Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Walker

Summer Storage on Land S Florida

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by kennorth, May 18, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. kennorth

kennorth New Member

I'm getting ready to head North and want to store my 54' 18"beam 21' height powerboat out of the water for the next 5 months. It would be best in a hurricane proof building that is climate controlled in S Florida. I'm in Fort Lauderdale and don't mind traveling to far. There is a place up in Stuart - River Forest yard that does this but they don't have anymore room this year. They have another yard but it is over by Fort Myers and would too far. Does anyone know of any other facilities on that can handle this boat for inside storage?
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That is the only place I can think of and the reason for that is there is no demand for it. I know of covered in the water slips. Cable Marine, Roscioli, Bradford, LMC, and Derectors all have covered in the water slips. So, that would be your best bet along with having someone to watch the boat periodically.

If you keep the boat out of the water and in the sun, your entire interior will get destroyed with mold without air conditioning.
  3. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

A few covered slips at private residences next to 17th street bridge. Max length about 55'. For rent by owners. PM and I can check if there is an empty one.
  4. kennorth

kennorth New Member

I would think that there might be more of a demand for this. What about the smaller 30-40' boats that are inside rack stored in the Fort Lauderdale area. Do they get mold problems? Is it just boats that are on land out in the sun that get mold.? I know if I leave it in the insurance bill will triple during hurricane season.

I guess I'm going to go to River Forest in LaBelle FL for their out of the water inside climate controlled hurricane proof building storage until next Nov.
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Last paragraph first. Your insurer may have a huge hurricane season penalty, but they don't all. There are plenty of us with year round boats in South Florida. Now, if you don't intend to use it, that's no problem. But if you're forgoing use because of some rule, I'd relook at it.

As to sun and mold, really two separate issues. The sun will definitely age your interior rapidly. Now, the simple answer would seem to be a cover, but then that has it's own problems including mold.

As to the boats on the inside racks. they obviously don't have the sun issues, but generally they are in slightly better situations as far as mold. Any boat though left unattended for months can very easily develop mold problems. A house without A/C on would do the same. Pool furniture requires regular care and treatment. We keep the A/C on in the boats.

River Forest is able to meet many needs as to location, as to land, as to cover. I've heard many happy customers. They are very unique. In South Florida there isn't the demand for such a facility, at least not at the price one would have to charge.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Usually if you have a good hurricane plan for keeping the boat secure in the water your rates will not double or triple. Usually that plan consists of double tieing lines, adding additional fenders, removing any loose items such as canvas and cushions.
  7. kennorth

kennorth New Member

Thanks for your replies - I go up to New England for the summer so this is dead storage for 5 months. I just want it to go to some place safe where I do not have to worry about until I return. If I left it in the water it would cost less for storage but more for insurance then I would have to worry about storms.