Click for Northern Lights Click for Walker Click for Delta Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander

Yacht Crew Insurance, Disability, Retirement and more

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by olderboater, May 3, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Back in the day when I worked full time on several under 100' yachts things were different (prior to 2004). Most of these boats were owned by the owners normal business and were the businesses corporate boat for entertaining. We used to get paid by the owners normal business and all benefits all of the other employees got, we got. Healthcare, 401k, etc. This no longer is the case, I think due to IRS scrutiny and laws. Now the sub 100' boats are owned by their own corporation or entity and benefits are at the whim of the owner.

The other big deal, is healthcare USED to be affordable even if you simply bought it on your own.....$100-200 a month for an individual, with a good deductible ($500-2000) and good coverage. So even if the boat didn't offer it, you made enough money and it was cheap enough to just pay for it. The affordable care act REALLY made health insurance UN-affordable. Now policies have a huge deductible $5000-10000 and it's now $400-700 for crappy coverage with that huge deductible, and an individual. Family plans are even more ridiculous. And, yes a lot of that premium goes to cover people with huge existing issues, and no coverage at all who uses the ER like a free doctors office. The lawsuits are another issue. The affordable care act, didn't fix any existing issues with the health care marketplace, it created huge new ones and it's really a mess. Even group healthcare for companies, the premiums have doubled or even tripled and so has the size of the deductible. It's a mess all of the way around.
  2. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Excellent topic and a great thread.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Plus the number of doctors and hospital in the "network" is ridiculously small. Doctors I don't care, I can pay for the visit but I think may plan only has 3 hospital I can go to in Miami...
  4. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

So, as an outsider looking in, this new Health Care Act only pushes the US back to the 1930's not the full 1800's the GOP wanted?

Get a grip America, universal health care, yes even poor people get sick sometimes but millions still pay into the system, that's how insurance works.

Is this too difficult to understand?

Discuss-ed
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Universal government backed healthcare is even more expensive and costly, filled with fraud and abuse. Again, look at how much people pay into the system

Our system here was working ok before Obamacare was passed 7 years ago. Premiums and deductibles were reasonable, and you had access to most hospitals and doctors.

The problem back then was rising costs which could have been addressed by limiting liability exposure, increasing competition and other cost cutting measures

Instead, the government added a huge layer of bureaucracy and record keeping among other things by mandating that all records be computerized. You can't even see a doctor without showing photo ID...

And of course, the party In power who passed the ACA back in 09 had received tens of millions of dollars of contributions from lawyers and their lobbyists. So no hope of tort reform.
  6. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

I think you are mis-informed. The problem is not nearly enough people are paying into the system. It is called a "free ride" for too many folks and overwhelms the system.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The quality of care with universal healthcare is generally poor compared to our quality of health care. Huge wait times are a big issue, along with a lot of necessary operations being not approved. It's also more costly because nothing a government does is ever done with any efficiency. Look at our VA healthcare system, the fraud and abuse and wait times some of our Veterans are enduring is criminal at best. Our system needed some tweaks in regards to frivoulous lawsuits and free health care for illegal immigrants that everyone else had to eat the costs of. What we got was a huge disaster that never addressed the origional issues and carried another myriad of expenses.
  8. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I apologize for ever starting this thread. I hoped to discuss an issue of yachting and find out how those in the industry were covered or protected and felt about how yacht crews in general are taken care of. Instead this has been turned into a free for all discussing healthcare bills and politics and virtually no discussion at all of the topic at hand. A lot of misinformation on other matters entirely.

I am seeing one thing clearly. Apparently, many in the industry have little if any coverage or protection, many yacht owners not providing it and independents not able to obtain on their own. However, the issues of the industry are apparently not very important to anyone here. I hoped to learn something more about the industry, but see now that's impossible. I'm officially out of this thread unless someone wants to talk about the industry itself.
  9. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Overly expensive and unattainable coverage do nothing to promote any small business in its ability to extend such benefits to employees, associations have the ability here in the PNW to act as a quasi employer for the ability to get coverage for really small groups, maybe the Yachting Industry needs to take a lead in this area ?
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Aside from the thread drifting. The problem is the sheer cost of health insurance. Back in the day, it was a breeze (price wise) for yacht owners to simply extend it to their crew, so more of them did it. Also more of the boats were owned by the owners normal corporation so their business benefits extended to the crew, now I see that's getting a bit fewer and further between on the smaller crewed yachts.
  11. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

Unfortunately, your summary is quite correct, but it may be that the responses illustrate why there is no unified or accessible health care in the yachting sector. Mistrust, misinformation, and misunderstanding. And, the healthy young having no immediate need of medical care or retirement.
    Thank you, olderboater, for trying and caring. Without efforts like yours, the wheel would still be square.
  12. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

On the West Coast, it was much like you describe in that the boat owner's business extended the salaries and benefits to "off site personnel". In those days, the majority of the sportfishers and yachts that wintered in Mexico were owned by fairly large contractors in the building industry. Besides the housing crash turning against those people, many found out the hard way that deducting boat expenses from their taxes was a short lived dream that the IRS frowned upon. I think those two things changed the picture of the yachting sector on the West Coast, in terms of salaries and benefits.
  13. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

If you do not use the boat for business then the IRS will come down hard on you- as expected. In my last full time job I was an employee of the vessel owner (which was a business); part of my employment package was a 401K, health insurance, paid time off, and a salary. Greater than 90% all of the vessel trips involved employees, vendors, suppliers or other business interests.
    My current health insurance is provided by my wife's employer- the county school district. She is a teacher (which is a common feature of boat captains- their spouses are teachers) and all I need to do in order to be successful is for her to get a second job ;)
  14. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

The IRS isn't doing as well at policing these deductions as they once were able. It used to be that if an IRS auditor was looking into your books, that his efforts paid his salary. The chances of being audited are quite slim, these days. That's a bit of luck for the employees that were treated to boat rides, since that also counts as compensation and should be reported on a 1099 form.
    But now I'm REALLY far afield of OB the OP's original thread! Sorry :(
  15. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

While some want to speak of the overall health care, the subject of health care for "yacht" (or any other crew not "commercial") crew is important and on topic for this forum.
  16. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Well, the other thing is the boat's normal insurance does have crew coverage which does cover hospital care for accidents and injuries that happen to the crew on board. So, considering that a lot of crew are under 35 years old, a lot of them didn't see health care as an important benefit. However, that changed with the Obamacare where now they're getting a hefty tax every April, if they don't have health insurance. So it now is becoming an issue again in younger crews minds.
  17. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

As a practical matter of providing benefits to crew.

The majority of boats are not US flagged and don't have US employees. While most of the larger charter boats, Marmot is correct as to the Maritime Labour Convention. However, there are a lot of seasonal employees, a lot of contract employees, and a general lack of continuity. Plus the social security provided is in the flag state which may or may not ultimately benefit the crew member. Still it's a great start toward a plan. Unfortunately, it's also poorly regulated in many cases, responsibilities that fall to the flag state. For instance, we know in yachting that it is very common for crew members to work hours beyond what it allows.

Still it has been a great step forward and has addressed on board health issues and injuries and work related disabilities well. When introduced in 2013, it was only ratified by 30 countries, but now by 80 countries. I do believe it is effective in the shipping industry. I also believe many yacht owners are finding strategies to circumvent it.

A clarification on US yachts and the IRS and businesses. The IRS doesn't say a thing about businesses owning yachts or including employees under their benefit plans. It only speaks as to whether or not those expenses are tax deductible. Our crew is employed by a subsidiary of our businesses and fully included in all the benefits provided to other employees. We do not, however, take tax deductions for any expenses related to the use of our boats.

Even if a yacht wasn't owned by a business, there is nothing preventing an owner from providing benefits. Let's take a simple 130' yacht requiring a crew of 7. The entity or individual owning the yacht can easily get group coverage for all employees. That group coverage is far less expensive than any individual policy would be. They can also get disability, form 401-K's and provide any other benefits they choose. However, they don't do that. The provide the minimum required or less. They use seasonal employees for most of the crew positions or contract crew. They choose not to treat their yacht crew comparably to how they treat their business employees and they do so for one reason, to save money. Now, there's something I find personally repulsive in the owner of a $25 million yacht saving money by not looking after their crew.

I'd love to hear from any on this site who are employed on yachts as to what benefits they have and whether they're full time employees, seasonal, or contract.

That brings us to the thousands of people in South Florida who are in the industry but not employed full time on any single boat. Perhaps they are contracted as captains when needed, perhaps they are yacht managers, perhaps they're independent delivery captains. They may have health insurance but if purchasing on an individual basis they are paying a huge amount for it. They likely don't have disability coverage or any form of a retirement plan. Some might have IRA's. Is there a solution? Actually one solution is an Association or a Membership Organization of some sort. What if there was a group of all professional crew? What kind of benefit programs could it develop or negotiate? Well, the AICPA (American Institute of CPA's), has the following which I list simply to show all the potential benefits needed by small business persons:
    • Life Insurance
    • Disability Insurance
    • Personal liability umbrella
    • Health insurance
    • Professional liability
    • Employee theft insurance
    • Employment liability
    • Commercial property and liability
    • Group life and long term disability
    • Business overhead coverage in the event of disability
    Now, other organizations have a much less extensive offering, but the point is that there are benefits to numbers. But many you'd never suspect do have policies. For instance, the Gasoline Retailers Association has coverage for repair shop employees for shops with as few as two employees.

There are many other benefits to professional organizations. One is to address issues common to all members. That can be how the industry operates or could be legislation that is particularly harmful to the industry.

Another option is incorporating your business so that you and any others are employees. Then you're eligible for small group plans. In Florida, small group plans are available for 1 to 50 employees. There are 6 PPO's and 9 HMO's currently offered. Note that self employed are only eligible for individual. These may or may not be beneficial for those here, but you can also purchase disability and even start a 401-K.

The point to all this is I see a lot of people I like left very exposed. Most here depend on their own labor for their income, labor subject to health issues, injuries, and age. I fully admit that we need improvements in the affordability of health care. Note, I didn't say insurance, it includes every aspect from pharmaceuticals to hospitals. It starts at the underlying costs and builds to what the consumer has to pay. However, there are issues specific to those of you in the industry and I don't see any signs of an industry that chooses to work together for solutions or address them collectively.
  18. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

19. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

But why should it be the employer responsibility to provide retirement funding, disability, health insurance etc

Why not have a system where the employee (or contractor) handles his or her own personal affairs? Where does it end.. should an employer (whether yacht or factory owner) be responsible for providing home insurance or car insurance so employees have a roof over their head or a car to drive to work?

I believe in free market. If an employer, again whether a yacht owner employing a crew or a factory owner, wishes to attract candidates by offer long various kinds of benefits then fine. But it is. It something that should be mandated

As a former small, no make that ... tiny, business owner (20 employees) and now an independent contractor captain, I want to make my own decisions, buy my own home/boat, car, health, disability insurance.
  20. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness......too many mollycuddlers in the world today people losing independence thought, I believe some Universities even ban such things.