Click for Comfort Click for JetForums Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for MotorCheck

Summer 2009: Pacific NorthWest Yard Tour...

Discussion in 'Special Features & Live Show Coverage' started by YachtForums, Jun 29, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When dazzled by displays, we often forget what a bridge looks like in the bones...
  2. ... or what hides behind plush ceiling panels. This will soon become a decorative, recessed and back-lit dome over the salon of the 164'.
  3. Long before the build, it starts with a plan. Each build has a complete set of 3-D schematics, used during the build to identify parts, sequence, location, etc. We were unable to locate the drink holders.
  4. Westport has a HUGE cabinet shop located on the airport, separate from their lamination plant on the water's edge in Port Angeles. This picture depicts one of many, many rooms under one roof that stretch half-way down the runway. I might be exaggerating a bit, but when you consider the numbers of boats that Westport has built, a shop of this size and capability is a prerequisite to keep up with demand.
  5. Another section of the woodshop. I could keep posting pics, but you get the idea...
  6. This is a finish room, where hi-gloss wood coats get a final buffing with micro-glaze and a wheel. Special thanks to Dennis and Ben for their time and the continuing education.
  7. On Saturday, we took a break from boats and took to the air in a Dehavilland Otter, a single-engine turbo prop with floats from Kenmore Air that toted us to Roche Harbor, in the San Juan Islands for Ocean Alexander’s regatta. That's my 'Significant Assistant' smiling for YF.
  8. Our pilot, Chris, let me take the co-pilot position. I asked where the collective stick was located, hence the disturbed look on his face...
  9. The view while flying out to the San Juan Islands is spectacular.
  10. As we approached Roche Harbor, we spotted 3 Orca's breaking surface!
  11. From the air, you can see the northeast dock (upper left) lined with old and new Ocean Alexanders for their Roche Harbor Regatta.
  12. On our return trip, we were lucky enough to catch a flight on 'Maggie', the last DeHavilland Beaver ever built, restored to her original glory by Kenmore Air. Equipped with a 450hp Pratt & Whitney radial engine, ear plugs are an option to consider. I preferred the melody of nine silos.
  13. If you have any vocational student in you, you've probably heard somewhere along the line that old radials need Jed Clampett's oil reserve to keep nine cylinders happy. OK... I'll accept that. But nothing can prepare you for seeing the oil fill located in the cockpit! Note to newbies... don't add oil during flight, but keep it handy at each stop.
  14. On Sunday, we made a run for the border and met with YF’s “OutMyWindow” for a guided tour of Vancouver, BC. We also got a much better understanding of his screen name. Outside his Window is one of the most magnificent, culturally diverse cities in the world... and you should see his view. Thank you OMW!
  15. Monday morning started with a visit to Richmond Yachts. Originally, we planned to meet Ben Doderell, who was previously the Naval Architect for Hargrave. Ben's a member of YF and invited me to stop by during our trip. Unfortunately, he wasn't feeling well that day, so we met with Kieth Kiselback, the president of Richmond Yachts and took a tour of the yard.
  16. This is one of the latest ladies from Richmond, although she looks a bit like a Walrus in this picture...
  17. She's all caged-up now, but soon to be a debutant. This new 150' tri-deck will actually shed her scaffolding in time for FLIBS.
  18. Here's a shot along the hull. Although it's still in the fairing process, this boat is actually much more complete than it looks. Much of the wiring and plumbing has been routed, sub-systems installed and the interior woodwork is taking shape.
  19. For example, this shot of the 150's bridge shows some of the final interior trim pieces have been installed. At any given time, there are 100's of processes taking place. It's a puzzle of unfathomable proportion. Special thanks to Kieth Kiselback for taking time to give us a tour.
  20. Our last stop was to spend time with an old friend, Jim Hawkins, the project manager and engineer behind Crescent/Queenship. Jim's one of the most knowledgeable people in boat building and he's teamed up with Lee Taubeneck, the new president of Crescent/Queenship, who was previously in charge of Westport’s Port Angeles facility and responsible for their 164’ project. Not just the boat, but implementation of entire facility! Lee gave us an extensive tour of something very new, very innovative and very exciting from Queenship. It has been kept under wraps for months and I'm proud that YF is the first to unveil this new boat... the Queenship 74' motoryacht. If you're looking for a boat in this size range, you MUST take a look at this boat!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.