Click for Northern Lights Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay

Vintage Viking Fan Club!

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by PaulVato, Jun 2, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Welcome

When your coming down Lake Huron you'll find that the State created refuge harbors every 20 miles or so. They are all nice small towns so if you get weathered in it's not so bad. When we run Huron we leave in the morning and stop based on weather and mood. Makes running the lake pleasant provided the lake is not acting up. If you are familiar with Lake Michigan you know the results if the wind picks up. Lexington is the southern most port on the lake before hitting the St.Clair River. From the mouth to lake St. Clair is about 2 hrs, from there to Lake Erie another 2-3 hours

Use caution when running the western basin of Lake Erie as the water can get extremely nasty for your boat. Once you get in the range of West Sister Is. you must also watch for fishing nets.

If you need docking info in my area let me know.
    We have some great docking facilities here in Windsor if needed as well.

Hope this helps.

Mark
  2. Rip

Rip New Member

Thank you, Mark.
  3. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

1989 55' Viking Motoryacht

Count me in; purchased 1989 55' Viking Motoryacht this spring. Loveing it!
  4. 14freedom

14freedom New Member

My "NEW" 43' DC

Hey All,

Count me in...just closed on a 1980 43' DC, completely updated and IMMACULATE. Moving on board in Savannah with my wife and mutt. Stay there a few months getting familiar, then to the Chesapeake for summer. Eventually, hope to do the loop.

Dan & Patty-Anne, along with Jingles.

Attached Files:

5. Robertoman

Robertoman Member

Hello Guys

I have a classic Viking 35 (1979) out here on the West Coast. This boat has been in the family since it it was 5 years old, mom couldn't deal with the diesel smell so it has the gas motors. Original 350 Crusader big blocks, with, (you can believe it or not) 3500+ hours, still runs perfectly, troll all day at 7 or 8 knots, head home at 20 or so, it works. Treat them right and they will last a long time. No doubt, this is a solid well engineered boat.
    Anyway, it has been very informative here at Yacht Forums and I have found this site to be the most interesting that I have discovered to date. Nice meeting you all and spring will be here soon!
    Robertoman
  6. sobus66

sobus66 Guest

I bought a F32 trojan a couple of years ago but saw a viking at the dealer. Fell in love at that moment. Took pics and showed the viking more than my boat. Well 2 years ago, I bought a 40' viking, '79. It needs some work, but I not only love being out on the boat but working to get it back to original. Will be in the middle river area this summer doing a lot of playing and fishing.
  7. 14freedom

14freedom New Member

Hey All,
    I'm heading for Savannah and the boat this weekend, my wife and mutt following in a few weeks. Can't wait to be living onboard, getting to know my new girl...
    All you Jersey guys, we lived in Tuckerton Beach for a while, across the bay from LBI. Great fun on the water...had a little 22' CC and provided us with the most enjoyment.
    Now that the days are longer, it's all good. With a little leg work we can get the Vintage Viking Club up and running, perhaps a rendezvous at some point?
    ATB-
    Dan
  8. VntViking

VntViking New Member

Viking Rendezvous

I think a rendzvous is a great idea! And since New Jersey is home to Viking Yachts maybe it should be here. We have four Vikings in our marina (plenty more in the area) and we are right on the ICW, opposite Barnegat Inlet. As a matter of fact, my marina hosts a junket/rendevous to Atlantic City each year and a great time is had by all. Maybe that could make a good destination.

Dan,Patty-Ann; we're not far from Tuckerton so stop & see us if you make it up this way. BTW We take Sunday cruises down to Tuckerton to go to the Stewart's Root Beer stand on Rt9. The only hamburger joint I've ever seen that has roller-skating car-hops AND boat-hops! They have 6 slips on the lagoon right behind the restaurant.
  9. 14freedom

14freedom New Member

VntViking,
    Well aware of Stewart's, we use to do a little cruise up the creek a couple of times a week. Also, some interesting things at the Seaport. Must be a b***h to cross that bar at the creek entrance at anything but high tide. My 22' had a few bumps, even in tilt mode!
    I don't think we'll get up to Jersey this year but will keep you in mind.
    If I get some time in the next few months, I may try to start organizing this venture. Did you all know Viking Yachts has an owners profile page? If everyone that has one registers, it may be easier to get it done.
    ATB-
    Dan, Patty-Anne & Jingles
  10. agenttiki

agenttiki New Member

me too!

i'm an old Bay boy; grew up in small marina on LBI and can't count the times i've been around the Bass River works, as well as Carl Adams and others. moved to Michigan about 10 years ago and had to sell my 37' Egg convertible and my 27' Century Raven, woodies of course! now have a 32' Uniflite SS on the Detroit river. its a great boat but not big enough. i bought it because it had just received about 15K in new rebuilt powertrains and the boat was in really good condition. couldn't pass it up!
    currently chasing down a '67 Viking 'Sportfisherman'(?)..(i'd call it a convertible/sedan but what do i know! LOL.)
    anyway, the ad says this has a 14' beam. is that correct for this boat? its another woodie and my 'admiral' thinks i'm crazy for thinking of going back to wood but i'm of the opinion that if the structure is solid then its fine to buy.
    anyone have ideas of where i should look for issues with this design?

i like the lines of the boat and have been searching unsuccessfully for stock interior/layout photos
  11. agenttiki

agenttiki New Member

YEAH! the Stewart's! used to hhit that place on Friday nights in high school...and then on to the parties at Seven Bridges!
  12. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

´89 55´ Viking Motoryacht

I have a question concerning my ´89 55´ Viking Motoryacht.On the rudder shaft the packing in the packing gland appears to be a solid ring instead of a wrap like on the prop shafts. Is this right? and if so, can I cut it off and replace with wrap, or do I have to get replacement solid rings [and would this require blocking the rudder from below the hull and a removal of all support of the shaft to slip the rings on?]?

Thanks,

Bill
    Nashville, TN
  13. jserb

jserb New Member

New Owner 41' Viking

Hey~! Can i join the club? i just bought a 1985 41' Sport Fish! - not sure what the difference is between sport fish and convertable - still waiting for someone to explain that to me. But looking forward to talking to other Viking owners!
  14. Tashmoo1

Tashmoo1 New Member

Vintage Viking Club

Count me in! We recently purchased a 1985 35' Express with Cats and a tower. So far very happy with the boat. We'd love to learn more and be able to link up with other Viking owners. Lets make this happen.
  15. PierPressure40

PierPressure40 New Member

Count me in also!! 1974 40' Viking SF

I know this is an old thread, but i'd be interested in chatting it up with other Viking owers with older boats and even the newer Vikings. I recently bought a 1974 40' Viking SF/convertible off of the orginal owner, who bought the boat at the NYC boat show in 1974. The boat spent half of its life in the NorthEast, and was moved to FL on a hauler (flybridge taken off). He lives down the street from me in Palm City FL and as of 6months ago I purchased it off of him. He repowered it 2yrs ago from the orginal 454's to the new 8.1 Crusaders MPI's and I ill say what a difference in performance and fuel burn. Fortunately for me he didn't use it much due to purchasing a new boat, so the engines and new Hurth transmission only have 20hrs on them. The boat now cruises at 22knts with a burn rate of 24gph at crusie and tops out at 34knts. It also put a fairly new 10kw generator in as well. I will say besides the generator/engines/ and transmission it is pretty much all orginal. It even has the lime green interior(which is covered by covers). The only mod he made was to take out the lower helm when he bought it, and they gave him the orginal parts that came with the non lower helm ones. He also took out the fridge and put in an icebox/refrigerator unit which is probably the best mod since It stays cold for a week here in the hot FL weather with out needing to power it and off. It definitely freed up much needed counter space and made it easy to put in a microwave above to blend in with the upper cabinets.

I do need to give it a good buff/wax job and some minor cleaning on the inside to fabrics but it is in tip top shape. Going in for bottom job next week and I will be adding some fancy Ocean LED's to the stern to give it that modern fancy look..haha Eventually add or change out some of the old lighting to more current less draw LED's but hesitant because everything functions and looks mint. OH AND YES THAT IS A 2500LB LIFT ON THE BACK OF THE BOAT. HE USE TO HAVE A 14FT SKI BOAT WITH A 115HP MOTOR MOUNTED ON THE BACK.

If anybody has some older vikings, i'd love to hear about them and like to get a group together. Im going to try adding some pictures, but this is my first time actually chiming in on a boat forum.

Attached Files:

16. PierPressure40

Glad to hear you are happy with the new Viking too. I am from Massachusetts and miss boating in New England very much. Believe it or not, I like the boating up there, then in FL. Only plus side is the blue water here in FL. We kept our other boats in the Mystic river in Medford, Chelsea and in the Merrimac in Amesbury. My friends keep there boat at Winthrop Yacht club. So fortunately I still get to do some boating in New England and may do a long trip some day up the intracoastal and stay the summer on my boat...but that is alot of fuel money..haha
  17. Tashmoo1

Tashmoo1 New Member

Vintage Vikings

We run out of Falmouth, MA and enjoy fishing & cruising around the Cape and Islands. At some time hope to do some cruising/fishing around the Sarasota FL area. Due for a warmer change. Getting ready to launch our Viking this week.
  18. PierPressure40

You must be excited to launch the boat. I monitor the weather up there all the time and it seems you have a nice week coming up. Do you have any pictures of your boat? Have you changed or done anything since you have bought the Viking? I see from some of your previous posts, you researched and were torn about different boats. Hope you are very happy with your Viking.
  19. Bamagirl

Bamagirl New Member

1972 Viking 33 here with powered by twin Crusader 454 gasoline engines - 375 horsepower each. Been living aboard her for the last 2 and half years on the Black Warrior River just outside the University of Alabama campus.
  20. GeorgeG

GeorgeG New Member

1976 43' DC with 671N's, and I am definitely a fan. My baby is double tough and even survives me being her Captain. always a project going on, but that is part of the boat world, and each project I learn more about her.