Click for Glendinning Click for Furuno Click for Nordhavn Click for MotorCheck Click for YF Listing Service

Whats' a good Replacement GPS?

Discussion in 'Sea Ray Yacht' started by NBiancardo, Jul 7, 2014.

1. NBiancardo

NBiancardo New Member

I have an Raymarine C70 unit that came with a 2004 SeaRay 320. It's dead and needs to be swapped out. I really only use it for getting around the Great South Bay. Firstly i'd like it to work with all my Raymarine Equiptment, and secondly an ability to view the screen at sharp angles and in the direct sun would be a high prioriaty.

I have been looking at getting the C95, does anyone have any opnions on this unit?
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

For GPS I prefer Garmin products. Don't worry too much about starting to rebuild your electronics package. At 10 years old it's all on its way out anyway. For radar I like Furuno. Can't stand Raymarine products. Too much burried deep in menues, and lousy customer service IMHO.
  3. NBiancardo

NBiancardo New Member

Thanks, i will give them a look as well!
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Garmin for smaller boats......Furuno is the best but a little over the top for your vessel......I too have had to send way too many Raymarine units back to the factory and had to pay them to fix them, they don't support products....a new GPS antannae for an E120 and you need to change all sorts of stuff just to replace the GPS antannae.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Gtanted Furuno NavNet has some nice stuff, but I still prefer Garmin. Personal preference more than anything wrong with Furuno. The Garmins I've worked with repeat faster, store more routes, and I prefer their display. I also find them very intuative. Again though more personal preference. Just not Raymarine.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Like I said earlier, Garmin are best suited for smaller boats. You will always see Furuno on commercial ships....
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Misunderstood what you meant by "smaller". Commercial ships there are all sorts of other choices, some I'm not familiar with at all. We're talking about a 40 footer here.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Heck a Garmin handheld GPS would be more advanced and have better maps than his raymarine c70!
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

My 176C has taken me 10's of thousands of hours all around the east coast, including over 30 NE-So.Fl. runs. It gave me signal when Northstars got lost. The things been banged around and dropped so many times I couldn't hazzard a guess; been soaked in rain and salt spray tons. It's got 10 data screens, so you have everything you need to know at a glance. Clear vector, heading and courselines on the screen. LOVE IT!
  10. NBiancardo

NBiancardo New Member

I ended up getting a Garmin GPS 820. Hopefully it will be a good fit for me.

Thanks for the help guys!
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Do the software update on it when you install it if it does not have the current software in it.