Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Delta Click for Cross Click for Northern Lights Click for Perko

Toolboxes - onboard and portable - compact

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by 30West, Jul 13, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Proto is also owned by Stanley Black and Decker. Their brands are
  2. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

Boy I didn't know I have millions of Stanley Black & Decker tools in inventory, seems they are buying up the entire tool market. :D.
  3. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

That's their approach.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

When you can't compete, buy your competition. Life by Dometic....
  5. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Just as an aside, I still have my grandfather's Britool toolbox from the 1930's. It comes with all the old tools from his Air Force days in the 40's. So if anyone needs Rolls Royce Merlin numbered pipe wrenches, I have a full set for sale!

With all tools, you get what you pay for, same with the tool chest. Saying that, speak to local engineers, there's always a company doing a deal as it's such a competitive market these days.

https://www.tooled-up.com/britool-expert-10-drawer-tool-chest/prod/207864/
  6. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

7. Lepke

Lepke Member

US West Coast. Cruise NW Passage to Alaska.
    I made room for a full size shop roll around, but w/o the wheels and bolted down. When I bought the current boat, I knew I had to overhaul the engines and needed my tools. If you don't beat up the paint, metal tool boxes will last many years. Put mats in the drawers or box bottom to absorb tools dropping.
    My old roll around lasted from 1968 to 2010. A little rusty, but still in good shape. It had been on tugs, commercial fishing boats and 3 barns.
  8. Iknownothing

Iknownothing Member

If space is an issue, I'd strongly recommend a CLC bag like the 1539. Holds a ton of stuff and is very well made. Maybe around $50-60 on amazon.

9. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Have a canvas tool bag similar and is real handy for most used tools & etc. Never wanted to put my good steel boxes in a er. Harbor Freight has a good selection of Chinese stuff at cheap prices which hold up fairly good in a marine environment.
  10. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

I once bought one of those Harbor Freight knock-offs. It was junk within 6 months. The bearings in the drawers gave up and the rubber in the bases melted onto all the tools. Why? Dunno, allergic to WD40?
  11. bayoubud

bayoubud Senior Member

Yeah, they dissolve like some plastic lures! They are knock-offs. Back when I used hand and power tools often would buy the good stuff. Now I buy the throw away stuff, you can buy the drill and batteries for what a new battery cost. If making a living with your tools...that is different.
  12. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

Easiest way for a CEO to show "growth" and make the stockholders happy as well as getting himself big bonuses.