Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko

Water tank location on 1999 Ocean 48 SS

Discussion in 'Ocean Yacht' started by Dv101, Jul 9, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Dv101

Dv101 New Member

I have a leak in the freah water system on my Ocean Yacht 48 SS. It looses approx. 40 gallons in 24 hours whether the pump is on or off. I am assuming the tank has a leak.
    Does anyone know where the fresh water tank is located? It is not visible anywhere.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Not very far from the fill hose. Should be centerline and within a few feet fore and aft of where the deck fill is. A 63' I managed had it in the cockpit, smaller ones are usually near the bow. Could be under forward bed.
  3. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

On my Ocean 44, it is located on the centerline, under the forward engine bulkhead. From the ER you can see the fill hose and gauge. It is plastic and located in front of the battery box.
  4. Dv101

Dv101 New Member

Fred,
    Thanks for your reply! The fill is located at the cockpit sink. I cannot locate the tank anywhere near the fill. The holding tank is under the forward bed. You may be right in assuming it is under the sole near the bow? What do you think?
    Denny
  5. Capt Fred

Capt Fred Senior Member

My fill is in the cockpit at the sink, my holding tank is under the sole just forward of the steps going down to the hall way that leads to the berths. I have two access hatches cut into the carpet that I can lift and gain access the the holding tank, forward bilge and pumps. My vacuflush accumulators are located under the fwd berth. I agree with you, look in that area for the tank
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The tank is not going to be very far from the fill. Follow the fill hose. It will be only a few feet from there. Ocean is not going to run a hose for 40' to the bow from the cockpit for the water fill, they would have simply put the fill on the bow. It is in the stern, most likely under the cockpit floor and most likely fiberglass like it was on the 63' ocean I maintained for decades built at the same time.
  7. Dv101

Dv101 New Member

I would tend to agree with you, but there is no tank under the cockpit sole. I guess I will have to tear out the carpet in the master BR and see if there is a hatch. If there is no hatch I guess I will have to cut a hole in the sole to inspect?
  8. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

9. Dv101

Dv101 New Member

I found it. It is forward near center beam. Impossible to pull with out removing carpet, flooring, walls, and doors. Crazy place to put a tank. I wonder if Fix A Leak would work?
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Then it's in the engine room. The 63 Oceans was fiberglass and looked like part of the boat. Follow the hose that goes to the freshwater pump to the tank. Usually the freshwater pump is very close to the tank. I wouldn't be drilling holes in ANYTHING.
  11. d_meister

d_meister Senior Member

What is it made of?
  12. ESSRTEE8

ESSRTEE8 Member

Yes, that's where they put it.
  13. JeffH

JeffH Member

Glad you found it! On my 83 46' SS the water tank is located under the twin berth in the guest room closest to centerline. It would be very difficult to remove, but it appears to be made of some type of plastic.
  14. Prospective

Prospective Senior Member

glad you found it. Mine is located forward of the engine bulkhead on center line. It's close the the FW pump but prob 12-15 feet from the fill in the cockpit sink. A small square of it can be accessed via the pump room under the dinette in the saloon. If I ever had to replace it I have no idea how much crap I would have to cut to remove it. Ocean definitely didn't place tankage with any consideration for future access. I had a leak in my holding tank and had to rip apart my entire master stateroom to gain access to it. Master stateroom birth was screwed and 5200'd down and all screw holes filled with putty in an attempt to insure it was NEVER removed. I then installed a teak and holly floor with an access panel for future access if needed. But total nightmare.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Probably not, but they do make some 2 part epoxy pastes that work fairly well on those tanks. Another option if you can get to the top of it and most of the top is to zip off the top with a cutoff wheel and make an entire fiberglass tank (using the sides and bottom of the plastic tank as a mold and leaving them on the outside of the fiberglass tank you just made. Or zip the top off and put a bladder tank but these usually aren't a great or super long term solution either.