Click for MotorCheck Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for Perko

Sunreef 70' opinions on quality?

Discussion in 'General Catamaran Discussion' started by 06kingranch, Jul 11, 2010.

1. 06kingranch

06kingranch New Member

Hi does anyone have any information about this company and the quality of Cat they produce. We are looking @ buying a Cat in the near future in this size range. Also looking @ The Prout line of power cat any information about them would also be appreciated.

Thanks
    06kingranch
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I toured the Sunreef 70' at the 2010 Miami Boat Show in February. Sunreef's marketing director Ewa Stachurska took me through the boat. This was the 5th boat they had launched and she was quite proud of the level of finish work they had achieved. A casual glance is all that was needed to be utterly stunned by that statement. A closer look left me cringing... and wondering what the other four boats looked like?

Sunreef's designs are attractive; possibly the only cats to capture that element, which has gone missing with most of the multihulls on the market. But that's where the excitment ends. The level of finish and detail on these boats is not on par with any of the yachts we have reviewed on YF. It's not even close.

As we stepped inside, hoping for redemption, it only got worse. The interior layout, ergonomics and space planning were not well conceived. For instance, you could not stand upright at the helm because the slope of the windcreen, where it met the ceiling, was too low for anyone standing 5'10" or taller. I won't go into the inferior, whoops... I mean interior joinery.

I have subsequently stopped running the numerous press releases the company sends us. And we won't be doing any reviews.
  3. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

I didn't even make it inside this boat at Miami, but based on the questionable finish on the hull that I saw, apparently I did not miss anything. Cracking in the finish and noticable repairs and such on the port hull had me scratching my head: if the good side is to the dock, how does the other side look?
  4. toolmaker

toolmaker New Member

sunreef

This is one major reason i truly enjoy this site; Honest , direct , responsible responses and evaluations of product or service.

So many businesses refuse to state what they believe or render an honest evaluation,

Thank you.
  5. ayachtguy

ayachtguy Senior Member

Good for YachtForums: not one responder made the obvious Polish joke. I, however, don't have that tact and that's what the Sunreef 70 is.

Capt. Tom saw the hull damage at Miami and the sales people were saying it was caused during ship transit and there wasn't time to repair it. Nevertheless, it did show that as Sunreef transitions from aluminum construction to composites, they are continuing to rely on gallons of Bondo to fair what can only be described as a poorly molded and rippled hull. And that showed in some areas of the hull where the fiberglass had obviously been laid up by skilled welders.

The Miami boat had a dark wenge interior that was very Euro, but so dark that you needed a flashlight to poke around the guest cabins (with tiny windows) even though there was supposedly a very sophisticated lighting system.

The salon? Huge, but a colossal waste of space. Guests sitting on a couch have to turn sideways to watch television? On the other side of the salon is the biggest wetbar I've ever seen. And in between is enough space to film Dancing With The Stars.

Step up to the pilothouse and you'll see why you never want to be close to a Sunreef on the water: the skipper can only see straight ahead. With no side windows and a low ceiling, the view is akin to peering out of a WWII concrete bunker. Oh, wait, this was built in Poland. Right. Add to that a settee in the pilothouse placed so low that guests can't see out, and you have to wonder.

The master stateroom is gigantic, but it's just empty space and with a limited view outside. And the guest cabins are arranged so that access to the berths means climbing over your bed partner. Could be good news, could be bad.

It almost seemed as though the people who designed the exterior never talked to those who designed the interior. Overall fit and finish of the joinery was right up there to Motel Six standards. In fact, I've had better water views from a Motel Six than from this "luxury yacht".

I have to wonder about a yacht so badly arranged and with such a low level of quality in areas I can see. What's going on where I can't look?
  6. 06kingranch

06kingranch New Member

That is really to bad we were really hoping they would be built better then that. And they do look good in pictures. Does anyone know about Prout line of cats. I thank you all for the info that will save us a lot of time and money.

Thank you
    John
  7. wsfenix2002

wsfenix2002 New Member

I thank the aid

I am looking a Cat-Sail of 60 ', I found a Sunreef 62 ' year 2005 sera that these commentaries also serve for this type of boat, I am scared.:confused:
  8. wsfenix2002

wsfenix2002 New Member

Sunreef or Leopard

I am also with offers of 1 leopard 62 ', somebody could give some information of this boat?
    I thank the aid very.
  9. Pelagic Dreams

Pelagic Dreams Senior Member

Give this boat a look

We are also thinking about a larger power cat, and one that seems like it has great quality and design is the Pacific Expedition 60. Built in Oregon. Give the website a look.
  10. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The Horizon 58' is a very nice cat.
  11. wsfenix2002

wsfenix2002 New Member

I am thanks Pelagic Dreans and CapJ I go to verify, I am with offers of Leopard 62 ' and Sunreef 62 ', you know you have some information on these marks.
  12. wsfenix2002

wsfenix2002 New Member

Clarifying, my intention of purchase is exclusively boat the candle :D

Thanks
  13. RumMonkeySF

RumMonkeySF New Member

My honest and humble opinion: Avoid this particular model. I ran a 58 simonis designed cat for years. I looked into these 62's (otherwise found as a moorings 620). I didnt come across many that didnt have issues. And the one boat I looked at that was sound, turned out to sail like a dog. Any 62ft sail cat that has 2 1/4" shafts and swings 26" props should tell us something. Lots of motorsailing!!
  14. wsfenix2002

wsfenix2002 New Member

Thanks RumMonkey,

I thank its opinion very, I go to take consideration and to look other Cats

Wanderley,
  15. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Good day sir. Can you explain "purchase is exclusively boat the candle".
    That word "candle" is confusing.
    This is a candle:
    candle light Holidays Easter Wallpaper Desktop wallpaper

You are looking for 55-60 foot catamaran for you and your wife?
    Only used, or possible new?

Also have you seen this forum subject thread?
    http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/general-catamaran-discussion/19254-catamaran-design-bridgedeck-clearance.html

Brian
  16. wsfenix2002

wsfenix2002 New Member

Thanks Brian Eiland,

Yes, my interest is for Catamaran 60 ' up to 65 ' of candles with 4 or 5 complete berths. I look to used base year 2003/2005, prices lower.

Yes, I understand the problems informed in the site, many prefer to wait better conditions of time, therefore the life in catamaran is comfortable, sail-boat follows the motionless front therefore or sailing the life it is equal.
    Catamarans of 60/65' all has air conditioning, the heat of the kitchen goes for is, today has environment controllers who do not leave moisture.
  17. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Hi Wanderley,
    I've sent you a private message as it may not be proper to discuss direct commerical transactions here on the forum.

I've also contacted a friend of mine in Brazil who might be able to help us with the language barrier :confused:

I have a couple of suggestions for you.
    Brian