Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for Westport

Why no scooters, Vespa, etc.

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by ckw, Jul 26, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. ckw

ckw New Member

Just a thought, why do people not carry these small, bike type machines?

Light weight.
    Min. space.
    No maintiance.
    Can throw on the dock w/ boom.
    Ride anywhere, without registering.

All race teams have them, boat, car, or moto.
    They can only carry so much, and need local running around ability.

With handicap laws, we no longer have steps, only ramps into marinas.
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

You will occasionally see one, but they tend to be a bit bulky and cumbersome on a boat. More often you'll see a folding bike or a mini-bike type (possibly electric), which tend to be easier to move to shore,and an occasional Segway. Once they're up to using a davit to put it ashore they want more fancy like a Harley or BMW, etc. Scooters tend to leave a guy feeling a bit girlie.
  3. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

That's a pretty bold statement. I guess you've never been to Italy.:D
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I have done a round the world trip on a yacht with two scooters, they lived in the Lazarette in custom storage racks. They were found to be useless in most locations as we were a foreign vessel and the scooters were not registered.

They needed to have the fuel drained out and carbs cleaned everytime they were stowed away.

Overall they were way more hassle than they were worth.
  5. JWY

JWY Senior Member

I know of 2 steel trawlers that pack: a 81 footer with two scooters and a 63 that had a Harley, both carried on their upper deck.

Judy
  6. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I'll see if I can find the pictures I took in Costa Rica last year of a yacht with several Harleys on deck.
  7. colintraveller

colintraveller Senior Member

I would rather a few MTB's instead ...
  8. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Motor Torpedo Boats?
  9. colintraveller

It's more the case of the type of owner of the vessel .. We now see such events where owners and designers come together and discuss what the owner want's and needs .. there is such an event happening in Forida a 2 day event ..

Though some builders will offer a car included Azimut lincuded a Bentley Continential GT and Sunseeker did a ltd edt Predator 108 that came with included Caterham Sports Car .. it's all fine well but if your anchored of an island which the terrain isn't suited for a car .. Car ain't much use and how many Harbours that has proper access for Cars / Motorsbikes that can be driven to and from the vessel . ..

I don't know of any Harbours or marina's that can do this .. [ Anyone care to elborate on this point ]

Me personally I would rather have several MTB's on board cost effective and less hassle overall and easier to go to and fro from the marina
  10. colintraveller

Mountain Bikes
  11. Ormond Bert54

Ormond Bert54 Senior Member

A couple of these might be a nice addition to a sizable boat.

[​IMG]
  12. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

My Wife begged and begged and begged for one. "Oh we'll use it all the time, *especially* down in the islands." (Carib.) she says.

I concede. We bought one.

Bought a custom fitted cover for it to protect it from the elements, etc. etc.

She used it once. She was hassled to no end down in Dominica or Nevis. I can't remember however I'm sure she could tell you with explicit accuracy. She darn near had to walk back to town to get in radio range to hail me in the rib. After hours of negations with the locals (police), cash only payment of said "infraction(s)" er.... the greasing palms.... and it went back in its place up top and sat there for the season.

The boat is now in the Great Lakes and the first thing I did when we tied up was pull the scooter off the boat. It's now being ridden around by my nieces and nephews, and I'll don't think I'll ever get it back. Nor do I want it.

My Wife however will point out what a *great* idea it was (of hers of course) that we brought the scooter back with us for the kids to play on. Right. Great idea, Dear.
  13. Kevin

Kevin YF Moderator

Just as a matter of curiosity, where can you ride a scooter without a registration?

Here it requires a registration and a drivers license (either a full automobile license, or a specific scooter/moped license which requires a vision test, written test, and practical driving test).
  14. CapLady

CapLady Senior Member

Here is a shot offloading my Ducati in Mallorca. I loved bringing back and forth between the USA and Europe. I used a Florida registration with no trouble but had to have insurance for Europe.

[​IMG]
  15. JustMag

JustMag Member

CapLady.......just wondering how you like the Ducati??? Been toiling between a Ducati Monster and a Triumph Street Triple
  16. CapLady

CapLady Senior Member

Sorry for being off topic everybody!

JustMag, The Ducati is very cool, everybody loves them both in Europe and the USA.

The Street Triple is a really nice bike. I have tried them. I would say ride them both and buy the one you feel most comfortable on.

Have fun!
  17. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Love Triumph (used to have a 1969 650 Bonneville), but they don't have much representation in the States. I've heard a few owners complaining about long waits for parts.
  18. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

A customer of ours came to the boatyard and asked if we could do a little fibreglass work on his bike? I asked, jokingly, if he had fallen off it (he's an ex-racer), he said "yes at about 160mph"!

Its a MTT Y2K which has a Rolls-Royce gas turbine helicoptor engine in it.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/bikes/mtt.htm

We have the fairing, all carbon, in our glass shop now and he has brought the builder of the bike over from New Orleans to help with a few issues, new stainless dashboard, heat protection, etc.

Unfortunately he cannot fit the bike on his boat as its only a 32' go-fast.

http://www.yourdiscovery.com/video/greatest-ever-motorcycles-the-y2k/
  19. tirekicker11

tirekicker11 Senior Member

You better charge him accordingly. A Y2K is for people with more money than sense. US$ 200,000.- for a bike that can't make the turn at the traffic lights.

It doesn't take much money to crash at high speed, I crashed my Suzuki 1300R at 236 km/h in Germany after 4 days of ownership.