Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko Click for MotorCheck Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder

Walker Bay Generation RIBs

Discussion in 'Tenders & Dinghies' started by Pascal, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It s holding up very and we use it a lot! We Spend a lot of time in the Exumas (mostly anchored). Lots of watersports too.

So far only issues have been

-Battery switch failing (needs to be wiggled)
    -Stiff steering especially against motor torque. I ve just order an hynautic kit, something WB should have done from the start, ( they use it now)
    -flimsy anchor/stern light pole failed, instead i added a proper sternlight on the motor cowling
    -Honda multi function gauge already looks like crap, a Honda issue not WB
    -built in swim ladder is useless, added a removable dive ladder.

No regret, great tender
  2. praetorian47

praetorian47 Senior Member

I agree with the swim ladder, but mine were both removed to make room for the jack plate. I remember the steering issue but was solved when we changed to hydraulic steering for the jack plate.

I rarely use the stern light. I installed light on the top of the Yamaha. Not super legal, but it works and is easier to use. We have Yamaha gauges and they hold up.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The Yamaha wasn't in stock and was a 4 weeks wait and $1000 more. Figured the Honda 75 would be fine and it is. Except for the plastic gauge
  4. praetorian47

praetorian47 Senior Member

The Yamaha is good, but their gauges were very expensive and I need 2 to get everything. The fuel gauge on the boat was terrible, so I use the fuel flow in the Yamaha gauge
  5. Minnow

Minnow New Member

Thanks Pascal,

We are looking at the 17'. Like it a lot, lots of creature comforts, good ergonomics at helm and otherwise.

Glad to hear the quality is on par as well.

6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'm guessing it's a Blue Sea battery switch. Blue Sea has had a ton of battery switches that failed and the copper inside of it literally falls apart in 50 pieces. I'd swap it out asap.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Yep, thats the plan...
  8. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Quick observation Pascal,....seems as though there is about 1/3 of that Walker Bay 450's length is NOT usable passenger space (behind the driver)??

And I still see almost none of the RIBs using some sort of D-shaped tubes. This would really open up the interior space. Here are a few sketches I drew up long ago,...
    Tenders stored on foredeck

Just take that 'weird bottom' I included off, and replace it with a V

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The space behind the drivers bench isnt 1/3 of the boat, it s only a foot when the motor is tilted up and the sosce is all storage included a cooler on each side of the motor well. Very well done.

A few days ago i upgraded the steering to Hynautic. Cable steering was my biggest gripe about that Walker bay which was way too hard with too much steering torque. Apparently WB realized this and has ditchd cable steering

The problem is that when they assembled the helm, they used the cheap steel bolts provided by teleflex, without grease. The steeering wheel was assembled dry and solidly rusted on the shaft... took a lot of cutting...

Another issue that popped up is that they used cheap steel gas lifts which are done after just over a year