Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn

Washer and dryer

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by Posterboy91, Nov 7, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Posterboy91

Posterboy91 New Member

Hey everyone I have to now replace my washer and dryer onboard since both have crapped out. Does anyone have any suggestions on units they like and also how to get these things out and in with out tearing up the boat
  2. Davidoc

Davidoc Senior Member

What year and length is your Post?
  3. Posterboy91

Posterboy91 New Member

1985 46
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Whirlpool front loaders
  5. Postman77

Postman77 New Member

Does whirlpool make all in one units didn't see any on the website? I have a 46 and looking to add a combo unit the old owner removed it and have not had any luck finding the right size or a quality machine yet. Any help or suggestions from anyone would be great. Thanks
  6. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

While I don't recommend all in one, if going for one, I might recommend you consider LG.

Still I'd check the space and see if you have space to stack a washer and dryer or if you can create space to do so.
  7. Postman77

Postman77 New Member

Ok thanks I will look at the lg cause I doubt I can get two separate units in the hole and still keep it accessible for the wife. We are planning to be full time live aboards next year so this is starting to take precedence over doing laundry in the marina.
  8. olderboater

With a front load washer it should be accessible. If not, a small kitchen stool would make it so. Separate units would be far more efficient. Also, don't go ventless on the dryer part, make sure you vent the dryer.
  9. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

LG and Splendid (mostly seen on yachts) make all in ones.

This is a very bad idea. If you have 2 all in ones in dry mode, you will probably use ALL of the shorepower you have coming in. Also the all in ones are crap, they take 4 hours to do one VERY small load of laundry. Go with separate front loading washer and dryer. You can do 3 full size loads start to finish in front loaders in the time it takes to do 1 small load in an all in one. Most front loaders can be stacked with a $30 stacking kit)
  10. Postman77

Postman77 New Member

I agree with your post but where do you put two in a 46 post?
    The boat had the original all in one under the deck accessed through second stateroom door. Has anyone had success putting two machines down there and if so how did you set it up?
  11. porthole

porthole Member

Saying all the "all in ones" are crap is a bit over the top, no?

To the OP, I did not have a washer or dryer in my 42, but I have been using a Splendide combo (vented) since June 2009 in my RV. We average 10-15 weeks a year and probably used the machine 2-4 times a week.
    We did not have room for separates and the combo is a great compromise. I would not hesitate to install one in the future if we do not have room for the separates.
    Granted you are not going to wash the same amount of clothes at one time you wash at home, but we have never used a campground Laundromat facility either.

Vented machines are much better for drying then the ventless versions.
    A typical complaint with combos (mostly from non-users) is the drying time. The combos are 110 volt. With separates the dryers can be had in 240.
    Since we are always at the RV and on vacation the drying time is really a mute point

There are couple of tricks to get the best out of them too.
  12. porthole

porthole Member

As to the actual time, I've never bothered timing a load of wash.
    With separates you wash and dry separately and while the 1st load is drying and you can start a 2nd load of wash. That is the big advantage.
    Obviously with a combo you do one load at a time.
  13. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

This interests me too.
    I am trying to figure out where to put a washer/dryer set or individual units as well.
    Originally the boat had a dryer on the back deck in a console. It was gone before I bought the
    boat but I saw what was left of it before buying.
    I don't really want this.

I have a 46, galley down with a closet forward of the galley, before you enter the forward state room. very limited space but I'd like to stuff something into that space.

You say 10-15 weeks ( weekends ? or weeks at a time ? )
    Weekends verses live aboard are pretty different scenarios.
  14. porthole

porthole Member

My 42 had a dryer in that compartment on the back deck as well at one time.

Not weekend warriors here, but also not full time (yet)
    During the camping season April to November, typical camp excursions for us range from 5-10 days (typical) 1-2 times a month and a long trip every year that runs the last week of August through the first week of October (5-6 weeks)
  15. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

Many builders used the Splendid non-vented units which gave them a pretty bad reputation for huge drying times, the vented models are much faster.
  16. porthole

porthole Member

I'm sure the same is true in the RV industry.
  17. lobo

lobo Senior Member

We had a Miele Combo on the last boat, due to limit space, and were very happy with it, living on board for 2 years with a family of 4. The new boat will have Miele again, but now 2 separate units, with more space available .
  18. olderboater

The Splendide vented version has an overall good reputation. They non-vented version not so much. However, if I was going to an all-in-one, I would consider a brand like LG which is faster in doing a load than Splendide. Miele did have an all-in-one, but dropped it.
  19. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The vented models take 4-4.5 hours for a load of 4 XL t-shirts and they're still somewhat damp at the end of 4.5 hours from what I've found with the Splendides.....
  20. porthole

porthole Member

This is personal expeierence with a Splendide combo you own and know to be in good working order?

I can say that our vented Splendide combo absolutely does not take 4 hours to do 4 t-shirts.

4 t-shirts in mine and I would set the timer for 40 minutes (the choices are in 20 minute increments).

Whenever I take a shower I throw my towel in for 20 minutes and it is dry.