It is the place to see and BE seen, yacht wise and person wise. and with other top yachting destinations just a few miles away SXM (St. Maarten), ANU (Antigua), St. Thomas U.S.V.I, etc St. Barths is all the more appealing.

I do agree that there are alot of other territories that are beautiful that do not get as many yachts. To me if all of these yachts can congregate off St. Barths for weeks on end some times they cannot complain that anchoring or tethering off say Port St. Charles or Port Ferdinand will be a problem.

St. Lucia doesn't get that many large yachts but a few have been there this season including "Serene", "Plan B" (73-meter ADMK), "Solemates" etc..."ACE" and "Garcon" passed there but didn't stop.
  13. Yacht News

This thread has not been updated for a while! Here is a moving visual of some of the yachts gathered at St. Barths for New Years Day 2016.