Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Perko Click for Furuno Click for Comfort

WALLY 58x38 Meter

Discussion in 'Wally Yacht' started by orion, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Jabor

Jabor Member

Hey Sagharborskip

I understand what you mean about companies getting together and designing stuff that have nothing to with their business. But it's a different case regarding Porsche Design, their studio is totally separate from the car design studio, and it's full of product designers.

It's not the first time that Hermés has been putting their expertise to practice in other areas. Remember when they did the "Bugatti Veyron par Hermes"? In that case they took care of doing the interior uphosltery and color&trim, which I think it's interesting. We've already seen that happenning between Lamborghini and Versace too...

As for the WHY, I applaud it's freshness in design, but even though it does look elegant, it's shape and size make it look a bit clumsy, I think. Maybe all we need is some getting used to it...
  2. Leveller

Leveller Senior Member

I can not resist - it lookes like a sitting frog.

But I have to agree with Kevin. Anyone who had radical new ideas in the past took us where we are today. Think about the inverted bows of "A" and Predator - the Dyna Rigg on Maltese Falcon - SWATH vessel Silver Cloud and many more.

Quark...
  3. PropBet

PropBet Senior Member

I like it.
    Not 'like it' in that I'd want it, but I like that they are pushing the limits of design and imagination of the status quo for design, use, etc.

How she would behave on the open seas, especially rollie, is a whole different conversation.

As far as design, and pushing the limits, I think it's pretty wild.
  4. brunick

brunick Senior Member

the open seas, i think this wouldn't be great to be on, but image that one in the carribean, with superb weather all around, the biggest party's will be thrown on that ship,
    i guess dockwise has to refit their ships for this one, as i guess this one will not cross the atlantic :D
  5. paolo_ita

paolo_ita New Member

This type of vessel work on open seas since May 1995 like seismic vessel, so..these vessels are ultra-stable.
    The first Ramform vessel was a surveillance ship designed for the Norwegian navy.
    Thanks to the delta-shaped hull form, the vessel is more fuel efficient at speeds of about 15 knots than similar specification conventional vessels.
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Here is a bit about what a Ram Form Ship actually is and does for those who are interested.

http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/ramform/
  7. dskira

dskira Guest

From the marketing staff of Wally:

Are they taking people for total imbecils?
    The marketing of Wally is how to reinvent the wheel, and make people believe that the wheel never existed before they invented it. :rolleyes:
    It was done, redone, and abondonned.
    As for Hermes, keep doing bags, don't bother with boat.
    Perhaps one day the IRS will start a perfume line, the Nasa a line of underware, and the Navy will launch a line of skin lotion. :D
    Pathetic.
    Cheers
    Daniel
  8. Emerson

Emerson New Member

If you believe them it can cross the Atlantic four times before you have to come into a port to resupply. It is supposed to have one of those kite sails as well as a very large fuel tank, it is a trideck (albeit three rather tall decks) yacht that draws water to the tune of 3.5 meters.
  9. Splash

Splash New Member

When I first saw the WHY I thought cool, another awesome new modern Wally. I like different and modern. But I also like the ocean and I like to see it, which is what I thought the point was. If you really look at the WHY, to me it looks as if there's a whole lot of space that has crudy views, if great light.

A whole bunch of wasted space too, like the interesting looking staircase. I could think of a whole lot of things to go there other than a nifty staircase. If you look at the 3rd picture on Common Space you can see a wall of windows that lines a 'walkway'. More waste. You can see the same area on the 2nd in Guest Space, which is where I noticed it first.

So why don't we swap out the stairs for something cool like a solarium with a glass elevator, or a glass bottom pool on the second floor, or a bi-level disco? A hanger for your helicopter? A garage for your Veyron fleet? Anyway, better use of space, please.
  10. ludyhedberg

ludyhedberg New Member

Why

Its interesting that it now seems like it is no longer called ¨Wally Hermes Yacht¨, but ¨Wally Hybrid Yacht¨....