Click for Walker Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Furuno

Volvo D12-715 operating temperatures

Discussion in 'Marquis Yacht' started by Welddo, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Welddo

Welddo New Member

We just sea did our sea trial yesterday temps on both motors were about 188-190 at 2100 Rpms . I think that is to high , sea water was about 70 degrees .my Volvo 480 tam74 on our present boat run 172-174. Does anybody know what their motors run at . May need impellers, motors only have 95 hours on 2008 boat .
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Did you shoot them with an I R temp gun or just read the dash gages? 190 may be a schoch high but an I R reading on the H E could tell the correct story.

What did the Mechanical Surveyor say about the temp readings?
  3. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

That is just about spot on ... 2100 is probably maximum power, correct? Both engines were the same temp and if they remained at that temp over a half hour or so then life is good in that department at least. There are many other departments.
  4. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

2100 looks to be cruise, they're 2300rpm engines according to the specs. I agree 190F at that engine speed seems pretty normal to me. The newer engines are tuned to run at hotter and hotter temps as the years have gone on.
  5. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

I hope they ran them up to full power for the sea trials ...
  6. Welddo

Welddo New Member

203 is max high temp so 190-192 is too high I'm going to have them put in new impellers And sea trial once more . I had the dealer clear the strainer for gen set of bottom paint . I never though to look at engine strainers . If impellers don't do the trick that's my next step
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

190F is too high according to WHO? The thermostat full opens at 187F according to Volvo's website. The temps are fine and where I would expect them to be at 2100rpms as long as they hold there. Changing impellors is recommended every 2 years and a good thing to do, but you're fine temperature wise......
  8. Welddo

Welddo New Member

i couldn't find anything about 187 deg on website .what web site is that on ? thank you bye the way
  9. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

What most people do is read the spec sheet for the engine ... it tells you what the temps and pressures are supposed to be.

You will find that engine is running at the correct temperature. Stop f***ing with it before you screw something up and have to pay someone who knows what they are doing to fix it.
    Capt Ralph likes this.