Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Delta

Why are there no hydrofoil yachts similar to this?

Discussion in 'Yacht Designers Discussion' started by karldiesen, Sep 25, 2016.

1. karldiesen

karldiesen New Member

With active hydrofoils it would be more comfortable, prevent seasickness and make yachts go much faster/ longer. They could be retractable too, to sail in shallow waters.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2016
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Hydrofoils usually have a ton of draft which limits them in MANY ports. And also if the wave height gets over a certain point, they can't go out or ride horribly from what I've been told. Also weight sensitive.
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I remember reading long ago, the Hawaiian island ferries (with foils) was running out of spare foils,,, to many whale strikes.
  4. pierberio

pierberio New Member

In late sixties italian Rodriquez yard built a "hydrofoil yacht" based on a passenger hydrofoil.
    some information in the following PDF at page 15.
    (I remember the movie quoted in the article: all the people cruising a large sail yacht got swimming forbidding to put a ladder to come back on board.
    as they were aloft the Hydroyacht passed near to them. The owner, not recognizing the situation, saluted the unhappy bathing people and went away...).

http://www.classicfastferries.com/cff/pdf/cff49-2013pdf.pdf
  5. BlueNomad

BlueNomad Member

I realise this is a six year old thread, but over the last decade or so there seems to have been a resurgence of foiling concepts across a range of vessel types, recreational & commercial. The 2013 America's Cup was a fantastic showcase (imo) for what is actually possible.

However, as with everything else, foils don't come for free. In addition to the very relevant points already made, there's a considerable resistance penalty for any off-design points of operation. The marketing video looks very nice as the vessel rides comfortably over flat seas enjoying excellent fuel burn for a given speed, but throw in a little chop or swell & things begin to look & feel different. Even a different heading can change response considerably. This is before considering the additional build cost & complexity, maintenance requirements, etc.

Furthermore, there's a limit on how much lift can be generated per given foil area before the onset of cavitation, causing a breakdown of lift, vibration & potentially structural issues. These vessels must therefore be lightweight, proportionately much lighter than your average superyacht with a nice interior & all the bells & whistles.