Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Abeking Click for Westport Click for Glendinning

Where can I find a ZF/MPM 260 v drive or parts?

Discussion in 'Sea Ray Yacht' started by Capt J, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

One of the boats I manage is an early 90's 50' Searay with 6v92's and it has MPM 260 v-drives (no integral transmission, it has a short jackshaft to the transmission). The v-drive has a cracked housing. Does anyone know where one can find a good used one, rebuilt one, or parts for these? The v-drive seems to operate ok, but the housing is cracked near the bottom and all of the oil leaks out within hours and I hear a cracked housing is a common phenomenon with them. I haven't run it like this, but it seems to turn the propellor and shaft no problem. Does anyone know of a different one that is a close replacement?
  2. nemobilemarine

nemobilemarine New Member

case cracked??

We are faced with the same thing on a customers boat... I think I can get you the number for a shop in MASS. that may have a used case if you still have not resolved this. Problem with welding it is it will nedd to be torn down, welded inside and out and it may through your gear lash out of spec or miss align the gears, but probably can be done, and to salvage it this may be your only option...Those drives are hard to find.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Tell me about it. Nobody has one of these drives. The good news is that it was completely dissassembled and the case is at the machine shop getting welded, the internals all looked perfect, once it gets back from the machine shop, it will be re-assembled and shimmed as needed. We got lucky I feel, but we shall see.......
  4. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

A suggestion...try Canoe Cove Yachts in BC Canada, they used to use V drives all the time and may have a source ,,worth a shot. they are still in business on Vancouver Island...
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

6. SHAZAM

SHAZAM Senior Member

Nearly impossible to find parts for these gears. I've heard of boats being laid up for years at a time while waiting for these gears!
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, the only other option is replacing both the v-drive and the transmission with a modern v-drive and that would entail cutting down the shafts, if the new v-drive even fits in the space.