Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger

What about Cape Horn Yachts ?

Discussion in 'Cape Horn Yacht' started by Ju52, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ju52

Ju52 Senior Member

2. YachtForum

YachtForum Publisher/Admin

3. JWY

JWY Senior Member

I can't speak for the "new" Cape Horn Yachts, but I have heard that they do not answer emails or return phone calls. Maybe a bit of history would be helpful: Peter Sever started The Cape Horn Trawler Corp. to build a luxury yacht for extended passagemaking with emphasis on safety and redundancy. Eden Bound, CH hull # 1, was his personal boat. 15 hulls were built in Canada from 1997-2003. A client of mine signed up for a new build CH 82 in 2003. He requested design modifications, some of which were not agreeable to Peter, so the client offered to purchase the company in order to get the vessel built his way. That's when Cape Horn trawlers became Cape Horn Yachts. The owner's 82 has been under construction at a US yard ever since and no additional hulls were sold. I heard that there were personal circumstances that have resulted in his "abandonment" of the project and the company.

The Cape Horn trawlers are vessels who have proven their safety and seakeeping ability over the years in adverse circumstances. Too bad the company didn't fare as well as the boats. For website information on the The Cape Horn Trawler Corp, try web.archive.org and look for www.thecapehorn.com
  4. clnewman

clnewman New Member

I'm in the market for a trawler, and have stumbled on the Cape Horn web site (yup... still active). Unfortunately, no reply to my inquiry as yet.

There's an 81' Cape Horn in San Diego that we're visiting on Friday. Will grill the broker about the builder and post results here.
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi Cinewman,

I was involved in the redesign of a Cape Horn 70 prior to construction, I think it ended up being 75'. It is called Lords Warrior and is owned by a British family who had quite an experience to have her built in the middle of the companys transformation...

But they were brave and finally got a nice boat that after an Atlantic crossing now is their second home in the Med.

Seems as something is going on at the website of Cape Horn, but I have no idea who is behind it today and if they are building any yachts?

If you want to come in touch with the owners of Lords Warrior, send me an email. You´ll find my address at the website below this picture.

Attached Files:

6. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Lars --

As usual, you're correct. Lord's Warrior is 75 LOA and the owners did have some issues while their boat was under construction. The yard that built the 3 largest vessels' hulls was the Pictou Yard in Nova Scotia; the yard sold and closed and the vessels were completed at the Carraquet yard in New Brunswick. I believe the owners are, in the end, quite pleased with their yacht as I have had prospective buyers which they have turned down.

The vessel in San Diego to which Cinewman is referring is one of the subsequent 81' LOA vessels based on the 75' hull. The SD vessel is called Wright of Passage. The other 81' Cape Horn is in Palm Beach, Fl.

I believe the "new" company, Cape Horn Yachts, is no longer answering calls nor building boats.

Judy
  7. WannabeeYhtsman

WannabeeYhtsman New Member

Thanks for the information update Judy, that explains the relationship of the Flower’s family of “CSB” and the unfinished CH 82 in their yard.
  8. JWY

JWY Senior Member

All of the Cape Horn trawlers were built in Canada, primarily at the A.F. Theriault yard in Meteghan River, N.S.

CSB had never built any of the Cape Horns previously. When the new owner bought the company in 2003, he signed on with CSB to build his own CH 82 which was to be the demo model for subsequent builds...and there it still sits, unfinished.

Judy
  9. clnewman

clnewman New Member

From what I gather, Wright of Passage has been sold, but the broker is going to give us a peek, anyway... along with Park Isle's Wanderbird.

With Cape Horn essentially out of the picture, can anybody recommend a steel hulled builder of quality trawlers? Am looking for a single engine (De-rated 3406?), 3 stateroom with pilothouse and flybridge. My budget limits me to less than $2.5 mil, so am probably going to be under 65'.

Have talked to Roy at Park Isle, and though FRP, they're still an option. However, I'd rather bump into a floating container at 9kt. with steel than glass.

Chuck
  10. JWY

JWY Senior Member

I have successfully worked with and recommend A.F. Theriault and Yachtsmith Int. for steel; ABD Aluminum and Kanter Yachts for aluminum hulls. For specific information, pros and cons, on these and other steel yacht builders please contact me offline.

Judy Waldman
    jwyachts@comcast.net
  11. OutMyWindow

OutMyWindow Senior Member

12. clnewman

clnewman New Member

Toured 2 trawlers today: Wright of Passage (Cape Horn) and Wanderbird (Park Isle).

WoP was frankly, a disappointment. Though massive and stout looking, it clearly needs some love. Panels and laminates are coming off, the engine room is cold, dirty and dank (can you say mildew?) and the instrumentation is "yachtie", rather than the commercial-grade tech goodies you'd expect for a yacht of this caliber.

I only have one word to say about Wanderbird: WOW!! :eek:

Pricey for a 65' (at $3.65 mil)? Absolutely! But you can see in the fit/finish throughout the vessel as to why. Where WoP has problems with fit/finish issues, Wanderbird is the opposite extreme... way over the top. Other than the fact the master stateroom has 2 beds, I couldn't find fault with it. The attention to detail was unlike anything I've ever seen. Lord, you could eat off the engine block.

One could surmise that the difference between the 2 vessels in that WoP isn't getting much attention at the dock, while Wanderbird is captain/crew-maintained... even in the broker's slip.
  13. dutch

dutch New Member

Cape Horn still around?

On 2/12/ I sent an email from the Cape Horn web page, and received a reply from Teresa Flowers, Vice president.

Apparently Cape Horn is Custom Steel Boats of Merritt, North Carolina.

I asked her about the possibility of a 90' or so, with diesel/electric power.

Anyone know anything about this yard?
  14. clnewman

clnewman New Member

If CSB was Cape Horn, they're now doing the builds for Chuck Neville's designs ( http://nevilletrawlers.com/ ), as well as their own Amerigo line of boats, which I believe are also Chuck Neville designs.

I've not had any discussions with CSB, so can't say more. However, I have talked with Chuck and his partner (Doug Coupar). Nice guys... and very open in their discussions.
  15. YachtForum

YachtForum Publisher/Admin

Admin Note...

The last two posts in this thread have been removed. The 1st post was a leader and the 2nd was a follow-up promotional post by the same yard. This kind of conduct is HIGHLY unprofessional and it IS a form of fraud.

A number of builders maintain a presence here, but they have never promoted themselves. Because of the above referenced actions, we may establish a list of companies that attempt to deceive readers for exposure and personal gain.

This thread has been locked.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.