Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights

Warning to fellow mariners

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by reelchaos, Nov 16, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Well, definitely not a non-issue to me. Had it been 20 years, perhaps. I find it disturbing as I assume Leeky did since he posted it. Now, I'm also sure the OP didn't know and irrelevant to the issue of quality of work and the OP was only speaking of quality of work, not character, ethics or integrity.
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I've found that integrity and character are a big factor in the quality of work in some situations.
  3. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

I doubt the OP's complaint was about being branded for scamming the government, but it would be for me. Have known of several front companies set up for government contracting and set aside contracts as a minority contractor. Contracts are set aside for these companies without bidding and contracts are even awarded when not low bidder. NFS was caught falsely setting up a front as a disabled veteran business owner. For that reason I would not be doing business with North Florida Shipyard.
    https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/nort...ay-1-million-resolve-false-claims-allegations
  4. olderboater

It should be noted that the whistle blowers (who received $180k for doing so) were formerly their General Manager of the Mayport Facility and VP of Operations of the Corporation. They were both also Navy Veterans.
  5. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Good men, they deserved compensation. There used to be a lot of that type fraudulent activity in government contracting. Have been away from that business for a long time and have not kept up with it. Not a good way to conduct business for the taxpayers. My company over the years lost some large contracts because of not being minority owned, not because of the disabled veterans program.
  6. leeky

leeky Senior Member

Thanks for clearing that up about dumping on me. I didn't know whether you were or not, so, I took the easy way out and lateraled to olderboater.:D

I suspect that you are correct that the OP didn't know about the legal issue; I discovered it accidentally while looking for reviews on North Florida Shipyards' work. It wouldn't be an issue to me, either, if North Florida Shipyards had gotten rid of the people who concocted this scheme. According to an organizational chart on North Florida Shipyards' website, the guy who helped to create this fraud is still the president of the yard. So, his mentality is still running the show there; could this have anything to do with the OP's gripe? My Magic 8-Ball keeps telling me to "ask again later." ;)
  7. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I like the fact that like me, people actually take the time to write about good people in good yards for the simple fact that they were happy with the job and were obviously fairly treated. Hats off to you guys.
    Now, the guys who come on here & on their first (or so) post, blast someone for something. There are two sides to most stories so I take these stories like I do Facebook news.
    I do like the fact that he didn't say much at first and actually asked if it was ok. Good for you! I say give him a little break for that!
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

He was welcomed by the boss and asked to include details and not just blow hot air.
    Then he blew hot air back at the thread without any details over his gripe.
    The thread had discovered some very old news about the yard but I think we agreed it had nothing to do with the OPs gripes.
    The thread did speculate a lil over the OP reading his other postings.

I think the break has long been open and would still like to hear about the real gripe.
  9. olderboater

Case A-New forum member with limited and sketchy posting history shows up to rant about a yard including serious attacks but no details at all. Member is unknown to us.

Case B-Long time forum member, with an extensive history of posting including many very positive and complimentary posts, rants about one specific incident with a yard with facts given including the yard's responses. Member is respected member of boating profession.

Both are just one side of the story, but one has credibility and the other has none.