Click for Nordhavn Click for Mag Bay Click for Burger Click for Burger Click for Mulder

Teak - switching from oil, to natural..a few ?'s

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Fletcher500, Feb 5, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

You don't need to scrub the grain out of it, just get a doodle pad and lightly brush it across the grain.....it's the chemicals that really do the work, not you.
  2. LUCKYDOG 3

LUCKYDOG 3 New Member

TIP TOP TEAK GREAT STUFF HAMILTON MARINE
  3. CaptPKilbride

CaptPKilbride Senior Member

I have found the tip top teak to be the harshest of all the chemicals mentioned thus far in this thread.
    I have used Amazon One Step Teak Cleaner with very good results. Seems to be a lot milder, doesn't beat up on the deck, and leaves a dark honey brown color.
    As CaptainJ mentioned, no hard scrubbing. Let the chemical have a little time to do its thing.
    Because I liked the lighter color better, I would follow the Amazon One Step Teak Cleaner with the Starbrite Teak Brightener.
  4. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I use Snappy Teak two part system and put the 1st part into a sprayer to insure uniform coverage; far less is used that way as well. Really don't to use a brush when applied that way unless it's been a really long time since the last cleaning.
  5. Fletcher500

Fletcher500 Member

Thanks again for the input everyone. I am headed in to the yard in early April, so I will do the teak shortly after that and I will post some pics.
  6. Trak

Trak Member

How often do you have to do a swim platform is S FL. with the Gary's product?
  7. rpontual

rpontual Member

I have been brushing with salt water and soft brush every two weeks. So far the color is staying as in the "after" picture from SeaEric.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It depends, when it gets a bit discolored......I generally do it every 4-6 weeks maybe.
  9. Beau

Beau Senior Member

What is sudsy ammonia? Different than regular ammonia I take it...