Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder Click for JetForums

What is this hose?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by BoulderGT3, Feb 13, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. BoulderGT3

BoulderGT3 Senior Member

I want to keep ahead of the engine room. These are about 1"OD hoses that run from the steering cooler to the dripless. They are starting to age at the ends. At first, I thought they were high pressure line and fittings but as I look at them I think they are a press on barbed fitting. There is a reinforced hose under the blue exterior. One way or another, I want to replace 4 of them from 1' to 4'.

Insights on what the construction is and best place to have them made in FTL? thanks.
    IMG_1110.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  2. BoulderGT3

BoulderGT3 Senior Member

I just answered my own question. It's Aeroquip socketless hose. I've used many 100's of feet of their racing hose and reusable fittings but I haven't used these barbed connectors before.
  3. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

You can make them yourself, I think those end fittings are good to 150 psi if I remember correctly?
  4. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Many choices in Ft. Laud for Aeroquip hose and fittings, one of the oldest and best in business is Hydraulic Supply on 2nd Ave behind Lester's diner.
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

If the fittings have no damage to the sealing surfaces there is no reason that they cannot be resued
  6. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

The notches on hex part of the nut usually are there to indicate a left hand thread. (ASME)
  7. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I do not think this applies to Aeroquip brand fittings.
  8. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Being that they're push lock fittings, and it looks like they're attached to solid things, if you're going to re-use the old fittings, it might be easier to leave them attached, cut off the old hose, and push on the new hose. I prefer swaged on fittings over push lock, but push lock works in most instances. I've had issues with push lock fittings on the suction side of diesel engines before (fittings sucking air).
  10. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

My transmission coolers have hose barb fittings on them as well as the dripless seals. Really no pressure. I now remove the hose once a year to make sure no corrosion in elbow and that water is flowing well. Learned a good lesson on that when burnt up a seal because of no water.
  11. BoulderGT3

BoulderGT3 Senior Member

Good tip. Thanks.
  12. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

Just FYI; The blurry fitting in the background with the blue hose in the op picture is a high pressure hydraulic make-up fitting, no hydraulic crimp machine required (2 wrenches is all that's needed). I would go with that style. If they handle high pressure hydraulics using in lower pressure applications is ok as long the hose has the correct ID & OD.
  13. BoulderGT3

BoulderGT3 Senior Member

I have not worked with these push on socket less aeorquip hoses before. These are -10 size but the larger ones I've used before I had to have a unique press to get them on the barbed male fitting. I would rather just cut the hose off and not remove the fittings but I don't know that I can get the compression tool on it to push the hose back on. If I use their lubricant, can I push these hoses on by hand? Much bigger job if I have to pull and disturb the fittings. Thanks.
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yes, you can just push them on by hand, but push hard and twist a little and try to get the hose on in one shot
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

A fresh hose usually goes on with one good push. Older hoses may need a hot water dip and some lube.
    The picture shows some outer chafe jacket cracks. This does not mean the hose has any performance issues.
    looks smaller than a 1" hose. Please offer any numbers on the fittings or hose.
    IE; size 16 is a 1" hose.