Click for JetForums Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking

Time Share Yachting

Discussion in 'General Catamaran Discussion' started by catamaran, Nov 17, 2005.

1. catamaran

catamaran New Member

Time share yachting is an affordable and innovative alternative to boat ownership. A time-share charter vacation is a novel concept for the crewed charter industry;that offers the opportunity to explore the seas in a way that many dream about, but few actually get the chance to experience.

But it’s one that’s now available to BVI thrill-seekers, and the options are both affordable and exceptional. Owning a boat is no longer for just the opulent few.
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Not to discourage anyone, but I believe that as with most time share projects, the real benefits are with the seller. In crewed yachting almost all projects I have heard of in recent years, has failed.

If anyone know of a successful yacht time share project, it would be interesting to hear more about it and for how long it has been running?
  3. taobsu

taobsu New Member

Interesting idea.

I saw and heard some time-shares for motoryach, but not for catamaran. What is the advantage comparing rent directly from typical yacht charter operator, such as Moorings, Sunsail.

How much save you can get from it? what kind boat (model) we are talking about?. How many people will be owners for the boat. if only 12 people participate, is that means I have to stay BVI a month of any given year. Does the cat well be relocated if I am tired of BVI eventually?

I am also interesting to know more about yacht time share.
  4. catamaran

catamaran New Member

I can tell you that the boats in question are the Lagoon 440 and the Lagoon Power 43, and similar models.

This time sharing concept with guaranteed income and saling vacation benefits is being reffered to as a "Cruise Club". It has been successfully introduced at major boat events such as the Annapolis Boat Show and The Fort Lauderdale Boat Show.

5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Absolutely Sir, just make sure you have a dozen boutiques, a hair dresser, a beauty salon, a few bars, a swimmingpool, dance floor and a couple of nice orchestras onboard. :cool:
  6. CTdave

CTdave Senior Member

I just happen to know someone who is in the final stages of putting the money & yachts together for a company specializing in fractional ownership/time share. They are starting out with 5 Benettis. I'll tell you more as it comes together.
  7. catamaran

catamaran New Member

I know that a "Mini Cruise" will not offer everything that a large ship can carry. But, some consumers like myself will place a higher value on crusing privately with thier significant other or family.
  8. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

You are right, a 12 m boat can never replace a 300 m cruise ship and I doubt they will "draw a significant number" of such clients. I for one, would rather go with your cats (on charter, not timeshare) and would never even consider the cruise ship.
    It is today 99 percent different target groups and nothing to include in a business plan if you ask me. But you might have your own research?
  9. catamaran

catamaran New Member

Catamarans and Private Charters are a niche market within the industry (broad). In the recent 10 years interest in cats has increased dramatically.
  10. sailronin

sailronin Senior Member

I have seen several attempts to follow the "time share" model with large, crewed yachts. As mentioned above, all have failed.
    "Resort Ships" was having a series of 102-105 footers built for the shared ownership idea. Place identical yachts in several popular yachting locations and let the "owners" book in location of choice without having to relocate yacht. Sound idea, but it never worked.....
    Others have tried concept with single boat and multiple owners (from 1/4 to 1/32 ownership) with limited success. Traditional partnerships are difficult enough to keep solvent, the more owners in the mix, to more difficult it becomes.
    Maybe someone will come up with the "magic" combination, I wish Benetti luck, but wouldn't put any my money on the outcome.

Dave
  11. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

And almost 10 yrs later did this idea float successfully?
  12. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

No!

Fractional ownership, time sharing, combined ownership or even sharing a boat or boats within a familily does only work in very rare cases. It is always prone for trouble. Believe me, I can tell from own experience. The fleet of a combined family can be managed and operated under one flag but everybody own his own boat. There are things in this world, a man should not share: boats, personal planes, expensive cars and there was one more "thing" I can't remember :p.

And do not give me Netjet as an positive example. That is plane rental, called fractional ownership for pleasing the rules and the tax department.
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

[QUOTE="HTM09]There are things in this world, a man should not share: boats, personal planes, expensive cars and there was one more "thing" I can't remember[/QUOTE]

Just remember the three F's and you won't go wrong
  14. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Actually a good bit of what started as fractional ownership has ended up as fractional leasing.
  15. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The company that starts with an M seems to be doing ok with fractional ownership for the past 10 years. 10 owners to 1 yacht, 4 weeks per year per owner. However, owners selling their shares sometimes take a while. Not the ideal situation for the boat or crew, but it seems to be successful from a money standpoint. I have one owner that has had a share in a 100' since 2006 and has always enjoyed it, but now wants out and wants his own 100'-112' MY.
  16. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

They have some brokers working heavily in their behalf too. I was watching an episode of Buying Yachts. The couple loved a boat beyond their means, but after being on it, didn't like the one they could afford. However, the concept of getting a $3 million boat and only investing $300k appealed, especially as they realized that they were highly unlikely to be able to use a boat more than 4 weeks per year.
  17. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

These were two 'time sharing ideas' that I had posted:
    1) Ocean Research Vessel
    http://www.yachtforums.com/threads/gamefishing-for-sail-under-sail-and-power.1548/#post-4907

2) Remote Area Fishing Vessel ( several smaller vessels strategically placed, vs single mother ship)
    Here's one alternative idea in charter....remote area fishing groups. I once had several gentlemen talking to me about building 6 of my gamefishing cats and stationing them around the world in various prime, remote, big-game fishing areas in lieu of a 'mothership operation' that was anchored to one location and had to be moved as a whole entity. They figured the cost equation was near the same at 6 of my vessels.

3) Ownership/Charter Options
    http://www.runningtideyachts.com/charter/

Going Where the Fish Are

Gamefishing for Sail under Sail