Click for Mulder Click for Furuno Click for Northern Lights Click for Perko Click for Westport

Symbol Yacht information, opinions ...

Discussion in 'Symbol Yacht' started by robgoz, Mar 21, 2006.

1. robgoz

robgoz New Member

I am buying a 1988 39' dcmy command bridge hard top Symbol. Is there any info still avilable for this model ? Thanks Rob
  2. Noodlyarm

Noodlyarm New Member

I own a 1994 Symbol 54' Pilothouse motor yacht. It is new to me and I can use all the help I can get.

Thanks,
    Peter
  3. Noodlyarm

Noodlyarm New Member

Well, I sold my 54. I hope the new owners enjoy her as much as we did. Good news or a confirmation of my stupidity as a repeat buyer - I bought another Symbol, this one is a 557. Nearly the same boat, but 5 years newer and more nicely finished and equipped.
  4. OldScotman

OldScotman New Member

I purchased a Symbol Yacht last Dec. I am interested in any updates or comments or suggestions related to Maintenance and Upgrades.

Thank you.
  5. Noodlyarm

Noodlyarm New Member

Hello. I'd be delighted to collaborate and discuss possible maintenance items and other upgrades. It's really dependent upon how your Symbol is equipped.

For my 1999 Symbol all of the electronics (NAV, entertainment, charging systems, lighting, etc.) were of that same vintage.

I replaced all of the NAV electronics with Simrad NSS Evo2, new TV and AV receiver, New Aigean Wifi antenna system, new Magnum Energy charger/inverters, and LED lighting everywhere. This next season I'll upgrade the house battery bank from 300Ah AGMs to 1,200Ah AGMs. That should about do it on the electrical bits.

I'll need a new Bimini top in 2 years. I need to decide on a full enclosure or not. I don't want the windage, but it would make driving from up too much nicer as I use the boat year round up in the PNW.
  6. OldScotman

OldScotman New Member

Have you finished with all your upgrades. I am also considering a full enclosure or maybe just three sides (front and two sides). Planning on traveling back down to Florida for the winter (on the ICW) - Solomons MD to Palmento, Florida.
  7. Noodlyarm

Noodlyarm New Member

Mostly... I did all the electronics and mechanical items. That leaves the Bimini and enclosure, which I’ve not yet done. I did do this on my prior Symbol and it really made a difference up top, most noticeably in the winter where I drove year round in the PNW.

Outside of cash, my only hesitation with my new Symbol is the additional windage. Getting in and out of the slip in a breeze with the Bimini and enclosure is a much bigger challenge.

I don’t think 3 or 4 sides would make a difference in windage. It would make a difference with regards to the “station waggon effect” (sucking exhaust fumes into the flybridge). Been there and done that on other boats and it renders the flybridge unusable underway. When I do put one on, I’ll go for all 4 sides.
  8. ctozz

ctozz New Member

What is a comparable manufacturer to symbol? For example Hatteras, OA, sea ray, tiara? Are they high end/quality, middle of the road or lower end production boats?
  9. paulham

paulham New Member

OA is close - I believe
  10. kickstartit

kickstartit New Member

I would look at a Flemming for a comparison.
  11. Noodlyarm

Noodlyarm New Member

In my opinion (only my opinion) and at the risk of offending many boaters... Outer Reef, Fleming, Marlow, Hampton, Offshore, and OA are top tier PHMY. Symbol, GB, North Pacific and Grand Alaskan are mid-tier. Navigator, Carver, and Bayliner are lower-tier. Within this very general categorization there is a large variance in price and value. Each boat is a designers different answer to problems and customer demands.

There are lots of boats out there that appeal to different buyers for different reasons. At the end of the day, they are all good boats and any boat beats the heck out of no boat.
  12. paulham

paulham New Member

I am just purchased my Symbol and learning the ins and outs of my 1996 41' Symbol SunBridge. It has mostly been sitting in its slip for the last 10 years and stepping on her felt a little like stepping back in time. We are in the process of remodeling the interior (carpet, seat covers, lights, etc.) The Cummins have only 1200 hours and checked out good. Although the interior wood is in excellent cond. the electronics are out of date and I am in the process of replacing. The instrument dash is also unimpressive and will need sprucing up. The ceiling panels are drouping a bit and I tried cement glue but that's not holding, so I will have to screw fasten each one to make secure. When I had her hoisted out I notice a small keel heading from bow to stern. I have never seen this before on a power boat. I think because of the that she handles steady and is easy to turn into it slip without much drifting, even in a small breeze. So far I am very impressed with the quality, and room this boat gives us, compared to my previous boat, a 35' Silverton 2003.
  13. Noodlyarm

Noodlyarm New Member

My 1994 and 1999 both had the same keel you describe. Both boats track well, even on 1 engine. I know that as I blew a tranny in Friday Harbor and had to limp back home on just the 1 good one. I was even able to back it into the slip. The rudders could be bigger to provide more control, but with operating twin engines that’s probably not a requirement.

Glad you like your Symbol. I’m a big fan of mine too!
  14. kickstartit

kickstartit New Member

15. Noodlyarm

Noodlyarm New Member

Mine are Velcro’d on too. I replaced the old worn Velcro with grey heavy-duty Velcro with the adhesive back. I also stapled the Velcro on to make sure it stays attached. This solution has worked well for me.
  16. Noodlyarm

Noodlyarm New Member

I sold my beautiful Symbol 557 in July 2020. I have few complaints about the Symbol design, build, system selection, or quality. Great value for money boats.

Now on to my next boat!