Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for Cross

Woodies & Classic Yachts

Discussion in 'Vintage & Classic Yachts' started by alloyed2sea, Aug 26, 2004.

1. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

And to start things off right, here's "Thunderbird" - a 1940 Hacker Enclosed Speedboat 55', currently powered by twin Allison V-12s (1200 hp each). :p

Attached Files:

2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

3. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, I have to say that AlphaZ is one of the nicest boats of recent days. Especially to be made of wood! I remember Mick Leach had something similar going on in the mid nineties, but to be built in composite. Has anyone seen if it became reality?
  4. YachtForums

I read somewhere, if my memory serves (it usually fails me), that the Alpha-Z cost somewhere between $500k and 1 million to produce. Based on those figures... it might be one of the most expensive boats (in this foot range) ever produced. Speaking of expensive... that Hacker has got to be worth a fortune!
  5. orion

orion Senior Member

Classic Yachts

One of the most beautiful and perfect restored classic yachts from Sweden is the M/Y Loris
    Designed by Knut Ljunberg and built for the swedish finance tycoon Ivar Kreuger in 1913 .

Here you see a picture from 1924 with famous guests:
    Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks, Greta Garbo and Mauritz Stiller.

Nice boat?

www.loris.a.se

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2005
  6. alloyed2sea

alloyed2sea Moderator

Wood is Good

Fantastique!
    THose Swedes - they really have it good.
    Thanx for posting.
    Cheers!
    Eric
  7. oheka

oheka New Member

Is this boat build by Petterson? The cabin midships is very typical swedish, you hardly find that design in classic boats from the 20´s and 30´s in the rest of Europe or the US, except for the navy launches maybe.

There are actually quite a few Petterson yachts on the market today
  8. orion

orion Senior Member

M/Y Loris is not a Petterson but in a similar design by Knut Ljungberg.
    Many boats in this style are wrongly called Petterson´s. The real ones are designed by Carl Gustav Petterson, the most famous swedish boat designer.
    Midship cabin was almost standard on yachts in Sweden from this period.

This is the M/Y Alba , designed by Hugo Schubert and built in Stockholm 1912.
    Now perfectly restored and a very popular charter yacht for daytrips in the beautiful archipelago of Stockholm.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  9. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

WOW, WOW and again W.W :eek:

What an amazing contraption!
  10. techmati

techmati Senior Member

Attached Files:

11. orion

orion Senior Member

12. techmati

techmati Senior Member

ACAJOU, the french name for mahogany which was what her hull was made of. Designed by Jon Bannenberg and built by l'esterel 1982 she was one of the first yachts which really made an impression on me. sadly meeting her demise in the storms at Marina Zeas at the beginning of this year.

Attached Files:

13. tantetruus

tantetruus New Member

14. techmati

techmati Senior Member

continuing with another Bannenberg woody. Actually i am not sure if Bannenberg actually designed her or did the interior refit. anyway AETOS, built in Greece 1971 by the Psarros yard in Perama which continues in the third generation of ownership of this exclusively wooden boat building yard. Beautiful......

Attached Files:

• 01s.jpg
      01s.jpg
      File size:
      100.3 KB
      Views:
  15. YachtForums

The carnage of Acajou is heart breaking. What a magnificent piece of mahogony she was. Here's some specs and a running shot... when the "wood was good."

SPECIFICATIONS:

L.O.A : 150' (45 m)
    Beam : 26' (7,80 m)
    Draught : 7'2'' (2,20 m)
    Gross Tonnage : 243 tons
    Engines : Twin MTU 16V 538 TB 92 - producing 3670 hp
    Speed : 25 Knots
    Generators : two 63.5 KW GM
    Fuel consumption: 1300 lt/hr
    Fuel capacity : 27,500 lt
    Water capacity :6,000 lt
    Construction : Wood

Attached Files:

16. techmati

techmati Senior Member

it was a sad day and we cant even ask Mr. Bannenberg to design another cos he left us also......... notice the refit, i did not like the change in the windows or the smoked glass on the railings top deck....clear glass please!

Attached Files:

17. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

The design history of the 1984, Esterel built Mauric / Bannenberg yacht.

Acajou was at first much more of a Designer Yacht, distinctive and well proportioned.

The first refit gave her an extended bridge deck with plush sofas and sunbeds.

The second refit, first seen as a Photoshop and bottom as she turned out in reality, included a semiraised deck and the hull losing its white trim.

To me she lost too much of the original character and the original top speed of 34 knots was also just a memory.

Does anyone know if she will be restored or what..?

Attached Files:

18. techmati

techmati Senior Member

many thanks for the interesting design history good stuff

i am interested to locate the hull, i am sure she is in one of our graveyards. considering typical insurance claims i guess she will lie somewhere until the hull claim is paid. whether someone will purchase and undertake the project to restore is another story.
  19. techmati

techmati Senior Member

any buyers?

Attached Files:

• 008b.jpg
      008b.jpg
      File size:
      98 KB
      Views:
  20. oheka

oheka New Member

I really love this boat, it is a converted former german minesweeper of the Schuetze-Klasse 343, built by Abeking & Rasmussen in the late fifties / beginning sixties. It is 47 m long and 8 m wide, powered by two Maybachs with 2.300 HP each. It is built with three layers of mahogany on steel frames.

Unfortunately they are not very sturdy, they were built very fast and calculated to serve the German Navy only for 15 years, they were immediately used for "real" hot minesweeping, the Baltic See at that time was still congested by mines from WW 2.

As it goes, the navy never has enough money, so these boats were used until the early nineties. I actually served on M1069 "Wega", these boats had really gone soft by the eighties, from my bunk I could see the sky through the creaking joinery, above 6 Bft you could see the complete interior move with the bare eye, in a storm up in the Skagerrak, we pounded our bows in nasty cross seas and the anchor winch completely broke through the foredeck. But they were beautiful boats, all teak and mahagony, if you ever worked on a grey fast patrol boat you will appreciate the difference.

The conversion ist unusual, because they just added a single deckshouse , which makes the boat very sleek. The reason for this unfortunately is not the exceptional good taste of the owner, but the needs of a film crew , which used this boat to play the role of "Carin II", the private yacht of top-nazi Hermann Goering in the film parody about the forged Hitler dairys called "Schtonk"

There are quite a few ex-minesweepers by Abeking & Rasmussen on the european market at the moment, reason probally is, that the owner bought them cheap of the navy, but did not have a clue of the true state of the hulls.

Attached Files: