Click for Perko Click for Burger Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Westport

Windlass search

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by ReelPlumber, Sep 2, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ReelPlumber

ReelPlumber Member

I'm at a point where it's time to replace my windlass and was hoping you guys could help with my choices. I have a 1993 Viking 43' convertible that weighs about 39k pounds and it has a horizontal windlass. I don't want to get into doing any fiberglass work but not opposed to using starboard as a new base.

What I've found so far in brands is
    Lewmar (H2 or H3),
    Quick (Hector H3),
    Maxwell (HRC10).

Here's my questions:

1. Should I stay with horizontal or go vertical? (I think I have the room below deck for vertical).
    2. Is there an advantage of one over the other? (vertical/horizontal)
    3. Looking at the brands above, are there any others I should look at?
    4. Looking at the brands above having used them in the past what would your preference be?

Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks! 20150711_172710 (2).jpg
  2. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

None of those look like a drop-in replacement. The off set gear drive the current unit has will be hard to match. If it isn't possible to restore what you have, it would be best to bite the bullet and glass in the holes properly and get the windlass you want, rather than compromise. I would want the Maxwell; nothing but good experiences with them and Muir.
    What kind of problems are you having with the current setup? Maybe a good motor service, some powder coating, and upgrading the electrical supply will set you right?
  3. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

A 3/4" block of King Starboard should provide you with a clean canvas for the next install. The vertical windlass seems to be the more "yachty" choice. Maxwell IMHO looks to be the brand best regarded. I'd caution you to avoid Anchorlift: http://www.yachtforums.com/threads/anchorlift-windlass-problems.21887/ Good luck. I hope it works better than my poor choice.
  4. See level

See level New Member

A horizontal windlass would be the way to go, the chain doesn't bang on the deck as much coming in due to the chain wheel bringing the chain over the top.
    It's also going to be easier to work around the existing holes, the windlass body should be able to cover the larger chain drop hole.

I wouldn't recommend Starboard in this application, most all sealants won't stick to it very long and the vibration under operation will prematurely break down any sealant possibly allowing water into any sort of unprotected coring.

G-10 fiberglass plate is a little harder to work with but will stay bonded to the deck. You can use the same tools you would for Starboard and simple primer and enamel to paint.

You should also get anchor swivel and attach it to a shackle then the shackle to the anchor.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

We used neoprene as a gasket below our hotz Ideal.
    The Starboard idea has merit. The sealant does not have to adhere, just compress as a gasket should.
  6. PtJudeRI

PtJudeRI Senior Member

You should check out the Good F850 as well. Great company, great product, and great service (rebuild/repairability). Had one on my last boat and it was always ready to go.
  7. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

+1 on the Good company service.