Click for Cross Click for MotorCheck Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Mag Bay

Tiara 3800 Open

Discussion in 'Tiara Yacht' started by Necessary Evil, Mar 23, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Necessary Evil

Necessary Evil New Member

I just bought a 2008 Tiara 3800 Open. Its got the 490 HP common rail Cummins and, so far, I've really enjoyed her. Does anyone have any experience with the late model Tiara's? Any issues I should be on the lookout for?

Tight Lines to All!

Attached Files:

2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I ran that and the 35 around a fair bit last summer. Nothing bad I can tell you.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I ran an '07 38' flybridge with a hardtop and enclosure. It was a nice boat, nicely finished inside and out, engine room was a tiny bit tight on the flybridge boat. It did have a tendancy to lean to winward at cruise, but could be corrected with the trim tabs. It rode nice and handled well. All in all a good boat for the size.
  4. Necessary Evil

I hope few responses = few problems :)

I've run her in seas up to eight feet. Go slow, and she'll handle it pretty well.
  5. CaptainMoto

CaptainMoto New Member

I've owned Tiaras and have always thought they do a great job on fit and finish. On a sea trial of the 38 OPEN I experienced the transom door allowed sea water into the cockpit when coming off plane. I did not back her down, but suspect you might have wet feet if you do.
  6. Yachtguymke

Yachtguymke Senior Member

Wet Feet?

I don't think you would have wet feet while backing down as the Helm is raised up off of the aft deck, correct??
  7. CaptainMoto

CaptainMoto New Member

You are correct Yachtguymke. I didn't mean it that literally, but rather to suggest you might expect some water in the cockpit.
    In any case, Necessary Evil, you've got a nice boat there and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I've found the TIARA cockpits to be great fishing platforms, their non-skid is a little tough on bare feet but, provides excellent grip when fish guts are flying.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I agree with that, the nonskid on Tiara's is serious stuff, I think they took it off of a cheese grater. They're a pain to keep the nonskid clean too. hehehe
  9. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Do experienced boaters actually go barefoot on deck? Personally, I've bent more toes on cleats and pulled more fish hooks out of my feet and busted every other part of my body slipping when bare feet met slippery decks in my younger days that my shoes don't come off till I'm coming in the salon door. I'll take that cheese grater non-skid.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I always wear shoes and agree with you there. BUT, the non skid is very deep, and everything gets stuck in the grooves like fish guts, leaves, marks, and it's hard to keep looking clean clean..... and if you do slip.....it's like sliding across 36 grit sandpaper
  11. Necessary Evil

The boat's doing very well. I was coming back north from Key West the day those NFL guys drowned off Tampa. Steep six to eight footers in FL Bay. Had to slow down to about 14 kts, but nothing shook loose. The non skid is indeed a cheese grater, but its nice on a rough day. It is a pain to keep clean, but thats what cleaning services are for :) No problems with the cockpit door so far. Love the common rail Cummins! Computer controlled deisels are truly revolutionary. No smoke, efficient, and smooth!
  12. JB1150

JB1150 New Member

Evil,

Your thoughts/observations after having a year with the Tiara.
  13. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

Ouch!!!!
  14. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Capt. J is being nice. The non-skid on Tiaras is so abrasive it should be a product liability. It was patterned after a waffle iron and could easily be used to descale a fish.
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Duel purpose.:D Does anybody remember painting non-skid with the grit. You want to talk sandpaper.:eek: The idea is that when you're on deck in rough weather you want your feet to stick. You don't crawl on you knees in shorts.