Click to Save Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for Abeking Click for Mulder

West Marine Superstore Opens In Fort Lauderdale

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by discokachina, Nov 18, 2011.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. discokachina

discokachina Senior Member

This week West Marine opened their first "Superstore" in Fort Lauderdale which at 50,000 square feet is twice as large at their 25,000 square foot "Flagship" store. They plan on carrying over 35,000 items in stock which is about double the number of items found in their Flagship stores. What I saw certainly boggled my mind and put a small dent in my wallet!

wm.JPG

When you first walk into the store the first thing that grabs your attention is the gargantuan flying bridge custom fabricated and installed by 20 people from Hargrave in about 2 weeks.

wm2.JPG

On top of the flying bridge you find a real radar arch with a live thermal imaging camera you can control at one of he displays. The radars are spinning although I did not find their displays among the many that were lit up like Christmas trees all over the place.

wm3.JPG

To the right of the entrance your eye is caught by a large school of game fish swimming overhead!

wm4.JPG

To the left of the main entrance is the Megayacht Supply Department where the anchors and fenders are larger than the sales folks.

wm10.JPG
  2. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Hi D.C.

You forgot to mention where it is.
  3. discokachina

Electronics Galore!

Here are some more pics of the new store. Thankfully I got out with only spending a little over $200 on a new diving mask and snorkle, a pair of Costa Del Mar sunglasses, and a couple of hard to find superyacht magazines! That was pretty hard to do considering all the supercool electronics within the reach of my grubby little hands.

For a minute I thought I was lost in the car stereo department of some big box store. No, in the first picture everything you see is all marine stereo equipment!

All of the equipment in these shots is built in underneath the huge flying bridge.

Attached Files:

• wm7.JPG
      wm7.JPG
      File size:
      91.7 KB
      Views:
    • wm15.JPG
      wm15.JPG
      File size:
      89.4 KB
      Views:
    • wm14.JPG
      wm14.JPG
      File size:
      99.8 KB
      Views:
    • wm16.JPG
      wm16.JPG
      File size:
      101 KB
      Views:
    • wm17.JPG
      wm17.JPG
      File size:
      99.1 KB
      Views:
  4. discokachina

They Have It All!

The electronics display that was getting the most attention was the Boat Drive Simulator that lets you control your dual engine vessel with the steering wheel and dual throttles with an array of navigation equipment to aid you. Each display was synced with the graphic of the boat moving through the water so just like in real life you could navigate your way through in this case New York harbor. Nevertheless I managed to go aground when I first took over the wheel! There was a mirror display with all Garmin equipment on the backside of Raymarine's.

wm5.JPG

After you pick up all the electronic gadgets you need to safely get you to your favorite fishing grounds you will need some tackle to catch that really big one. So I asked the bait girl behind the counter to show me her biggest and her best. With a reel like this how can you possibly go wrong?

wm8.JPG

And then of course you are going to need a rod to go with that big reel. You will have no trouble finding just the right one among those on display. And if you don't see what you like here there is another gondola of rods on the other side of the reel hut.

wm9.JPG

While you are taking care of business catching all those big wahoo if you need to take care of another kind of business while out to sea just take a look at all the thrones you have to choose from here.

wm12.JPG

And if you can't find what you are looking for in the first row move on to the second row of johns on display where the really fancy ones come with their own TV.

You won't need no stinkin magazines on this boat!

wm11.JPG
  5. discokachina

In The Venice of America

Sorry, 2401 S. Andrews Avenue, or on the SW corner of the intersection of State Road 84, aka Marina Mile, and South Andrews Avenue, just South of downtown Fort Lauderdale, Florida, the Venice of America.
  6. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

West Mar

Just about next door is Sailorman...compare prices if possible and save a bundle...lots of used stuff also but way smaller in size...
  7. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

"So I asked the bait girl behind the counter to show me her biggest and her best."

And all you're gonna show us is a picture of a lousy fishing reel?
  8. travler

travler Senior Member

marmot

i am with you the old guys need some eye candy

travler
  9. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I wonder how much this advertising um I mean, oh well.... Is this a paid for thread?
  10. discokachina

Nah, just an old retired guy who has no boat having fun with his camera!

If there's no boat show to go to the grand opening of a boat toy Superstore is the next best thing. :)
  11. discokachina

Sorry, she turned me down.
  12. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

West Mar

Always nice to see a business "expand" instead of contract, whether they paid for the ad or not, after all, maybe a few more people employed, one can hope.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I haven't lived there in awhile and I don't get there often these days, but when I do it usually includes a trip to WM. I'm really glad to get the info. DK if they paid for the ad, but they should pay you for it.;) Well done. Entertaining as usual.
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'm sure more than a few people are employed. The problem with West Marine's employment is that the only workers that are full time with benefits are the managers. All of the other employees are part time and recieve no benefits.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

A lot of companies are doing that. At least they're making jobs for a couple of managers and giving local kids a place to earn a few bucks and learn about boating. Who knows, maybe that will change as the economy improves.
  16. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

What did you buy for your non boat that put a small dent in your wallet?
  17. discokachina

18. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

Thanks Disco
    I can always appreciate your real time reports and happenings in FT L when I am unable to see for myself at the moment
  19. SacreBleu

SacreBleu New Member

Big is not always better

We went out of our way to visit the West Marine Flagship store in Fort Lauderdale last week. We were very disappointed.

The staff... although trying to help... are severely lacking in experience and knowledge. We expected at least the same high level of expertise that we have come to expect from WM... but did not find it here. We brought a damaged LEWMAR part to replace and were given incorrect advice that caused us to cut apart a perfectly good component. When we asked for a lubricant for another part... We were advised that most of their customers just replace the part. Strike II.

We also assumed that the largest WS store on the planet would have hard to find parts... And found only lots of big ticket items and LOTS of clothing. Some of the clothing was even related to boating. Strike III.

Boaters have many options where we can spend our money. I am generally willing to pay the higher prices at WM because it comes with service and expertise. This is not yet the case at this location. Growing pains? I hope so.
  20. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member