Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander

Through hull fittings maintenance

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by Jnicholas, Jul 24, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Jnicholas

Jnicholas Member

I "exercise" my valves almost every weekend all work realatively smoothly but the raw water intake for both engines are stiff. They are larger and difficult to reach but definitely harder to operate. The intakes are clean from outside the boat. Strainers are clean inside the boat, bonding wire are attached and appear in good working order but is there a way to lubricate while in the water? While at haul out can they be lubricated? Thanks for ideas....
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

No and NO. The larger seacocks generally tend to be harder to manipulate and should have longer handles. You can get a 1' or so piece of pipe the fits over the handle for more leverage. They also sell such a thing, and it has a cut out so you can use it 90 degrees as well or parallel with the handle and they're cheap.

http://www.hopkins-carter.com/seacockhelper1.html
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Nature of the beast. Small ones (up to 2") should be pretty easy if you excercize them monthly. Bigger ones can be very hard without an extension
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Do you have a Cock with a nut or a mini T on the other side from the handle?
    The older (pretty old) cocks can be serviced.
    Some of the newer ball cocks may have a little screw in the side hiding threads for a zerk (grease) fitting.
    Forespar makes a grease for their Marelon cocks.
    Most of the standard ball cocks now days are non serviceable.

Of course, the more you have to reach down in the bilge, your not able to apply good pressure to it well like your larger and hard to reach engine cocks.

I remember one brand of ball cocks that had a 1/2" square hole in the handle end to accept a 1/2" drive ratchet or pull bar.

Some kids up here use heavy schedule PVC pipe with a real heavy grey 90 glued to it's end.
    They store them next to the cock.
  5. Fishtigua

Fishtigua Senior Member

Anyone remember the old Blakes/Lavac seacocks?

They had their own maintenance routine with this stuff.

blakes.jpg
  6. Jnicholas

Jnicholas Member

Not sure what is on the far side of handle. Will have to check. Pretty sure there is not a zerk fitting. That would be too easy. I'll have to experiment with a handle. Pretty tight next to transmissions
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The ones I posted a link to are even sold at West Marine, but you can use them 90 degrees as well as horizontal with the handle.......can also tap the handle with a rubber mallet to get it to move also.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I said; a little screw in the side hiding threads for a zerk.
    If you can, send lots of pics if you can not ID the cock.