Click for MotorCheck Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport

What's your favorite yacht?

Discussion in 'Popular Yacht Topics' started by YachtForums, Jun 1, 2004.

1. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I thought this might be an interesting thread. What's your favorite yacht? And why?

I'm going participate in this thread, but a little later, as it might be best for me to remain somewhat impartial. Generally speaking, my favorite yacht is... usually someone elses. :rolleyes:

Here are some loose parameters...

1. If money were no object, what yacht would you most like to have?
    2. Staying within reasonable financial means, what would be your choice?

So, what's your favorite yacht or boat? And why?
  2. Henrik

Henrik New Member

great idea this thread.

1.- I love the design of OCTOPUS ... it's a really great design for my opinion
    but I have also to say... if I had all the money ... this yacht would
    be much to big for me and my family. ..but she is and looks great! :)

2.- I'm looking for a new boat these days and I'm depending between 2 yards
    and models.
    sunseeker and lazzara are my favourites.

sunseeker 94'
    lazzara 106'

on the other side I like the westport 112 and 130 .... but I think they are
    to big to handle without crew and the first need is: NO CREW on my boat!
    on the other side... hmmm... if I take only girls as crew.... :rolleyes:
    but don't tell this my wife .... urghs :D

ahh... I see I didn't aswered why I like these two. I like their design - sure, if not, I wouldn't think about to buy one. But it's not only the design. The size is small enough to handle em without crew and they are on the other side big enough to live aboard the most time of a year. Speaking about the quality of the boats I can only tell about the sunseeker 94, because I was several times as a guest aboard and was very impressed. Till now I was never aboard a lazzara 106, but the yard send me some material with very nice photos... so I think I have to visit the yard in the near future to get a look on their building skills. Another MUST BE is a huge flybridge, because it's one of my favourite places aboard.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2004
  3. YachtForums

Hi Henrik,

Good post! Your protocol sets parameters and that draws a conclusion. You'de think the rest of these guys were at a singles bar for ladies night, 'cause they can't make their minds up! :rolleyes:

Or maybe... they have an idea, but they're afraid their wives might disagree? :p

Or maybe... they're suffering from opinion deficit disorder? :D

Come on people... cast a vote!
  4. mdrewelow

mdrewelow Guest

the original Superyacht "DOROTHEA"

DOROTHEA is the most beautiful yacht afloat. Click here for photos and stuff that I wrote about her.
  5. JHA

JHA Senior Member

Parafin

If I had a choice I'd choose Parafin for my sled.
    She has beautiful lines, and the unmatched dutch craftsmanship. Of course she would be way out of my league. I could afford maybe a 18' aluminum row boat... just a couple of cheeseburgers and a six pack for a fuel, and minimum maintenance.
  6. John B

John B Senior Member

Well, actually, even if money were no object, I don't have a desire to own a megayacht. I'm very close to my ideal boat/yacht now. Maybe go a little bit larger, but can't see why I'd want to go over 90', more likely in the 80's.

Like Henrik, I have no desire to have a boat that requires a crew. I also want the flexibility to be able to get in and out of most ports.

To name boats, an Azimut 86S or a Lazzara 80e come to mind. From a practical standpoint the Lazzara or an equivalently styled Azimut are much more likely candidates for me.

If money were no object, I'd say I'd like to have a sister ship in the Med! ;)
  7. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

Limitless

I would have to go with Limitless. I spent a short time on her back in 97. She is an amazing vessel. There was nothing overlooked from the design, the electronics package and also the act of Congress to allow her to fly the American Flag.
  8. Bob Scott

Bob Scott Guest

I don't know enough about it for an educated commentary on it, but i dig on "Perfect Prescription".
  9. Henrik

Henrik New Member

hi Bob,

Î think there's no problem with handling that boat. :cool: I'm 35 years old and my wife is 30 years old. I know a lot of bigger and smaller boats, but this size is perfect to live aboard the most time of the year....! We can get an au pair girl with us... helping with the childs. And we have often friends with us... so I can see no problem...
    And be sure.... in every harbour you can get a security service... if you need a cook or a party service... it's all available in every harbour I know.

So, fo me and my family I can't see any problem .... :D
  10. Bob Scott

Bob Scott Guest

i'm not saying it can't be done, but i do think you are in for a BIG surprise! bottom line is a 106 that is as big as the lizard 106 is easily a 2-3 crew boat, capt/stew...capt/mate...capt/mate/stew. there is a TON of behind the scenes work that goes into a boat that size. if doing all that work is what you are into, then hey maybe it will work out great for you. best wishes!
  11. C & N Yacht

C & N Yacht New Member

It was Limitless until I saw Lurssen's "Carinthia VII". The boat is gorgeous. The flag blue hull does need a new coat of paint. They brush painted and it looks horrible at this time.
  12. YachtForums

When "Limitless" was mentioned, I smiled and thought... yep. The lines on Limitless are as sexy as the models that helped fund it.

But, the direction I'm going is a little different. I tend to gravitate towards traditional classic yachts, much like our Broward. BUT... with a modern planing hull! I recieved a press release a while ago from Holland Jachtbouw on a new 96' classic cruiser they custom built for an American buyer. I know the design is "old school", but in this particular case... I happen to like school! I hope to graduate to something like this one day. However, I've never seen the interior, so who knows, it might look like my grandmother's house. :rolleyes:

Here's a picture of Cassiopia...

Attached Files:

13. C & N Yacht

C & N Yacht New Member

Come to think of it Pelorus also have very similar lines as Carinthia. Just that I always like Flag Blue Hull.
  14. YachtLover

YachtLover New Member

My favorite yacht if money was no object would be a Sunseeker 94 or 105....I just love their flowing lines, big windows and those interiors...if money was an object, my favorite yacht would be a Cruisers 455 Motoryacht for $650,000 or a Cruisers 405 Motoryacht for $400,000...I also like the Meridian 408, and 459.
  15. Motoryacht

Motoryacht Member

If money were no object, the latest Lurssen yachts are the first thing that come to mind, but that's another mans reality. For me, I would choose the 98' or 112' Westports. The quality of workmanship and the engineering are among the best I've seen. They're also fast and fuel efficient. If I can't find the right used Westport in the future, I would opt for a Hargrave or a new Hatteras.
  16. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Top on my list would be Talitha G, she is just stunning with her bold redesign by Jon Bannenberg. Second choice is another Bannenberg yacht, Madiblu, ex Parts VI, which still after almost twenty years is a trendsetter... :)
  17. YachtForums

Ahhh... Talitha G! What a wonderful classic. It would appear that Royal Huisman's Athena has adopted some her original character.

Attached Files:

mepdc likes this.
  18. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Yes, most "designers" today are singin the Copy Machine Blues...,
    but I would guess in this case that JC wanted this particular 1920´s style and I don´t blame him. Cant wait to see her rigged out! :)
  19. YachtForums

Actually, I might be able to help you out. Here's a link to the latest pictures of Athena... :)

http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1525
  20. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

'Sheer' Beauty

I'm not particularly a powerboat person, but I must say I think you're right. She is a beauty.

There sure was a 'lot of style' in some of those older designs were maxing out the accomodations was not all the rage. I saw an article in Soundings by Ted Danforth that prompted me to write,

"Just finished reading your article about Ray Hunt in the June issue of Soundings, I wanted to write and let you know how much I truly enjoyed the article.

You captured not only the factual history, but more importantly, some of the essence of being involved with yachts and yacht design itself.... "the measure of total understanding of the nature of a boat."

And most importantly, you included the oft forgotten element, the sheer line. What a terribly important factor!

Romantically stated, but oh so true, "it is simply her sheer … sheer beauty that is. She enters the harbor like a beautiful woman entering a room. Her sheer is the line we try to get right when we doodle boats."

So many of today’s boats lack this beauty, and correspondingly, some of the essence of yesteryear’s yachting.