Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for YF Listing Service

World's Largest Yacht: 525' Platinum (Dubai)

Discussion in 'Popular Yacht Topics' started by YachtForums, Apr 11, 2005.

1. YES!

YES! Senior Member

I have heard that the Dubai Shadow is the ex - Bart Roberts.

Seems Dubai was built with full accommodations but storage areas and refrigeration are undersized for the guest and crew compliment.
  2. Mike448

Mike448 Member

Bart Roberts As A Shadow

I had the pleasure of spending a day aboard Bart Roberts a while back and was very impressed. Although I normally spend my days cruising around on flashy white boats, I still have a passion for a good old solid “ship”. To me BR was a great crossover between yachting and shipping. It would make an awesome shadow boat with huge amounts of storage space (can carry 4 containers in the hold if I remember correctly) and has extra guest accommodations too – not that yacht the size if Dubai should need extra beds. Seems a bit bazaar that it needs a shadow boat at all!

Mike
  3. lurker

lurker New Member

Bart Roberts is quite a bit longer than 60m.

If it is true that the interior has too little storage with respect to the guest accommodation, then it really is a shame and a design flaw.

However, if the shadow is there to carry "extra" toys and tenders, provide an extra layer of security and perhaps extra food storage for the long passages (Not that I expect her to go on one, and hopefully Dubai has enough storage for at least a month worth of supplies on board) then I don't see anything wrong with that.
  4. Mike448

Mike448 Member

Dubai Shadow

If it is the old Bart Roberts:
    Length overall: 265'6"
    Beam: 42'0"
    Construction: Ice-strengthened steel hull
    Classification: Lloyds X 100 A1 LMC, SOLAS Commercial Code
    Fuel Capacity: 110,000 gal.
    Water Capacity: 18,000 gal.
    Engines: 2/2,000-hp Ruston 6RKC diesel engines

Cool boat
    Mike
  5. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Wait..this is the same Bart Roberts that was converted from a Canadian Coast Guard Vessel or something like that?
  6. lurker

lurker New Member

The "old Bart Roberts" that Mike mentioned in his last post was converted from a Canadain Coast Guard Vessel. I love expedition yachts myself especially the aft house design, but Bart Roberts really isn't my cup of tea both in terms of interior and exterior design. Interesting heli garage, ugly but practical.

Is there a new Bart Roberts? Link to more info?

Also, related to the shadow and Dubai. I don't think Dubai has a heli garage, so storage for the heli is another reason to have a shadow.
  7. Castlerock

Castlerock Senior Member

Bart Roberts was said to have sold recently. She has moved to Dubai and is moored at Palm Jumeirah.
  8. techmati

techmati Senior Member

any newbuild shadows happening or just conversions?
  9. dxbrich

dxbrich New Member

Been looking at Bart Roberts off the Palm for the last couple of months. No idea about the use of it as a shadow for Dubai, but it has recently changed from blue to red whilst I was away.
  10. Yacht News

There is either news or rumour out there that "Dubai" will be lengthened simply to regain the world's largest title? I mean "Eclipse" isn't that much longer than her anyways. So how true is this?
  11. Flying Yachtsm

Flying Yachtsm New Member

Eclipse is 11 metres longer than Dubai.

FY
  12. Justus

Justus Guest

shure ?
    I've heard that she might be 163 metres long
    also 1 metre.
  13. 84far

84far Senior Member

I also heard Eclipse is only around 1m longer than Dubai... So I wouldn't be surprised, If they wanted to regain the "trophy".

Far
  14. colintraveller

colintraveller Senior Member

Am pretty sure I seen that berthed alongside the Race track in Abu Dhabi whilst watching the F1 earlier this afternoon ..and there was 3 others well of the same size ..
  15. colintraveller

colintraveller Senior Member

Well the one such Prince is the owner of a dutch yard now renamed Oceanco that mainly deals in the larger end scale Yachts
  16. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

What you could see clearly today berthed Stbd Side to at the GP is the Dilbar
  17. Felipe

Felipe Senior Member

Itçs amazing to see how little movement gets the second largest yacht in the world, moored most of the time in Dubai. Her interior decor speaks volumes of local tastes and customs, maybe that explains why she doesnt travel much.
  18. Yacht News

Yeah. "Dubai" hardly sails around. Makes it hard to wonder what is the sense of building such large yacht and not use it extensively. Mind you, the yacht hosts functions and stuff like that but if it does leave the dock it is only on a very short cruise in the area's waters.
  19. ombreetsoleil

ombreetsoleil Senior Member