Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Burger

Westbay Sonship vs. Offshore Yachts...?

Discussion in 'Westbay Sonship Yacht' started by bcboater, Jul 15, 2009.

1. bcboater

bcboater New Member

I’m considering buying a boat within the next year or so. To be honest I’m still somewhat torn between a motor yacht (Westbay, Offshore) and a trawler (Selene, Nordhavn), but that’s an entirely different thread.

For the motor yachts, I have narrowed it down to Westbay and Offshore. I live in Vancouver, BC, and in the past have spent most of my time in the waters between the mainland and Vancouver Island (Gulf islands, Desolation Sound, etc). Most of my trips would be in the 3-7 day range with the occasional 7-14 day trip 2-3 times per year. I prefer to be on the hook (rather than at a dock) during my trips, finding quiet coves and islands to explore.

My choices are:

- a new (or perhaps 1 or 2 year old) Westbay 63 or Offshore 64 Voyager
    - an older (2000-2005) Westbay 72 or Offshore 72 pilothouse

I’m mainly looking for experience/advice with regards to quality of the build, customer service, ease of use, pros and cons to each of this yachts. I’m also open to suggestions of other manufacturers that you might feel builds an even better boat than these two.

Any advice/experience/suggestions from those who know these manufacturers quite well would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Note to admin: Is it okay to post this same thread in the Westbay forums?
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

All good choices. Personally , although new is nice, I always prefer pre-owned. Let someone else work out the new boat bugs and pay the new boat price.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree with this, but keep in mind a new boat, everything is under warranty for the first year usually. Maintanence and docking costs will be quite a bit higher between a 63' and a 73' on an annual basis. But all are good choices, although I think the Nordhaven is above the others and in a league of it's own.......
  4. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

When we were docked in La PAz Mexico, there was a 72Ft Westbay beside us and his comment on the boats abilities coming down the coast were ...All Ok, no major problems, safe ride..boat was about 3 yrs old.
    They have a good reputation here in the PNW as a well built vessel, personally, I think Nordhavens have too much "stuff" in them and are too slow, I like to able to run for safety when the weather turns foul.
  5. bcboater

bcboater New Member

dennismc, that’s the one major reason why Im leaning towards a motor yacht (westbay/offshore) over a trawler (nordhavn/selene)...cruising speed. 20knots vs 8-9knots makes a huge difference. And I don’t think the type of boating ill be doing will require the extra "seaworthiness" that a trawler can offer...although I've never done a long trip so I’m not sure if I would enjoy long voyages or not. As I said earlier, thats an entirely different topic!

Thanks for all the comments so far, keep em coming! Cheers
  6. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

One thread is fine. I'm moving the thread to the General Discussion for now. Later, we may move it under another category, depending on how the content evolves.

Threads like this (boat vs. boat) are often subject to having other builders tossed into the mix. I hope the responses you receive will stay on the subject; Westbay or Offshore.

While attending the OA Roche Harbor Rendezvous two weeks ago, I met a boat captain who owned a small yacht maintenance business. He praised Westbay for consistency throughout their model line, such as the location and access of various systems.
  7. RER

RER Senior Member

Ahh... 1 or 2 year old Westbay? Could be a little tough to find. Are they still with us?
  8. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Yes. I spoke to Wes Vermeulen recently. While the new build biz is a bust, the yard is focusing on service and warranty work.
  9. RER

RER Senior Member

That's good to hear. Unlike a lot of others at least they are hanging on. The 58' Westbay has always been a favorite of mine.
  10. I think both the Offshore and Westbay are well made, but to find a builder that has serviced the product they they build is unusual. They can learn alot about systems and how to improve them as they work on their own products.
  11. sagharborskip

sagharborskip Senior Member

From a hands on, cleaning perspective only, I found the 72' Offshore pilot house to be a very well thought out boat. The layout is terrific for easily getting around the boat and offers lots of space everywhere needed. I was very impressed by the engineering of the engine room and the ease of access to all sides of the engines.

Though I would think this a lot of boat to be run with out one or two crew, I could easily see it happily run by very hands on owners with shore side help for cleaning as it's a lot of boat.

Lots and lots of space for entertaining as well as the flybridge is enormous even with the tender and two scooters (on the boat I looked after for 2 seasons) aboard.
  12. RER

RER Senior Member

I agree. That's a lot of boat if we're talking about owner/operator. Not sure from the prior posts. Even here in SoCal where we are lighter on crew than some places, you would most likely see a captain and deckhand aboard.
  13. current affair

current affair New Member

How many feet overall is a 58' Son Ship?
  14. RER

RER Senior Member

Some Yachtworld listings show LOA as 62'6", 63' & 63'6" so that needs to be verified. Try the Powerboat Guide.
  15. bcboater

bcboater New Member

Don't quote me on this, but from what I remember they are 62'6" for the earlier years (1997-2002 approx) then 2003+ is 63'6". I think they added that little bit of length the same year they started calling them a Westbay 63 and not a Westbay 58. So I guess the 58s would be 62'6" and the 63s are 63'6".
  16. bcboater

bcboater New Member

Correction...

Once they became the Westbay 63, they grew to 65'5" in length...

The 58s however, im still unsure if they are 62'6" or 63'6"
  17. RER

RER Senior Member

According to The PowerBoat Guide hull length is 59'6" including integral swim step. LOA w/pulpit is 63'6"