Click for Nordhavn Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Perko

WATCH YOUR WAKE

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by Rodger, Sep 9, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Rodger

Rodger Senior Member

USS Milwaukee damages more than 40 boats over Labor Day weekend

9/9 - Sturgeon Bay, Wis. – The U.S. Coast Guard and Department of Natural Resources are investigating a Labor Day weekend incident in Door County’s Chambers Island that damaged more than 40 boats.

Witnesses said on Saturday at least 100 boats were docked near the Northern Cove of Chambers Island when a large naval ship from Marinette Marine did a test run, creating waves that were higher than five feet tall.

The Coast Guard confirmed that the ship was the USS Milwaukee, a 378-foot-long Freedom-Class Littoral Combat Ship (LCS).

When it passed, videos show people struggling to keep their boats from tipping. One boater told the local news that his anchor lines snapped from being tossed up and around, bouncing on the surge. Many boat tie-ups (several boats roped together) collided with one another, causing scratching, damage and flooding.

One boater said the worst thing “was the fear that came with it”—families with young kids rushing them to shore, and at least four Mayday radio calls. A woman badly injured her knee while trying to help control the boat, and later went to the Oconto Hospital and Medical Center. Door County EMS said they did not transport anyone to the emergency room.

Marinette Marine responded to request for comment saying they are aware of the incident. “Of course, our first and foremost priority is the safety and wellbeing of the boaters and bystanders and we are fully cooperating with authorities investigating the incident,” said Bethany Skorik of Marinette Marine.

The US Coast Guard and DNR have started a joint investigation. Chris Groth of the DNR explained that his department is responsible for recreational boaters, and the Coast Guard is responsible all commercial vessels.

One of the boaters told us there were at least 40 incident reports filed with the DNR when he went to file a report himself. He said Marinette Marine indicated they will work with insurance companies, adding it’s “unlikely” any of these boaters will end up paying out-of-pocket for the damage to their boats.

BAY Video slow loading. http://wbay.com/2015/09/08/naval-ship-damages-more-than-40-boats-over-labor-day-weekend/
  2. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

While there is emphasis on Marinette Marine, as there should be since they were the ones doing it, I would hope also the Navy has been put on notice since it's their boat.
  3. RER

RER Senior Member

Common sense seems to be in short supply these days.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

On who's part?

Ships and boats are responsible for their wake. No Question.

Owners are responsible for proper security, founding of their ships
    and where they place their body parts. A knee injury while fending off a boat?
    Parted anchor lines? Poor rafting?

Racing children to the shore or out of the water.? The kids were safer in the boats and not exposed to the water & waves. If in the water, all should of got out.

I'm not blaming on the people on the shore just dumping on them some. Yes, the Navy contractor will pay for everything.

And Yes, I'll get a chewing for my thoughts, again..
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Ralph, Those folks might have rafted there for years and never had a big displacement vessel rip past them, the wave most likely took them by surprise and in those situations folks first thought are not always the best ones especially when not as familiar with the water as somone who lives on it year round.
  6. RER

RER Senior Member

rc have you seen video of this? I would doubt it based on your post.
  7. ScotL

ScotL Senior Member

That is a very popular area for those boaters. I have even been up there a couple times. Many of these people only see each other when they go to Chambers Island. Many from Green Bay go up there to get away.

As kiwi said, many of these folks raft up together nearly every weekend. We have an area down near Green Bay called Longtail point. Same situation.

I imagine a fair amount of damage was created by the boats bottoming out. It is sand, but still can do damage.

As far as parted anchor lines, many recreational boater in this area do not replace them until they break. That may be due to our short boating season.

This is not something these boaters have experienced prior to this event. Most have nowhere near the experience of many on this board saying what they should have done.

This is not the first LCS to come out of there. Why did this one cause such an issue and not the others?
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Great thoughts and probably rite on.
    The term I'm thinking of is Complacently. It's never happened before, SO, something will never happen.
    Never thought about staying away from my boat should a wave rock it. Never thought about real fenders while rafting.

Went back and looked at it again. I have heavier string for my kite than some of the rode I saw in the video. 2, 3, maybe a 4 footer? Good grief.

Notice the boats anchored just a bit more offshore didn't have any problems (not bobbing like fish corks). Just a few feet deeper and no waves.
    That energy came up the shallow and made some nice little waves quickly.

Yea, I knew I was going to get a chewing.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Nobody on the beach when previous LCSs came by?
    Nobody on the beach when previous Hatteras's came by?
    Nobody on the beach when previous TugBoats came by?
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

In the video I saw a 3' wave come into an area, not designated an anchorage and completely open to the sea. Although not mentioned, I suspect the navy vessel was considerably well off shore, because it throws a lot bigger wake than what I saw in the video. The boats properly anchored seemed to ride it out just fine. Boats rock and if you raft them they bang, unless you adequately fender them. Of course though in this climate of never accepting responsibility for your own actions, and given that a government ship and a commercial enterprise (deep pockets) are involved, I'm sure the lawyers will keep themselves busy.

I used to anchor out regularly in a similar area (large vessels came by at cruise speed and the strong current built up their wakes), and it amazed me when boats would pull in and anchor like they were planing to shoot a Grey Poupon commercial with me. Whatever happened to leaving enough room for your boat to swing without contacting another vessel? Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Wonder who they'd sue if a squall came through? It'd bring the same result.
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Sorry, not true, elsewhere in the world and I would imagine it is the same in the US until the boat is accepted after performance trials and is commissioned, the yard is responsible and considered the owner. The yard places the crew onboard. There might be Navy observers onboard but they do not run the vessel or have any authority over its operation.

I know this because I have a colleague who is hired as chief engineer by a civilian yard doing refit work on military vessels. Since they are not military vessels until they are accepted by the military after build or civilian yard refit the crew must be civilians with the proper licenses.

Its the same with a new mega yacht. The crew can be onboard observing but are not involved in the operation or anything to do with the manning of her till the delivery papers are signed.
  12. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I was not thinking of the boat as a new build. If it was then you are correct if title hadn't passed. I was thinking of it as an existing build having work done on it or being rebuilt where ownership was already in the hands of the Navy.
  13. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The one thing missing from this story is the USS Milwaukee's AIS track. Did it pass within 100' of these boats or was it in a No Wake Zone (where they'd be expected to know the result) or was it 3 miles away (where they wouldn't have a clue)? Wakes travel. That's why marinas and anchorages on open waters build breakwaters. If you want to be protected you anchor in a protected area.

I have a feeling that this situation is a far cry from the Sea Doo For Dad story a few years ago, and would love to see the AIS track if anyone can pull it up.