Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Ocean Alexander Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko

Yacht Turmoil

Discussion in 'Palmer Johnson Yacht' started by bnk190, Aug 30, 2006.

1. bnk190

bnk190 Member

I was at another boating site and there was a picture of the yacht Turmoil with information that she is heading to Chicago. Does anyone have any information on her? Do we know when she will be in Chicago? Anyone know if she will be stopping in Milwaukee along the way?
  2. bnk190

bnk190 Member

Sorry I forgot to include the picture.

Attached Files:

3. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I wonder just how far they went with those Fenders hanging out the side like that.

I don't know where it is stopping but have recently heard that it's big cruising plans have been put on hold owing to the Owners ill health.
  4. bnk190

bnk190 Member

I'm not sure. Here is what is listed about the picture...

Cayman Islands registered yacht "Turmoil" up bound in the St Lawrence Seaway at Kahnawake Mohawk Territorial Lands bound for Chicago, Monday. Her anchor pockets are stainless steel lined, as is the lower bow stem showing reflections on the blue hull.

I did a web search and a few hits come up that Turmoil was made by Palmer Johnson. Is that correct? What are the benefits of a yacht this style. I'm familar with this style from the Coast Guard buoy tenders. What do they use the front deck for? Do you lose cabin space compared to a traditional style yacht?
  5. MBACH

MBACH Senior Member

This expeditionary style yacht is very spacious with a dedicated owners deck. Area forward is tender storage as well as vessel equipment similar to how your Coast Guard buoy tender would stow equipment. Turmoil is actively on the market and as a single owner vessel kept in excellent shape, she would make for a great yacht for someone who wishes to go around the world.
  6. V65

V65 Senior Member

New name for the 1996 PJ Turmoil is Putty VI:)
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

The boat in the picture was built in Denmark at Royal Denship I think it was.
  8. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

9. bnk190

bnk190 Member

I'm a little confused. Does anyone know who the owner is? The other website is stating that the owner's main house is in Waukesha WI but the yacht is kept in Chicago. I thought I read above someone stated that it's on the market due to the owners poor health.
  10. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Off Limits

bnk190
    Welcome to YachtForums. Since you are new here, you may not have yet realized that nobody here is in the business of giving up too much personal information about the owners, or crew for that matter, of the yachts.
    Many of us know who each of the owners are and many of them are even members, but to divulge that type of information would be crossing a line that would compromise their privacy.
    You will find a high caliber membership here who has lots of infomation to offer about anything yachting, but some questions and information are off limits.
    Enjoy the site and happy yacht spotting.
    Ken
  11. bnk190

bnk190 Member

I do apologize. That wasn't my intent and I guess it doesn't matter who owns it. It's not like they are going to invite me to the yacht. I guess I was more after trying and hoping it would stop in Milwaukee. I know whoever owns Blue Moon is up in Milwaukee on a regular basis and it's just nice to see the yachts here. I totally respect their privacy and didn't mean to cross any lines.
  12. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

No offense taken.
    FYI- I just got off the phone with my father and Blue Moon must be making their southern migration because they are currently down bound on the St. Clair River south of Lake Huron.
  13. WannabeeYhtsman

WannabeeYhtsman New Member

14. bnk190

bnk190 Member

Talk about timing. This morning took the boat out and what comes pulling into the Port of Milwaukee? If you guessed Turmoil you are correct. Very sharp yacht and even comes with a helicopter on the back. First time I have seen a yacht in person with the helicopter on the back. It appeared that there were two tenders undercover on the main front deck.

It also appears there is some remodeling taking place. On the aft deck there was an enclosure and you could hear saws and such from there. Thanks to all that posted.
  15. Dinsdale

Dinsdale New Member

Went for a run along the lakefront over lunch today, and spotted this beauty tied up along the S end of Burnham Harbor - right across from McCormick Place.
    Striking boat.
  16. munzamail

munzamail New Member

In Chicago1

She is pulling out of Monroe Harbor as I type. Signed up just so I could let you all know.
  17. munzamail

munzamail New Member

She is still in Burnham Harbor as of this morning... Went away for a day or so then came back and has been quite the talking point since (I have a view of the harbor from my condo).
  18. Dinsdale

Dinsdale New Member

Saw in the obits, this yacht's owner (a local boy) just passed away.
  19. ayachtguy

ayachtguy Senior Member

More About Turmoil's Owner

I understand (and appreciate!) the forum rules about non-disclosure of an owner. In the case of Turmoil (and as a journalist who just wrote about her), this may be an exception because the owner and Turmoil have just been written about in everything from the Wall St. Journal and NY Times to all the boating mags (which will come out with the story next month). I will, of course, bow to the sys-ops judgment on this. But I think this is of interest to Yacht Forum readers. In this case, Turmoil is/was owned by Gary Comer, who just passed away. Gary was not only a great guy and a championship Star sailor, but the founder of the vast Land's End mail-order program. He started it as a way to sell marine hardware and, in the process, gave the Harken brothers a start with their fledgling roller-bearing block business. A smart guy, he cashed out of Lands End which gave him the wherewithal to buy Turmoil. Better than that, however, he became a great philanthropist who used his money with wisdom and generosity to help people. Good sailing, Gary--you made the world a better place.
  20. nantasker

nantasker New Member

turmoil

I was the chief engineer and the 2nd mate for the Turmoil for the last few months in shipyard to when she first left Palmer Johnson's back in 96 and did delivery to Maine until the owner took possession. Had only 5 crew members back then. It was a big boat for only 5 crew. The Captain hired 2 Turkish Stewards/Deckhands that had never been on a ship before and spoke very little English. Head chef got up at 5 am and did bridge watch from 8-midnight. I understand that changed not too soon after I departed but not sure if it did. Only know that the Captain was not there too much longer either. I would have agreed to stay on had the Captain come to his senses that this vessel could not be managed the same as the Turmoil 1, which was a sail boat. I worked 12-4 bridge watch as second mate and had my chief engineer responsibilities the rest of the time. The deckhands/stewards split shifted bridge watch and also cleaned cabins, were assistant chefs and served meals.

The ship was beautiful inside. I remember taking her through the locks on her delivery out to International waters off the coast of Maine for the owner to pass papers with Palmer Johnson's; the pilots were very impressed with the bridge. The bridge layout won awards that year. She had marble bathroom tile and antique rugs. The cabinetry from Palmer's was unbelievable. I plug in my laptop in my cabin and start up and sync the night and day generator before going to bed. Also could do this from the bridge. For that time, it was far advanced. We had a design flaw that was discovered during the sea trials in which the engine exhaust pipe was under water when the stern lowered at higher speeds. Exhaust built up in the engine room and I ended up with carbon monoxide poisioning. Anyway, the owner made sure I was flown to the best neurologist in Chicago the next day. He was a class act.