Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service

Viking 1988 44MY, coastal cruiser or blue water?

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by Brian Darling, Oct 26, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Brian Darling

Brian Darling New Member

My wife absolutely loved a 1988 Viking 44 MY at the Annapolis power boat show. She said is was "homey" and loved the "back porch". I had to agree with her... My question to everyone is, "would you consider this boat strictly a coastal cruiser or would you consider it to have the bones to be a blue water boat?" And if you think it's blue water worthy, what aspects of the boat warrant your trust? Look forward to hearing all opinions !!
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

The boat can likely take more blue water than the personnel. She's robust in her build, on a sportfish hull by a well regarded US boat builder. Beyond the pedigree - the access in the engine room is very tight and the doors and companionways are not designed for the "full figured" yachtsman. Once a very popular high dollar model, the 44 Viking MY's are quite dated by today's standards and as such are now selling for bargain basement prices. There appear to be several available within a half day's drive from Annapolis. I'd visit all of them before you pull the trigger.
  3. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

I agree w SeaEric

a very nice boat capable of coastal cruising, and island/inlet hopping.
    Not an Ocean crosser, but I don't think that is what you are asking.

I know of two of them with Detroits that both had inframes.
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Backing up a step to defining "Coastal Cruiser" and "Blue Water Boat." Those phrases mean different things to different people. To some, blue water means crossing oceans. To others it means running outside in 6-8' waves. To others, running outside on calm days, 3-4'. Coastal means to some just running the ICW and to others running outside in calm conditions.

I see the boat mentioned as one capable of nice runs outside in calm to moderate conditions and capable of handling more safely, but not comfortably enough most people would want to run. Still nice for being out in 3-4' with moderate periods and if it changes to 4-6' before you can get back in, safety still not an issue.
    KatNEvan likes this.