Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay Click for Walker

Window AC For Carver Mariner 2897

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by AugieBoater85, Jun 23, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. AugieBoater85

AugieBoater85 New Member

Hey guys. I'm new to this site and it seems great so far. I'm posting this new thread because I am in need of guidance on how and what Air Conditioning unit I can and should install on my 1990 Carver Mariner 2897. I have seen a lot of people install window AC units in the small square window near the stern of the boat and then just plug it into one of the wall outlets. I would like to do this on my boat too. I wanted to know if anyone has installed one of these? And if so what size ac can fit in the small window back there? And do you have to take the window apart and do you need mounts? Any help or guidance would be much appreciated!! The summers get pretty hot here in July and August!

Warm Regards and Happy Boating!!

AugieBoater85
  2. 30West

30West Member

There are marine air conditioners that run off AC or DC that would be quieter, possibly easier to retrofit (need a couple thru-hull fittings), more efficient, and not as ugly.
  3. AugieBoater85

AugieBoater85 New Member

Do you know how much these units cost and where they may be available to purchase? Thank you for the reply. It's much appreciated. P.S Ive uploaded a photo of what i was talking about in my previous post. That is my exact boat model with the AC in the back, however I am unsure how to install this etc.

Regards

Attached Files:

4. 30West

30West Member

Google "marine air conditioner" and you will see a variety of them. The window version would work, not sure what that does to the value of your boat or enjoyment of it, or your neighbors.
  5. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Installing a self contained AC is going to run $2000/2500 and I doubt it s worth it on such a boat; that eye sore window AC is probably the only viable solution.

Between the noise and the heat coming out in cockpit, certainly not ideal...

As to instal you need to measure the space and find one that fit. Any gap left between the unit and the frame of the hatch / window can be closed off with starboard.

An better alternative would be to install it up on the flybridge so it's not as visible, under the helm. This would work if there is enough ventilation
  6. AugieBoater85

AugieBoater85 New Member

Thank you for the response. The only pace to drive the boat is from the flybridge and there is no opening or window to get the cool air from up on the flybridge down into the cabin.

But, If i do decide to install the AC just like it is in that picture (in the rear window) and use some king starboard to close of any gaps, do you think it will sit it the window OK? Or will i need some kind of mount to hold it up? its hard to tell from the pic if there is a mount or not or if is just held in by the widow itself. What are your thoughts? Thank's again.

Regards
  7. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

You can always install the AC unit in the window and if it does not suit you, add a support under it afterwards.