Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Mulder Click for Cross Click for Nordhavn

Westport opening a service center in Stuart, Fl.

Discussion in 'Westport Yacht' started by captholli, Oct 28, 2014.

1. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Westport grows service in Florida.
    After the acquisition of Westport yachts earlier this year by Gary Chouest of Edison Chouest offshore it was announced yesterday that a service center would be opening on the Saint Lucie river adjacent to American Custom yachts. Enclosed covered buildings and hard serviced haul out facilities along with enhanced haul out capabilities will be built at the Saint Lucie site to handle Westport's larger 50 meter vessels. The New river site will also be given a face lift with new technical buildings and a new three story office complex.
    Excerpts from this article can be found on Superyacht news.com 28 Oct. 2014
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

They are also building Venture at that location. So a lot going on. It will be interesting to see what they do with the multiple companies. This is all on top of all the production facilities of Edison Chouest as they have five shipyards. I don't see those ever entering into the pleasure boat equation though.
  3. captholli

captholli Senior Member

It's a good bit up the ICW from Jupiter inlet to ACY's facility as the Saint Lucie inlet is a mess depth wise even with all the ongoing
    dredging. Going through 4 corners @ Manatee Pocket and up through the Very narrow and current (tide) misaligned railroad bridge @ the old Roosevelt bridge is going to pucker many a captain more so than the New River ever has. Chouest has the $$ and they have always done things first class facility wise but Westport will have to bring some of its work force to the new facility to train and retain good technicians as they wont be coming over from ACY .
    I've had the opportunity to take a couple of 35 - 40 meter yachts to AYC a few years past and wasn't impressed but with the exception of the paint hall. I found them to be VERY sport fish centric and really didn't have the refinement to compete with other yards as far as Yacht quality work and sourcing were concerned. I'm sure they'll get up to speed if they already haven't. Sea tow and Boat U.S. rubber boats will be licking their chops dreaming of New River money on this deal. It'll be interesting to sit back and watch how this comes to fruition and if it will be a success.
  4. olderboater

Frankly, if I was to the point of needing work done today, I'd still go to Rybovich. I know their experience and the quality of work they can do.

I've been through there in boats up to an 85' Westport which only has a 5' draft and 98' and 112' might be ok, but a 130 with 6'6" and a 164 with 7'3" plus just maneuvering them could be a challenge. C'est La Vie, which is ACY's largest I believe, has a 6'8" draft.

Obviously going to have to be a lot of work done there to fit more in and to do the work to the quality needed. I don't know how much they can expand the facility but they do have 63 acres at least.

I would ask too how often do people even go back to the builder for refits. And I don't see a lot of major refits on Westports anywhere. So, not real sure what, if any, the significance of the change is. I think it's more to free space in Fort Lauderdale and simply to have the equipment and space to service Westports, especially the 164. There's a lot of emphasis in the article toward being able to handle a 50 meter yacht. The underlying issue is that they currently can't. Otherwise I don't see it as a major change. Time will tell. I do see a lot of people having long drives to work.
  5. captholli

captholli Senior Member

I would be inclined to think this facility would be the warranty facility for the 164 as that's really all the Ft Lauderdale facility is ( a warranty facility for all Westport's) as you said, I don't think that anybody brings their boat back to the builder for a refit but then again, ALL builders like to keep close hands and eyes with pre planned maintenance programs during the warranty periods of these vessels as many owners and captains use the "Big W" for a catch all for the first 12 months. I knew a Capt. on a new 130' that would claim light bulbs during the first year of warranty due to a perceived vibration that was taking bulbs out...
    Never found the vibration and Westport graciously appeased this Gent for the first year. Talk about customer service with a smile!
    I'm waiting for the time in the next few years that a press release states that manufacturing of Westport's line up will start taking place at this facility because they have to face the reality of the marketplace and client base and the transportation costs associated with the Pacific North West manufacturing plants. Christensen is moving ahead with its Lake Telico manufacturing facility in Knoxville Tenn. for a few of those reasons but the main reason is that they cant build to 60 -70 meters in their current plant and launching facilities.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  6. olderboater

I don't foresee them moving manufacturing as the freight is ultimately still a small percentage of the price. Their efficiencies where they are would be hard to duplicate and the cost of a relocation of any sort would be huge.

As to warranty service and even post warranty service their reputation is very good with or without it being done at their facility. And there are some customers who do believe warranty means everything. I've heard of them wanting fuel filters covered. But then on cars the same thing happens. And on the lake there was the man who was irate because the dealer and Mercruiser wouldn't replace his lower unit under warranty after he ran over a tree.

Is Christiansen actually doing anything at Tellico or is that all still talk? It started in 2007.

And who is looking for the facility to build smaller Ocean Alexander Yachts and was looking at Merritt?
  7. captholli

captholli Senior Member

The economy put the brakes on Lake Telico in '08 but now with their order book full until 2018 they're actively marketing a 62 meter that apparently has a returning customer willing to build if Christensen makes some contractual concessions relating to cherry picking some of the key dept. heads & relocating some of Vancouver's general work force and management to the Telico location to facilitate the quality of the build as nobody wants to be the first Guiney pig in a venture like this and certainly not with a 60+ meter new build. They have gone as far as interior mock ups for joinery and marble etc to be manufactured out west and installed @ the Telico facility Not wanting to get away from the Westport thread but I do believe that Christensen has had a maint. crew and facility build out crew at the Telico location for several months waiting for the green light. Ocean Alexander is a whole other animal and I have no knowledge concerning the future of that collaboration.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Is westport nuts? There are several shallow spots between the ICW and their service center. The river is too narrow and shallow to get their larger yachts to it. Quite frankly, if I had to take a 112' there, I'd be on pins and needles the entire time. Also, are you supposed to come in Palm Beach inlet and take the ditch up or Ft. Pierce and take the ditch down because St. Lucie inlet and Jupiter are both on the shallow side for their 130'+ vessels......it's a very dumb move IMO.
  9. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Martin County commissioners have a proven track record of being star struck when the name "Chouest" is linked to any local business development and I really cant blame them as Gary Chouest and family (starting with Gary's dad) have a gleaming track record for making money and employing hundreds of people in high paying jobs that in turn fuel the local economies. If I recall correctly, Three years ago during the economic down turn ACY / Chouest announced a joint venture to manufacture pre peg carbon GRP wind farm aero blades @ the ACY facilities land and between the state of Florida and the Martin County commission and the Martin county business development board I believe the tax incentives and lease backs for new construction totaled more than eighty million dollars all with the carrot of employing a new work force of six hundred. Unfortunately this venture never became a reality and Chouest and co. repaid all forwarded funds back to the state and county with no litigation so that was refreshing for a change. I never underestimate what a county and state will do to prostitute themselves when it comes to a positive press release that's self serving for the party that may be in control at the time as they're both guilty of this but when the big boys of business come a knocking to create jobs and infrastructure to generate local and state tax's than anything is possible such as dredging and bridge widening etc.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I don't think the location could ever be suitable to get most of Westports boats into it. The depth in many places and quite honestly most of it from the ICW to their just isn't enough......it makes no sense when there are so many better-suited available locations.
  11. captholli

captholli Senior Member

I agree with you that this location as is isn't outwardly suitable current and river width wise but its a head scratcher that a 165' named Compass Rose with a draft of 12.6' sat @ ACY for over a year and had its interior and electronics installed while sitting in the deep slip on the far west slip by Bosch towers. All I can figure is that besides playing the tide they had to drain every drop of fluids to lighten ship and even then they would have to drag it through the silt and mud. I had the unfortunate job of project managing a refit for Lloyds @ ACY after the Hurricanes of 2004 and that vessel was 148' & had a draft of 7'4 and we had Sea Tow bring us through the Saint Lucie inlet after sounding it the day before. Once past the Roosevelt bridge we were in and out of the bottom (mud) several times. Once we were tied up at ACY we were fine in the slip. I can see why Chouest would want to combine all of the companies yacht holdings on the 70 acres that they own out right as I have no idea what the state of the Lauderdale site is i.e. long term leased or owned?
  12. olderboater

Westport does own the Fort Lauderdale Site.

I think clearly the Fort Lauderdale site lacks the needed space and capacity. But that doesn't mean the Stuart space is good, nor does it mean that it can be made so with the planned improvements.
  13. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Yeah, but the Fort Lauderdale sight isn't big enough to do a whole lot there. Why not buy New River Marina or the old Greek Yard, that can really accomodate what they're looking to do. Stuart just isn't it. The draft isn't there and the inlet not recommended for a boat that size.
  14. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    Capt J, as far as I know, Yacht Management already took over New River Marina (I hope former manager John Conner, found his way after his NRM episode)
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

uhhhhh yeah